The Carringbush Rumour File (JUST the rumour pls)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

skaman
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by skaman »

Lobb is what you get when you order a Wes Fellowes from Wish. Looks like <Snip - there might be a better, more modern analogy in this day and age. Thanks...the mods>
Enjoy yourself. Its later than you think!
stui magpie
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

The Black and White Lion wrote:Let me say it here second. Don’t want this to happen. I’m a no to Rory. I’m a know to trades this year unless we’re trading back into the first round, I know that means giving up something but that’s my opinion for 2024.

If a true link what could they be thinking? Is it a Cox replacement? I would rather we take a physical ruck fwd if there’s one about in the MSD and leave the dogs to rue their bad trades with Freo
That's a valid point. The largely unnoticed rule change in the Ruck for this year has aided the heavier, stronger rucks who can use their physical strength to the detriment of the leaner, taller tap rucks. That could be an issue for Steene who is also lightly framed.

Lobb has almost identical career stats to Cox so he's not an upgrade, just 2 years younger.

McStay is the key forward we're missing but Checkers isn't getting any younger, we need to find another Trav Cloke or Pebbles.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

skaman wrote:Lobb is what you get when you order a Wes Fellowes from Wish. Looks like <Snip - there might be a better, more modern analogy in this day and age. Thanks...the mods>
Rob, dunno what got censored there, but I hope it wasn't meant to be a sledge on Wes Fellowes, who served us very admirably during the mid to late 80s?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
piedys

Post by piedys »

stui magpie wrote:McStay is the key forward we're missing but Checkers isn't getting any younger, we need to find another Trav Cloke or Pebbles.
Well both wre very hight draft picks in their respective years; Cloke we effectively got by default thanks to David's service, and thankfully he chose us over Bitchmond.

Pebbles Rocca; we had to wait two years for his initial obligatory contract [1995/1996] to expire with Pink Ducks, and then more anal bleeding at our end to secure him for 1997 season.

So to suggest we need to find another in their size and strength is correct, yet securing them ahead of the flotsam at the bottom of the table in the draft is highly unlikely.
Thus what are our options? Keep poaching for a UFA/RFA, or simply scour the lower leagues for a mature body who might step up out of nowhere?

Look at the absolute ball Handbag Henry is having at Geebung, while Dunderklumpen and Cameron command the opposition's best defender to man them up, he gets to run riot!
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by piffdog »

Would love to know the inside story on Henry. Is he a jerk? Is he a pussy? (I think we all have convinced ourselves these things are the truth - but we dont know for a fact...). Was there something he wasnt doing that lead him to butt heads with the coaching staff? Was it all about money?

None of us will ever know I suspect - unless we can put the question to Fly at a sportsman's event at some stage in about 10 years' time. I think he will have a solid career at the Cats - feels like one who got away.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Bucks5 »

Why do you think there was something sinister behind his departure?
He was a Geelong boy who wanted to go home and play along side his brother for the team he had supported growing up. Isn't that enough??
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Pretty sure all the clubs knew of Ollie Henry's desires before the draft. Clubs will always back themselves to keep the player if they are good enough.
Pies would have backed themselves knowing Geelong is an hour down the road.

There's a good point a few posts above. If McInnes was lining up alongside a Hawkins and Cameron combination in our forward line, maybe he would have an easier run like Henry. This is true, when McInnes has played, he's generally been the second tall rather than the third tall and he's playing against a KPB instead of a third tall / medium type.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

The Black and White Lion wrote:Pretty sure all the clubs knew of Ollie Henry's desires before the draft. Clubs will always back themselves to keep the player if they are good enough.
Pies would have backed themselves knowing Geelong is an hour down the road.

There's a good point a few posts above. If McInnes was lining up alongside a Hawkins and Cameron combination in our forward line, maybe he would have an easier run like Henry. This is true, when McInnes has played, he's generally been the second tall rather than the third tall and he's playing against a KPB instead of a third tall / medium type.
Correct. And what a combination to learn forward craft from…arguably two of the best key forwards to play in the AFL ever. Unfortunately, we don’t have anything like that intellectual property….overall a very difficult proposition for any young key forward to come into.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Said it before, will say it again….get these unrestricted free agents: Battle (from StK) to fortify backline as replacement for Howe/Murph…get Himmelberg (from ADL) as that big bodied goal kicking/marking key forward to play alongside Checkers, McStay and Reef. Bailey Smith and Isaac Cumming (GWS) and Bailey Banfield (from FREO) and another gun mid from somewhere, which will cost us nothing but $$$ and we’ll be farting through silk for at least the next 3-4 years….Pies Dynasty baby!!!!
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

Bucks5 wrote:Why do you think there was something sinister behind his departure?
He was a Geelong boy who wanted to go home and play along side his brother for the team he had supported growing up. Isn't that enough??
You're probably right - perhaps the simplest explanation is the right one...

But for me I am not sure that would be enough. There must be plenty of players for whom those reasons are not enough. There must be plenty of players playing at poor clubs (which aren't the ones they barracked for growing up) who would like to get out, but yet the bond they have with their team mates and the connection they have with their club makes them stick around. Would have thought the locker room vibe at our club is pretty supportive - yet still this guy wanted to be in a different environment. I cant help but feel he got his nose bent out of joint when he couldnt get a game and as a result decided the grass was greener. As further evidence, take a look at Max Holmes - considered himself fit, but was controversially not picked for a GF and yet still stayed on despite other offers.

I wouldnt care if he was going to have an average career - but I think that he will play 200+ games and potentially kick 500 goals (I am thinking a Bruest like career) and its a shame it won't be for our club.

Lastly - just a pity we didnt get more for him on the way out. I wonder if there is an underlying ethos that if a player wants to go you just make it happen and take what you can get... Be good to get Wrighty (or someone) on the record about the philosophy in general. I presume you dont want to develop a reputation and there is a reason why clubs almost never force a player to go back to the draft.
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

The Black and White Lion wrote:There's a good point a few posts above. If McInnes was lining up alongside a Hawkins and Cameron combination in our forward line, maybe he would have an easier run like Henry. This is true, when McInnes has played, he's generally been the second tall rather than the third tall and he's playing against a KPB instead of a third tall / medium type.
We will find out more this Thursday with Cameron (concussion) and Hawkins (managed) missing from the Geelong line up.
stui magpie
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Bucks5 wrote:Why do you think there was something sinister behind his departure?
IIRC though, he didn't request the trade until after we'd signed McStay.

I think you're right, add to that he was a fringe player with us who saw us just recruit a KPF and there's more incentive to leave.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
piedys

Post by piedys »

Magpie Russ wrote:We will find out more this Thursday with Cameron (concussion) and Hawkins (managed) missing from the Geelong line up.
Ooh, against GCS in Cairns?
GCS backline will love these two Geebung rock apes missing from attack.

Gary Rowan must be due to pull another hammy shortly too?
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

If O Henry hadn't left would we have got Tom Mitchell? Tom Mitchell did ok in the Grand Final as I recall.
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

All good additions to the discussion. Not trying to rewrite history, and it feels like our list is continuing to develop in positive ways - just would love to have been a fly on Fly's wall...

Yes Mitchell has been great for us and he will be a watch in Darwin this week for sure.