Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Rick
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Rick »

Has anyone heard about Jacob Van Rooyen from the Dees?
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Rick wrote:Has anyone heard about Jacob Van Rooyen from the Dees?
Yeah but apparently he’s a good prospect and the Dees won’t let him go.
Beware the swooping Magpie.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Re: Trade Targets

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies4shaw wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
BazBoy wrote:One player we won’t have to chase is our own Rusty aka Steele Sidebottom

Watching his presser on Collingwood TV. “ I have a year -the club sorted that at season start and it’s not common knowledge in the media
Yes I’ll be at the Pies next year “
Well that was a well kept secret
Up until 2 weeks ago AFL website still had him as free agent
No, it wasn't. A number of us reported it a month or two back and at the time we did, it was also reported in the media. You didn't accept it - and I left it alone because I took it that you thought we were just pushing your buttons.

I presume that if he passes Gordon Coventry's game tally next year at least some of the doubters will begin to appreciate that he's been an extraordinary player for us over a very long period of time.

Anyway, don't worry, he'll be gone soon enough. He can't reach 500 games ......

.... can he? :P :P :P
Not all mate if you read my comment at the time I said
I didn’t see any reports or anything club website
And at same time he was still listed on AFL website as free agent

Your comment was he was negotiating a 3yr extension which I left alone because I knew that wasn’t true at all and was seeking a reaction on my behalf
But I’m glad he’s playing on his leadership this year has been outstanding and whilst he’s not as quick as he once was or touching it as much he is still impacting games and doing a good job
Honestly Pendles Sidey Howe Adams have all been great in there leadership this year acting a on-field coaches
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

burnsy17 wrote:
Not even as part of a Grundy deal?
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Pies2016 »

burnsy17 wrote:
Yes, they rate him very highly. Very promising KPP type.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by eddiesmith »

So Richmond get Taranto and Hopper committing to them…

Can only assume Dusty is leaving? But our midfield options for trading are drying up. Got to ask why Richmond seem to keep beating us?
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

eddiesmith wrote:So Richmond get Taranto and Hopper committing to them…

Can only assume Dusty is leaving? But our midfield options for trading are drying up. Got to ask why Richmond seem to keep beating us?
Did we even go for hopper? Hard to be beaten if you haven’t made an attempt?
Taranto good player but Collingwood haven’t missed out on too much there.
There’s one player supporters should be anxious about & that’s Henry. Midfielders are always somehow found. But a player like Henry is gold.
He & JDG are our X-factor ( whatever that means) players & should be the priority.
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

Dusty is staying. Owed $2.6M over next 2 years. Lynch still on big dollars.

But plenty of cap space because Edwards and Lambert retired (which they would have planned for so how much space does it actually create) and Riewoldt and Cotchin playing for $300K.

I’m sure plenty of contracts being “restructured” as we speak
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by eddiesmith »

scoobydoo wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:So Richmond get Taranto and Hopper committing to them…

Did we even go for hopper? Hard to be beaten if you haven’t made an attempt?
Taranto good player but Collingwood haven’t missed out on too much there.
There’s one player supporters should be anxious about & that’s Henry. Midfielders are always somehow found. But a player like Henry is gold.
He & JDG are our X-factor ( whatever that means) players & should be the priority.
The fact Geelong have missed out on Hopper and withdrawn from Grundy then there is nothing in their way to getting Henry. Always concerned when young players demand more money, often a good sign they've made up their mind.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

Club haven’t been playing him for a reason:
1. Better players in front of him
2. Deficiency in his game (pressure?)
3. Doesn’t suit current structure (he’s probably a younger Jamie Elliott - dynamic type).

Certainly has talent. Can jump, mark and kick well, but does he do enough without the ball given he’s not 6’6” and 100kg?? Hope he doesn’t leave but feeling more like he will.

Maybe he gets squeezed out to allow some of these incoming trades which are being speculated on.

What I don’t want is for us to blow up the cap again.

Also very keen to see what may come up as trade compo. Somewhere around 20?? (Being realistic..). What would we use a pick like that for?
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Agreed with everything you said until “ around pick 20 “.
Won’t happen but whatever it is, I’m guessing they will roll it into something else. The list is young enough as it is, they won’t want to invest to heavily in the draft again after their last two seasons ( providing they have some cash to splash )
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Is Billy Frampton coming to Collingwood?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/07/ ... od-target/

Someone needs to show him the way

https://youtu.be/zLgeTtYwQ7o
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

watt price tully wrote:Is Billy Frampton coming to Collingwood?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/07/ ... od-target/

Someone needs to show him the way

https://youtu.be/zLgeTtYwQ7o
I watched him play at junior level, very underwhelming to put it nicely. I see they rave about him in that article. He would have had to have improved a hell of a lot for me to get very enthused.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

There is one downside when a champion in Pendlebury has longevity in the game or players like Sidebottom at age 31 (32 in January) or Howe 32 (33 in June) are still playing solid football and it's the situation where you are somewhat sacrificing your future prospects for the now.

While I believe all are contracted for next season and should remain at the club if you were to play devils advocate you could mount a case that if one or two weren't signed beyond this season our club if not in a better position in 2023 would certainly be in 2024 if we sacrificed the now for the future and moved one or two of them on for players like Taranto and Hopper.

Unfortunately for us the stars haven't been aligning in recent years when it comes to trading and if it wasn't a salary cap bursting at the seams it's been club greats playing football at a good enough standard that they can't easily be sacrificed for our future prospects.

Next year however it might be a different story and the club will start calling time on some aging stars if their form dips enough to justify the decision and/or younger options emerge we believe can replace them.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!