Practice match - Williamstown v Geelong

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Dale61

Practice match - Williamstown v Geelong

Post by Dale61 »

Comments for those that played:
Holland - when on the ground, was played on the ball as a rover. Played much better than in recent games and would be one of the first to get a call-up if any of the Collingwood guys get injured. Played out the full game.

Freeborn - Was his usual dependable self on the last line of defence. Was given far too much space which allowed him to bring the ball forward without any pressure. Was cool-headed when pressured, and was often giving support and directions to the young 'uns. Came off mid way through the third and didn't return.

Cole - Brilliant game. His pace and long kicking tore apart the Geelong forwards. Was often the link man running out of defence.

Nixon - Not as prominent as in previous games, but what he did was good.

McGough - Always made himself available for a contest. Won a truck load of possessions, and kicked a couple of goals in a first quarter of brilliance. Remained consistent all day and was among the best.

Kinnear (was reported in the second quarter) - Started the game on the bench, came on mid way through the first quarter, got reported early in the second, didn't play after half time. Say no more.

King - Quiet by comparison, but continues to get the hard ball. Didn't see much of him in general play.

Swan - Also quiet, although he did have a few touches. Played mostly in the back half.

Walker - This guy is becoming a machine. Started the game at CHF, then moved to CHB before being given the No1 rucking role. Has amazing stamina for one so big. Good leap, soft hands, needs to work on ground positioning. Still lets himself down by not holding his ground in one-on-one situations.

Eichner (reported in last quarter and sent off) - Big, tall, solid blood-nut who has a bit of mongrel in him. Good size for a young 'un and could be groomed to play CHB.

Williamstown came out all guns blazing and opened up an good lead after a 6-7 goal quarter. (Scores not shown at the game). Williamstown were fielding a near full strength side and were tearing Geelong apart all over the ground.

Gotchy made a few changes at the break, which seemed to bring Williamstown back to Geelong's level, but each team went goal for goal and neither could reproduce the flowing run-on football that Williamstown had played in the first quarter. Geelong reduced the deficit, but not by too much.

The third was much like the second. Scrappy football that resulted in a lot of turn-overs to each team. Again, Geelong pegged back the deficit as it seemed Williamstown had lost their way and were beginning to miss their targets.

Williamstown stalwarts Brad Lloyd and Troy West, along with Josh Mahoney, were playing their first game of the year, and spent a lot of time on the bench. Williamstown looked a much better team when these players were on the ground, but with that, it was only a practice match and quite a few of the other players were also striving for match fitness.

Come the last quarter and Williamstown was beginning to play like a tired side. Geelong were able to take the upper hand and piled on goal after goal. A lot of silly free kicks in their forward line allowed them to kick 8-9 goals, which would have been enough to take the win. (Will get scores etc. during the week.)

All in all, a match of two halves. Williamstown were the more dominant side in the first half, whilst Geelong overpowered them in the second.

Earlier, the reserves played St. Josephs, and Cameron Cloke had a run. Playing mostly as CHF, he was the main target in what was another scrappy affair. Very strong overhead and can bust open a pack with his huge frame. Covers a lot of ground, which could be a problem unless his aerobic fitness is at a high level. This wasn't a problem as he was benched late in every quarter he played, then sat out the whole of the last. Tom Hooker was a live wire playing up forward and had 4 goals by half time. Went missing in the second half, although he did kick another in the last. Reads the play well.

"Racetracks are for racing, roads are for getting there."
Last edited by Dale61 on Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Actually Tessa, the 'war' cry is 'Go Towners'. If you say it fast, it almost sounds like 'Go Downers'. Image Image Image

"Racetracks are for racing, roads are for getting there."
Clemo

Post by Clemo »

Dale, fantastic report. Congtats ! :mrgreen:
Go Pies !!!!
Mike
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Mike »

I just told Dale how easy it was to upload pics ... thought I'd better try it out and make sure I was telling the truth'

Yep... Iwas right Dale it's easy. Click onAdd an Attachment to bring up the filename box and then browse to the file, type in a description and click 'Add Attachment'

Then just keep browsing and adding until you have them all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Mike »

I've updated the FAQ (available on the menu at the top of each page) to include instructions for attachments (file uploading).
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

More pics from the practice against Geelong
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Dale61

Thanks Mike

Post by Dale61 »

Once the 'Add An Attachment' button was made available, it was a simple process of uploading and submitting. You have done well.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
MargOZ

Post by MargOZ »

What on earth is going on with Geelong's jumpers? I kept looking for our boys in the striped jumpers just out of habit!

Thanks for the great pics Dale.

GO PIES!
Marg
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Imagine what it was like for me trying to follow the game so as to take the pics. It was hard enough trying to work out who was who for Williamstown, but for Geelong to wear almost-like Collingwood jumpers was an outrage. I kept looking for familiar numbers on the familiar jumper, then realised that Williamstown were wearing the yellow jumpers.

Still, it does say something about the black-and-white vertical stripes. Imitation is the best form of flattery, so IMO, Geelong must be striving to become as good as Collingwood.

Yeah, right, like that's going to happen!
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
gogulls

Post by gogulls »

Did you know that Eichner got suspended for 2 matches for kicking in the Geelong game. Kinnear also got reported for kicking but got off.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Tess, if you are referring to the pics, it is actually Geelong that are wearing what appears to be the Collingwood jumpers.

gogulls, I knew both of them had been reported I was sitting near the players bench at the Geelong game) but had no idea what they were reported for. With the Kinnear incident, I thought it may have been for striking as it was during the scuffle in the second quarter that he got reported, and wasn't sure about the Eichner incident as again, there was a scuffle late in the last quarter and again I thought it was for striking. However, he was sent off earlier under the blood rule and when he was sent off in the last, he headed straight down the race, so until now, it remained a mystery.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Are you some way involved with the Williamstown FC?
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked