Nathan Buckley

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Meredith1965

Nathan Buckley

Post by Meredith1965 »

Amid all of the club legends who have been honoured in the past few days one seems a bit of a ghost at the feast. Players reporting how much more at ease the club feels, how good relationships under Fly have been, etc, all make me notice how quiet Bucks has been. I think he is a club legend and one of our two or three greatest ever players, but I wonder what he feels about it ?

It will be interesting to hear what he says when he breaks his silence about it. It must be hard when you give your heart and soul to something but cannot quite achieve it, then someone else comes in and smashes it out of the park so quickly.
Last edited by Meredith1965 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonmac1954
Been liked: 19 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

I really think it's time to stop the hand wringing over Bucks whatever end of the opinion spectrum you hold.
One of our greatest ever players and come within 1 kick and one extremely dubious umpiring decision of being a flag winning coach.
Nothing more needs to be said really.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

I agree with your summation of his great contribution to the club, but it’s an intriguing human question as to what he makes of it and how he carries it, esp given his media role. Football is an emotional game, after all.
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

Well it is intriguing but not really something I feel is on my "need to know" list.

I'm old enough to have been born into a world that valued privacy as a right.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

Privacy ???? He’s a media figure who makes a living talking about football.

We’re not talking about his private life !
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

Not a consideration as far as I'm concerned.

It's just an opinion Meradith not a personal attack.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

He has spoken about it about an hour ago :

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/10/01/ ... -in-footy/
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

fwiw, I think Nathan Buckley deserves some credit for this. He instilled a strong defensive mindset in the team (perhaps too much, but an important strength nonetheless). Would we have had the same determination and mettle to win this grand final had we not gone through the pain of 2018? Yes, we'd rather have won it, but the fact is we didn't, and it may just have driven our older (and injury plagued) guys in 2023 when our chance came around once again.
I find your lack of faith disturbing
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Bux again was pure class this morning. The personnel and DNA of our backline is with him:

B: Quaynor Murphy Howe
HB: Crisp Moore Maynard

(all part of his era)

Fly took it to the next level.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Bucks was at the club last week, he gets on great with the players. There are a few who didn’t but they’re (rightly) not at the club anymore. Give you a guess how their footy careers are going since. Bucks is a club legend, well liked and respected. End of story.
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Bucks was at the club last week, he gets on great with the players. There are a few who didn’t but they’re (rightly) not at the club anymore. Give you a guess how their footy careers are going since. Bucks is a club legend, well liked and respected. End of story.
Agreed - it's only people with personal agendas that try to suggest otherwise . . . . . . still.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Yes great insight into Buckley this morning on SEN
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/10/01/ ... -in-footy/

some of Buckley's quotes on SEN:
"Talk about emotions. I’m sure I joined nearly every Collingwood person in feeling like we’ve ridden a rollercoaster at different times,”

“I have a fairly unique view of all of that given my experiences at the club. The ride on Saturday was as emotional as I’ve ever been a part of.

“There were things coming out of me that I didn’t know were in there. Shared with a couple of my old teammates and old legends of the club in a little Collingwood enclave.

“I was sitting next to Nick Maxwell, Anthony Rocca wasn’t far away, Sharrod Wellingham was sitting in front of me, Luke Ball to my right, Nathan Brown, Ben Reid, Leigh Brown, and Rohan Bownds who had been the head trainer for the best part of 30 years, I was sitting with his family."

“It was amazing.”

I reckon this tells us a bit. He's still a Collingwood fanboy. Reckon he might find it hard to coach against this team for some time. We haven't seen a top Men's coach try the AFLW yet. Looks and sounds like he's enjoying the media and being out of the fire though so who knows what his future involves.

The other thing I wondered this morning is how a kick and a few free kicks can change the outcome and your legacy. Either way you have to get the score on the board, it's hard to compare but even the Pies 2023 would beat the Pies 2018

Collingwood 2023 -12.18 90 V Collingwood 2018 - 11.8 74
Murphy, Moore, Howe [FB] Maynard, Langdon, Crisp
Maynard, Frampton, Quaynor [HB] Howe, Goldsack, Greenwood
Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Markov [C] Mayne, Pendlebury, Phillips
Hill, Mihocek, Elliott [HF] Hoskin-Elliot, Mihocek, De Goey
McCreery, De Goey, JDaicos [FF] Thomas, Cox, Varcoe
Cox, NDaicos, Crisp [FOL] Grundy, Adams, Sidebottom
Mitchell, Cameron, [IC] Treloar, Aish,
Hoskin-Elliott, Ginnivan Stephenson, Sier

Missed out
McStay, Adams, Noble, Johnson [M/O] Moore, Elliot, Dunn, Wells,
Scharenberg, Reid
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Nathan Buckley revealed he was “openly sobbing” in the stands at the MCG after the Magpies’ premiership win on Saturday five years after so many of those players suffered grand final heartbreak.

https://thewest.com.au/news/nathan-buck ... c-12077096
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

The horns were clearly on Bucks, even after losing a GF by a point. As if making the GF was in spite of him.

If he was still here, he would be knifed for hiring his mate Leppitch, Insider Fraser etc. For playing Lipinski when out of form, and for sure, not playing the youngsters though the year., and the million other things.

Steele did the inspirational in the last.. It was the other way against WC.

Just wishing to say we should remove the horns. He deserves a Halo.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

^ interesting to compare the two sides 2023 and 2018 side by side. Buckley’s team was far weaker at the bottom end than the 2023 one.

None of Phillips, Mayne, Thomas, Sier would get near this side. It is amazing to think that side got within 5 points of a premiership.

Buckley was a great player and a good coach, but a bloody unlucky one.