Williamstown v Box Hill @ Williamstown - 1.10pm Saturday.

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Dale61

Williamstown v Box Hill @ Williamstown - 1.10pm Saturday.

Post by Dale61 »

Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Williamstown kicked towards the scoreboard end, and with Paul Dooley (knee op) and Craig Anderson (shoulder) missing, Williamstown went in slightly under strength.

Dimma went down early with what appeared to be a lower leg injury, throwing the Williamstown defence into disarray. Box Hill kicked a couple of goals, one resulting from a Rhyce Shaw error, whilst Williamstown could only score points against the wind.

Dimma returned soon after, but was off again before the end of the quarter with bruised ribs, whilst Shane O'Bree and Adrian Fletcher were starting to gather possessions. O'Bree received a free kick on the forward flank, and passed to Tristen Walker, who missed an easy shot.

Strong defence was keeping Williamstown in touch, but the blustery conditions weren't helping either side.

Quarter time score: Will ~ 0.4.4 BH ~ 2.2.14

Williamstown coach Brad Gotch was happy with the quarter, but wanted his players to concentrate and be sure with their hands. He stressed that when coming into the forward line, use the beach side and let the grandstand be a wind break.

Early in the second, Williamstown applied a gag tackle which resulted in a B/H turnover. The ball spilled out to Holland, who handballed to O'Bree. A scrubber kick bounced well for DeAngelis, who then handballed to a running Lovett-Murray to register Williamstown's first major.

The scrappy play continue until another B/H turnover was picked up by A.J. Hill, who shot out a slick handpass to Lloyd, picking out Podsiadly and goaled. This gave Williamstown the lead.

The wind was playing havoc with the flight of the ball, and a Williamstown miss allowed B/H to run the ball down the outer side of the ground. A Lovett-Murray fumble, then a missed tackle allowed B/H to score the first major against the breeze.

The resulting centre bounce saw the ball pushed out to the beach side of the ground where Pearce got a free kick. He tried to baulk around an opponent, slipped over before recovering, and using a strong Walker shepherd, spotted DeAngelis who marked strongly. Another major to Donny.

Back to the centre where Kinnear breaks open the pack to put the ball in front of Holland, who is tackled without the ball. Goal from just inside the 50.

Another Shaw error saw it go unpunished as B/H kicked a minor score, then on the next B/H entry to their forward line, AJ Hill got a free, who handpassed to Shaw. Shaw had two bounces before kicking to Richardson, who played on and found DeAngelis. Another Williamstown goal saw them go 17 points clear. A late B/H point reduced the half time margin to 16.

Half time score: Will ~ 5.9.39 B/H ~ 3.5.23

Third quarter saw the breeze changing firections, but still favoring the end that B/H were kicking to.

A long kick from the centre had the B/H defence in two minds, allowing Podsiadly to gather the loose, fire a handpass to BK who goaled.

Williamstwon started to play a possession game which resulted in two holding the ball decisions against them in defence, but B/H failed to capitalise. The B/H runners were starting to get into the game more, cutting up the Williamstown midfielders. Their failure to convert was showing on the scoreboard.

Shaw has the kick out duties, and roosting the ball outside the defensive 50, but more often than not found an opposition player.

Some 'kick and hope' saw Williamstown entry the forward line again after a scrappy kick from O'Bree found Pearce, who shot a handpass to BK, who in turn handpassed to an open Podsiadly in the goal square and slotting through another major.

B/H were running out of time when Shaw found space in the centre and kicked deep into the forward line. Tom Davidson pounced on the loose ball, giving Williamstown a 20 point lead at the 21 minute mark.

B/H fought back late in the quarter to peg the deficit back to 16 points at the last break, but with Williamstown coming home with the breeze, a home victory for The Seagulls was looking likely.

3 quarter time scores: Will ~ 8.10.58 B/H 5.12.42

The first goal of quarter would determine the final result, and both teams made advances into their forward line. Brodie was the first to score, but a point still kept B/H in it.

A Podsiadly point at the nine minute mark opened the lead to 18 points, but the wind had picked up and B/H were having trouble penetrating a stout Williamstown defence.

A kick-in error after a Dane Swan point saw Fletcher take a screamer, which resulted in the Collingwood assistant coach kicking truly. A 25-point lead now seemed insurmountable for B/H at the 14 minute mark.

B/H seemed to be tiring when a Troy West clearance saw the Williamstown runners push the ball wide, and when the ball ended up in the hands of Podsiadly, Williamstown had now extended their lead to 30 points.

A B/H turnover saw the ball come to Richardson, who handballed to Craig Smoker and ensuring a Williamstown win by kicking another goal. Williamstown now by 36 points.

A B/H goal was soon countered by another Podsiadly goal after some slick work downfield. The game was now well beyond B/H's reach, and it was now only a matter of how far Williamstown.

A late flurry by B/H saw them reduce the margin to 30, but a late goal by Davidson saw Williamstown take a hard fought victory by 35 points.

Final score: Will ~ 13.13.91 Box Hill 7.14.56

Goals: Podsiadly 3, DeAngelis 2, Holland 2, Davidson 2, Kinnear, Lovett-Murray, Smoker, Fletcher.

My Best: Pearce, Fletcher, Kinnear, O'Bree, DeAngelis.

Official Best: Holand, O'Bree, Pearce, DeAngelis, West, Shaw, Lloyd.

"Racetracks are for racing, roads are for getting there."

[This message has been edited by Dale61 (edited 10 August 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Dale61 (edited 11 August 2002).]
Miss_Lisey_Molloy

Post by Miss_Lisey_Molloy »

I watched it on channel 2 and it was an excellent game, even though it was very windy. I think Pearce deserved best on ground because I saw him do a lot of things. I surprised myself that i knew people. I knew Holland, Teakle, Richo, Swan, Shaw, Kinnear, and all these other people.
Congratulations Willy!!!!!!
Love always, Alyssa xoxo

Lisey Molloy! Jarrod Molloy's No.1 Fan!

While Others Blend In2 Da Background, I Prefer 2 Make A Scene,
Im A Gorgeous, Glowing, Tantrum Throwing, Darling Drama Queen!

Im Lovely & Im Gorgeous, Mad & Oh So Funny,
Always Glad, Im Never Sad, An Adorable Hunny Bunny!
Danzy Rocks!!!

Post by Danzy Rocks!!! »

Hey Dale, I haven't been down to Willi in ages, just wondering if you knew how Brad Lloyd was going?

danny.... i will never forget you. :(
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Hey Danzy. Lloydy is still playing good, consistent football. I'm surprised he didn't make it further at Hawthorn.

Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Williamstown reserves also had a win over BH.

Scores: Will: 14.20.104 ~ BH: 6.7.43

Goals: Corcoran 4, Porter 3, Fonua 2, Knight, LaVerde, Ralph, Richards, Cape.

Best: Fonua, Hollow, Richards, LaVerde, Reid, Tavelangi.

Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Williamstown's win now moves them up to sixth place on the TXU-VFL ladder. Sandringham and Carlton are next - on percentage - followed by Murray Kangaroos (.5 of a game behind) and Springvale (1 game behind).

Williamstown next play Essendon (2 games behind) and end the home-and-away season away to Springvale.

Murray Kangaroos pulled off an upset win against Port Melbourne to keep them in the hunt, whilst Sandringham got up in a close match against Nth Ballarat.

Other games next week include Sandringham at Werribee, Box Hill host Coburg, Springvale @ Port Melbourne and Murray Kangaroos v Carlton.

If the results of these games go in Williamstown's favor, the pressure will lower slightly. What we need is for Werribee to beat Sandringham, Coburg to beat Box Hill and Port to beat Springvale. My preference for the last game is for the Murray Kangaroos to beat Carlton. This is on condition that Williamstown beating Essendon.

Based on these results, a top 4 finish would be impossible as Port would still be 2 games clear in fourth, but would have Box Hill 2 points clear in fifth. Sandring ham and Carlton would then be one game behind, but Murray Kangaroos would stay within 2 points of Williamstown.

This would then move us onto an intriguing final round. Murray Kangaroos play Box Hill, Springvale host Williamstown, Port Melbourne host Sandringham and Carlton host Werribee. Therefore, fifth place is the best Williamstown could finish in.

My prediction after round 20.
Geelong 68 points
Werribee 64
Coburg 64
Port Melbourne 56
Williamstown 48
Box Hill 46
Murray Kangaroos 46
Sandringham 40
Carlton 40
Springvale 36
The rest doesnt matter as their season is as good as over.

It would appear now that Williamstown can pencil in finals action, but as we all know, the game of Australian Rules football can produce unpredictable results.

ramjet21

Post by ramjet21 »

cheers as always dale