#11 Daniel McStay

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I'm increasingly open minded on McStay.

While he's no Cameron or Lynch if he can his kick 30 goals, take pressure off Mihocek extending his longevity in the game and provide us with the option of just playing with one genuine ruck then I'm comfortable with his acquisition.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Bobby Hill done deal too.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

500-600k is pretty good I reckon
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

The main thing is atm we aren’t losing anyone from our best 22 and adding 4-5 AFL level players which will improve the depth we sorely lacked this year.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

This guy gives us options. Checkers won’t play on the best fwd. either can play the swing man role. He can also pinch hit in the ruck. I think it’s an astute buy and 500k isn’t exactly top dollar.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

The entire point of free agency is to give players an opportunity to cash in on a short time in the game ( compared to a thirty year career)
It’s set up to take out the trade component of that player’s acquisition and allow him to become as “ desirable “ as possible to as many suitors at once.
That’s why you generally pay overs contract wise for any free agent who chooses to swap clubs while in the prime of his career. They call it the free agency tax and in McStays case it’s probably adds between $50 - $100,000 above his true market value worth ( based on paper talk which I don’t generally believe anyway ) If we had acquired him as a trade, he’s likely an early second rounder (especially if some here have Henry as a later first rounder ) so at least we keep our draft selection in tact, while paying that “ tax “.
Supposedly ( this via Dale Tapping ) he’s a hard worker who drives standards and also a good mentor for the young blokes. That’s not why we’re bringing him in but you can’t have enough people with good character around a footy club. So let’s at least give the bloke some fresh air and a few games before we put him to the sword.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

I cannot for the life of me see how this guy makes our team better, but if he does I'll happily apologise.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

Charlie Oneeye wrote: He is not Jonathon Brown.
Maybe he can be a Leigh Brown. I’ll settle for that…
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

Forget about the salary. We don’t manage the books. We don’t know who gets what and for how long.
This is recruiting to fill a need. I like it. Does he makes us better? We’ll see…
Did Leigh Brown make us better?
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Yeppo, but to add, McStay said he wanted to come home.
He has an education, and maybe he just chose Collinwood because we have a spot for him. Who wouldn't want to come to Collingwood right now?
I feel extra money was never the enticement, he could be on more, but I reckon he is on the same money as he got in Brisbane.
Johnno75

Post by Johnno75 »

In both finals we struggled to contain the 2nd key forward with only Moore as our key back. Maynard, Howe and Murphy whilst good intercept markers they cannot play key defensive posts. McStay could be roughies replacement but could also spend time forward or pinch hit it the ruck.

Stop telling yourselves he is of no benefit, he is coming whether you agree or not, now let’s see where he is best played.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

We were really exposed by resting Ruckman and 2 pronged Uber talls.
And course, there are forwards who are neither. Just guns.
Roughy retired then Dean had a setback.
All these players coming are needed, even if they are borderline.

We are NO DOUBT going to have a handful of injuries, and we can see the Browns have moved on, both at the point of their careers to carry the load. They couldn't. Hopefully next year, we will steady the ship with players who are.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

I don't see him playing back purely because when the ball hits the ground, he has no second effort. My attitude to new recruits is to give them the "benefit of the doubt" until they let me down. I do remember the outcry when Travis Varcoe joined the Pies whereby many of us thought he was a flaky, outside player with questionable upside. He proved the opposite.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
pablo

Post by pablo »

I assume this means we get nothing if De Goey leaves? Might have been better to finalise De Goey first??
Go Pies!!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

pablo wrote:I assume this means we get nothing if De Goey leaves? Might have been better to finalise De Goey first??
Correct, unless Collingwood and Lions can agree to an unlikely trade ( which would still need to be reasonable in order to exceed the Lions compo pick for McStay )
You would hope the club is very confident of re signing DeGoey, otherwise we would likely lose out on a number of fronts, not the least would be a later first round compo pick.