One out of the box for Molloy - Herald Sun

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Dale61

One out of the box for Molloy - Herald Sun

Post by Dale61 »

HOWARD LEIGH
July 7, 2002

Powerhouse Collingwood forward Jarrod Molloy spent the first half of yesterday's VFL game at Point Gellibrand in the coach's box before making a cameo appearance.

Sidelined with a broken toe since the match against Sydney five weeks ago, Molloy took the field for Williamstown against the Tasmanian Devils.

Molloy gathered nine kicks, three handballs and took three marks, but by his admission pulled up a little sore.

"My toe doesn't feel as good as I hoped it would be," he said. "It was a hard ground and I didn't want to go 100 per cent.

"I just planned to get through a half of footy."

Molloy's input as a pinch-hitter sparked a Williamstown revival during the third quarter when it kicked 5.8 downwind in gale-force conditions, but the comeback was shortlived.

Tasmania scored one of the major upsets of the season, winning 13.16 (94) to Williamstown's wasteful 8.21 (69).

Williamstown VFL coach Brad Gotch said the plan was for Molloy not to run out with the team prematch, but to sit in his footy gear and observe what took place in the coach's box high in the grandstand.

"It was a bit unorthodox, but it gave Jarrod an opportunity to have a look," Gotch said.

Tasmanian coach Matthew Armstrong said he was aware Molloy was in the team and was surprised when he saw him sitting in the adjoining box.

Williamstown's Collingwood affiliate players Carl Steinfort, Damien Adkins and Andrew Dimattina were productive for the Seagulls.

Williamstown acting captain Brad Lloyd, brother of Essendon full-forward Matthew Lloyd, had 30 possessions. He took over the skipper's role after Troy West contacted the club early yesterday and withdrew from the team for personal reasons.

Armstrong praised 19-year-old Devils midfielder Scott Stephens, who minimised the impact of Williamstown's star midfielder, Adrian Fletcher.

Former St Kilda spearhead Jason Heatley kicked 3.3 for Tasmania and former Melbourne forward Ben Beams finished with 2.4.

"Racetracks are for racing, roads are for getting there."
Miss_Lisey_Molloy

Post by Miss_Lisey_Molloy »

thanks for telling me to read this dale! You are a top guy! Everybody on here is so nice!
Love always, Alyssa xoxo

*~LiSeY~*
*~Jarrod Molloy's Number One Fan!~*
*~Jarrod is my baby and nobody else's~*

http://groups.msn.com/AlyssasCollingwoodClub
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Sadly though, his return may not be as close as we all want. If he is still experiencing pain from his toe, he may need another couple of weeks for it to completely heal.

He just needs to get himself fully fit so as to return to his best.

Miss_Lisey_Molloy

Post by Miss_Lisey_Molloy »

I want him to come back but whatever is best for him is what i want! I hope you get better soon, gorgeous.
Love always, Alyssa xoxo

*~LiSeY~*
*~Jarrod Molloy's Number One Fan!~*
*~Jarrod is my baby and nobody else's~*

http://groups.msn.com/AlyssasCollingwoodClub
paulie

Post by paulie »

Wonder what has happened with Troy West has he walked out on the Club Mid season or had a personal of family tradgedy???Either way I hope it is not too serious.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Hopefully, I'll be able to find out why Troy West pulled out of the side at the last minute. I hope he hasn't walked away from the club as he is the backbone of the defence.

The local papers here in Williamstown might have more info. I'll keep you all posted.

ramjet21

Post by ramjet21 »

heard that westy simply had 'personal problems' that needed attending. whether thats a tragedy in the family or something im not sure. not even sure how accurate that info is. molloy should be given as much time as needed, even if its another month. better to get it right now so he's ok for finals.
ramjet21

Post by ramjet21 »

just read about westy's baby. hardly a tragedy. i'll now have to kill my source....
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

I was concerned too when I heard about Troy not playing, but a family tragedy would have also caused Scott to withdraw from the Bulldogs team as well.

Anyway, his wife having a baby is correct, but one local paper said her name was Bronte, whilst another called her Shantie. Maybe they had twins?????