Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Go hard for a KP defender. We can not play Maynard on Buddy and Noble on Heeny ever again.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ I don't think we expected Roughead's retirement. We need a real stopper for the big KPFs. That's not Moore's go and Howe simply isn't big enough. It's a great credit to the defenders that they held it together so well, all season - but, really, they were undermanned all year down back. Size-wise, I mean - they lacked nothing for heart and determination but you don't get any bigger just because you are more desperate.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Howe could be on his last legs anyway, at his age anything could happen.

Frampton and Dean; need one to step up and own the KDP. Alternatively McStay could definitely play the role.

We are good down back, its the key forward we need, and without paying what Lynch and Cameron are (or should be) worth
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:What we need to do is get Lemmey in the draft, by any means necessary...you can't draft in good KPFs, you gotta draft them, too expensive otherwise.

McStay will be a handy addition to the list, anyone who tells you otherwise is talking sh*t.
IF and I say IF, Grundy moves on, they will aim higher than Lemmey with the early draft picks they will have. Lemmey was all the pre season rage but he’s slipped back because there’s a body of work from all the Vic kids once again, post Covid. If we can bundle up two late first rounders into something around pick 10, we will have bigger fish to fry than Harry Lemmey. Either Jefferson from the Chargers or Camden from the Rebels should be their targets ( or maybe Busslinger from WA ) Watch this space.
\

Lemmey will be good value for what he offers; we are not going to get a top 5 pick for Grundy, but if we can get enough for Lemmey...

Plus, how good to have a Lemmey on this list? Could be our Ace of Spades!
;-)
Cal Twomey, who is very good at what he does, no longer has either Lemmey or Scully ( both SA key forwards ) in the top 25 picks on draft night. The Vic kids like Camden and Jefferson have passed them by in 2022. Point being, IF Grundy is traded, no matter what first round pick we get from Melbourne, we can also bundle that up with our first round pick that now stands at #16 ( or introduce our future first if required ) This is not to say Lemmey can’t play but the general consensus is that Camden, Jefferson and Busslinger ( KPD from WA ) will all be inside the top 20 and ahead of Lemmey come draft night.
If you’re going to draft a tall, you might as well draft amongst the best prospects in that draft. I like Lemmey, he’s already built like he’s ready to go but take a look at Mathew Jeffersons ( Vic metro ) and Busslingers U18 championships highlights before you have the farm sold for an interstater who might get homesick.
If we have a seperate draft thread as the night gets closer, I’m sure we’ll all weigh in on our thoughts but the Vic kids coming back this year after Covid restrictions has really changed the draft order as this season rolled on.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Pies4shaw wrote:You don't "have to" draft them - Lynch and Cameron were both bought. Franklin was bought. Gunston was bought. West Coast traded for Kennedy.
I've probably missed others. It's just that when we've been buying for the last 20 years, we've been rummaging through the bargain basement bin looking for them. Lynch, White, Kreuger, Cameron, Mihocek, Cox - not criticising any of them as players, in this context, but there are no Travis Clokes at the $2 shop.

I found my original 45s of Jimi Hendrix's "Up From the Skies", the Five Man Electrical Band's "Signs", Canned Heat's "Let's Work Together", King Biscuit Boy's "King's Biscuit's Boogie" and Otis Redding's "Dock of the Bay" all for 10 cents a pop in one 10-minute forage in the discount bin at the Retrovision store in Ivanhoe. I got the Stones' Let It Bleed" LP and my brother got "The Who Sell Out", each for 99 cents, at Thomas' Record Store in the old Southern Cross Hotel building. I completed my set of all of Steppenwolf's albums with four magnificent pick ups in the discount bin at Clements' Records and Music.

Despite all that searching and my eye for a musical bargain, I never, ever, saw a 500-goal KPF lying around in a bin outside the Reject Shop.
No luck with Jim Staffords “ Spiders and Snakes “ ??
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Pies4shaw wrote:
watt price tully wrote:While that’s true there are a couple of assumptions. The first is that Brisbane wants to get rid of McStay; they don’t and, we are speculating on the amount of money and duration of contract if “we do get McStay.

He’s not the messiah and there might be others we have not considered yet.
It wasn't actually a comment about McStay. It was a comment in response to another post suggesting that you have to draft KPFs because they cost too much to buy. My point is that plenty have been bought by successful clubs - but, for whatever reason, Collingwood hasn't wanted to pay good money to get one from the top shelf. I'm not pointing the finger, particularly, but we have plainly preferred to pitch our big money elsewhere - particularly looking to buy developed midfielders. That's a bit surprising because the one thing you can always find in the draft is another dozen midfielders. You don't generally have to buy them and it generally doesn't end well when you do. Think Judd for Kennedy, Kelly to West Coast for 47 draft picks, Beams to Brisbane, Rockliff to Port Adelaide etc etc. If you could get your hands on the next Pendlebury or Buckley, I suppose you'd spend the money, if you had to - but it looks like we did and he arrived as a father/son. For the rest, mids are mostly just workhorses who get the ball from the contest. Generally, the goalkickers win games.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Just on the draft and before it gets asked, former Collingwood player, Trent Hottons son, will likely go late in the first round of this years draft. Ollie is NOT a father / son prospect and is another Vic kid who came from the clouds this year and played at the premiership winning Sandy Dragons this season.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Pies2016 wrote:Just on the draft and before it gets asked, former Collingwood player, Trent Hottons son, will likely go late in the first round of this years draft. Ollie is NOT a father / son prospect and is another Vic kid who came from the clouds this year and played at the premiership winning Sandy Dragons this season.
Well if he punches on with female coppers and drinks like a fish as well as Trent does, then he could go places. Preferably, not jail.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:Howe could be on his last legs anyway, at his age anything could happen.

Frampton and Dean; need one to step up and own the KDP. Alternatively McStay could definitely play the role.

We are good down back, its the key forward we need, and without paying what Lynch and Cameron are (or should be) worth
Well if we are drawn to play the Dogs a couple times, Frampton should be good value
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

piedys wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:Just on the draft and before it gets asked, former Collingwood player, Trent Hottons son, will likely go late in the first round of this years draft. Ollie is NOT a father / son prospect and is another Vic kid who came from the clouds this year and played at the premiership winning Sandy Dragons this season.
Well if he punches on with female coppers and drinks like a fish as well as Trent does, then he could go places. Preferably, not jail.
Plays a bit like his old man too. Floats around and every now and again shows enough to keep you interested. Might be better that he’s not F / S, as history shows we do like to take advantage of that 20 % discount on draft night.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Pies2016 wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:Howe could be on his last legs anyway, at his age anything could happen.

Well if we are drawn to play the Dogs a couple times, Frampton should be good value
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Just to clarify, I like the trade but I don’t think we should have any expectations. To be fair, there is a limited body of work that at least suggests Frampton is not totally out of his depth ( as per the above ) in the seniors. McStay on the other hand, well he does come with expectations and that’s going to be an interesting watch
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Presti35
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Presti35 »

This is going to be a very important offseason for the club.

-Grundy
-Henry
-Poulter

-Hill
-Mitchell
-Frampton

amongst others
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Presti35 »

https://www.afl.com.au/news/846192/smal ... to-magpies
Small forward confirms wish to head to Magpies. After trying to get to Essendon last year, Bobby Hill is now chasing a trade to Collingwood.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!