Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Delete
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

piedys wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:Gold Coast is a shit place to live.
*cough* *hack* *splutter*
:lol: :lol:

Hey, I'm with you piedys, :P
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Nothing good happens on the Gold Coast unless you’re a 17 year old schoolie.
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

I agree the list of incoming talent looks underwhelming. But the key to good recruiting and list management is finding the diamonds in the rough.

Poaching stars from other clubs takes big dollars and high draft picks. If there's no real stars available, I'd rather we speculate on players that have maybe fallen out of favour or just haven't had the opportunities.

Lipinski, Crisp, Cameron, Howe. These guys all came relatively cheap and have proven to be astute picks. Got to trust that we may find some solid players in the ones we've targeted this year
RudeBoy
Been liked: 92 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Deja Vu wrote:I agree the list of incoming talent looks underwhelming. But the key to good recruiting and list management is finding the diamonds in the rough.

Poaching stars from other clubs takes big dollars and high draft picks. If there's no real stars available, I'd rather we speculate on players that have maybe fallen out of favour or just haven't had the opportunities.

Lipinski, Crisp, Cameron, Howe. These guys all came relatively cheap and have proven to be astute picks. Got to trust that we may find some solid players in the ones we've targeted this year
Of course everything you say is true DV, but there's also every chance we just end up with a Jessie White or Quentin Lynch. Recent history suggests that every few years a Premiership contending club needs to bring in a genuine star player. The Tigers recruited Lynch, the Cats recruited Cameron and it appears the Dees are about to recruit Grundy. I honestly can't remember the last time we brought in a genuine ready-made star.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Just doing some research on Fiorinis 2022 season and there’s a lot to like about this bloke. Originally from Vic and was pick #20 in the draft. Now 25 years old and 186cm and played about half the games this year, mainly as an outside mid. He’s a serious ball winner and had his biggest game against the Swans. Covers a lot of ground, good on the pressure rankings and best of all, he’s consistently that 400 metres + plus player that suits our game style. His efficiency is a bit variable but on his best days he’s also close to elite, so he can use the footy.
He won their “ professional “ player award in 2021 and if nothing else, would suggest he’s diligent in his preparation and training.
Not sure why he’s out of favour ( possibly defensive shortfalls ) but I can see why we have an interest in him.
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

So not much talk about Caleb Poulter on any of the media circles, anyone have any inkling if hes still homesick??

Just heard that if Collingwood pay a chunk of Grundys salary then we will get a better pick....I would hope we get a top 10 pick.

Anyone think different ??
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

RudeBoy wrote:I must say, I'm completely underwhelmed by all the players mentioned as possibly coming to us. Surely, if we unload Grundy we should be able to recruit an absolute A grade player from somewhere.

I guess I've got to trust Wrighty to know what he's doing, but as a mere supporter, with no inside knowledge at all, it seems like we will be weaker, not stronger next year. I hope I'm wrong.
In what possible way could we be weaker? We’re not losing anyone that actually got us to a Prelim.

Also A graders don’t grow on trees or become available and you get them, it takes a lot of work. For all we know the plan is offload Grundys contract so we have the space to get into some players next year.

All the top players who changed clubs had been linked to their new club for a year at least. Collingwood doesn’t have that luxury until we offload the massive drain on our cap.
Presti35
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Presti35 »

Depth is an issue we need to address.

Providing we can keep Henry, sign McStay, and bring in a ball winning mid like Mitchell for cheap, then Hill, Frampton and Fiorini will provide much better depth options than McMahon, Browns and Chugg and others who are yet to be delisted. Besides, Hill and Frampton could very well be in our best 22.

I think we should be excited about the upcoming trade period and draft. Its going to be one of the most important we've seen.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Presti35 wrote:Depth is an issue we need to address.

Providing we can keep Henry, sign McStay, and bring in a ball winning mid like Mitchell for cheap, then Hill, Frampton and Fiorini will provide much better depth options than McMahon, Browns and Chugg and others who are yet to be delisted. Besides, Hill and Frampton could very well be in our best 22.

I think we should be excited about the upcoming trade period and draft. Its going to be one of the most important we've seen.
Yep, it’s an off season of cap correction and list realignment. It will be all about depth. Some acquired trades will improve, while others will remain the same as first acquired. When you think about how often the Browns and Carmichael were called on to be injury subs, it gives you an idea of how skinny we were after our best 22. The Browns have since been delisted and Carmichael was playing a local league 12 months earlier.

I like the ins for what they bring on the cheap -

*Hill - mature age, small forward option, pace and pressure player.
*McStay ( no trade ) mature body, experience, size, height, versatile.
*Frampton - the true Hail Mary in this group. Key position depth, size, height, played at the level and shown a bit on occasions.
*Fiorini ( likely ) - mature body, experience, ball winner and a metres gained type with plenty of good moments in his AFL career to date.
Add in that we haven’t seen Dean, Carmichael was under prepared and Krueger played about 300 mins in the AFL all season, there will be a very different look about this list in 2023.
We can only hope the incoming does enough to outweigh the outgoing.
Boogie Knights

Post by Boogie Knights »

For those underwhelmed by the rumoured additions, perhaps looking at it from a different perspective may be of benefit...

We were 1 point away from being in the grand final, in a season where expectation was mostly around development. That expectation only comes with exciting young players who will continue to grow and develop which bodes well, especially from our position. The only definite best 22 players missing from that prelim were Adams and Grundy (arguable depending on your personal opinion).

If any one of the presumed additions is a best 22 player, we are automatically an incrementally better team as they will be displacing an existing player out of an already successful group.

Out of those additions, it's certainly debatable which would be in our best 22, so the only certainty is that Adams makes us better (I'm discounting Grundy as he appears gone). Out of McStay, Frampton, Hill and Fiorini, if any one of those becomes best 22, we are in a very strong position. Even if they don't, I don't think any reasonable minded person would think they are worse in their respective roles than Ruscoe, both Browns, Begg, Chugg, Bianco or Carmichael - who all put in time filling roles those additions would fill.

Across a season, depth is always going to play a part, and having quality depth even more so. I've always been of the belief that the strength of a team is best identified by the strength of players 17 to 22 or 23 on any given week. These additions would definitely improve that area.

To reach the summit from our position, incremental improvement will get you there just as well as an A list addition.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

Pies2016 wrote:When you think about how often the Browns and Carmichael were called on to be injury subs, it gives you an idea of how skinny we were after our best 22.
This...

I think we were pretty lucky (or we have excellent fitness staff) with our injuries this year. Not much depth at all - so we were lucky to have most of our best on the park almost every week. Would we have played the same teams every week this year if we had a bit more competition for spots? Checkers looked like he could have done with a month off there late in the season. I note this is something the Cats seem to have done well (although we know their list is quite old..)

We may not be that fortunate again so depth is important.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Premiership Tiger Jack Graham open to Punt Road departure
The impending arrivals of Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper via the trade table next month could see premiership Tiger Jack Graham depart Punt Road, with the 24-year-old reportedly open to a trade.

https://www.zerohanger.com/premiership- ... ws-127884/
Wow.

Jack is still only 24, has 2 flags, 97 games, and a 2nd place finish in the clubs B&F last year. Would have 3 flags if not for a shoulder injury in the 2019 PF.

He is a big finals player. Are Tigers serious in letting him go? Has at least 6 more seasons at this level.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... raham.html

Is South Australian, so expect Port to come hard after missing out on Dunkley.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Are there any players who’ve nominated or expected to go to Brisbane, Hawthorn or the Kangaroos that might be rethinking their choices this week that we would be interested in?
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

eddiesmith wrote:Are there any players who’ve nominated or expected to go to Brisbane, Hawthorn or the Kangaroos that might be rethinking their choices this week that we would be interested in?
Logue? Dunkley? 8)