What made you happy today? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

That used to be true of Italy (there was a meme of Fabio Grosso wearing aqualungs and scuba gear that was widely shared after he appeared to die in agony after an Australian player ran near him at the 2006 World Cup Finals). It isn't so much, now - Raheem Sterling milked a dubious penalty against Denmark and tried to do so in the Final - but the Italian defenders were too good. The ones that really annoy with their diving (South America, where it is a subsidised art-form, aside) these days are the Spanish. Jordy Alba sometimes looks like he has exploded on contact.
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:No book, just google it. There's lots of detail about the glycemic index which is all about sugar, google the Insulin Index which takes it to a different level. Stuff that is OK according to the GI is actually not according to the II.

Again, it's about portion size and what you eat.

Once you lose weight, exercise is easier and causes less stress to joints which is really just basic physics so it becomes easier to maintain a healthy weight.
That’s what I do. Keto is a bit of a generic term but it’s the insulin resistance my GP is in to. I changed GP’s to do this some time ago “LCHF Doctors Down under”. I’m working towards the portion control bit. Last night I had a organic bbq porterhouse ( I used to have 2). I cooked up their home made (low carb) Italian snags to have today but ate ‘em last night :roll: :roll: with steamed veg and salad.

Week 3 on Tuesday I’ll start going harder in terms of portion.
Under the Donna Astin plan I did, a meal was basically 1 -1/2 cups of veg and 250g of protein.

I make up a salad I use for lunch during the week, I chop up some radish, baby cucumber, celery, brown onion, capsicum and tasty cheese. Mix that with spinach leaves and some cherry tomatoes. Put about 2 cups of that in a bowl, add 1 hardboiled egg, half an avocado, some olives and pickled jalapeno's and some left over meat. Olive oil mixed with lemon juice or vinegar for dressing.

Breakfast is either cooked with no carbs or some cereal I make myself out of natural mixed nuts and some oats.

Once the weight is off, it's not that hard (touch wood) to keep it off. Stick to it.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

The Tiger zoo near me has closed for good. The majority of visitors were Indians, Chinese, Koreans and Vietnamese . They are not here. $00 animals are no longer fodder for tourists taking selfies.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

The Tiger zoo near me has closed for good. The majority of visitors were Indians, Chinese, Koreans and Vietnamese . They are not here. $00 animals are no longer fodder for tourists taking selfies.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

What happened to the animals, or shouldn't I ask?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:What happened to the animals, or shouldn't I ask?
if they shot them they are still better off than living as they were.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

stui magpie wrote:What happened to the animals, or shouldn't I ask?
Some have gone to other places but the majority are on a private property of the owner who has plenty of land and money.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Hopefully they've being treated well and able to roam around rather than kept in cages.

In other news got my Tax Return today. Again, that was quick. Handy little refund just over 3 weeks net pay. Put that aside for Ron and Justin.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

really good service.

Needed a new Microwave, so jumped on The Good Guys website, picked out the one I wanted, selected the store and bought it online.

Few minutes later I get an email confirmation, 5 minutes after that I get an email and text to say it's ready. I click a link to tell them I'm on the way and get in the car.

Drive over to the store, pull up in the carpark, young bloke with a mask and some PED, comes over. Show him the email on the tablet, he enters the code into his PED, says "Microwave?". I say Yep, he heads off and 2 minutes later comes back with the microwave and lobs it into the back seat of the car.

That's just great service, stuff just works that quick and easy.
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

A few years ago Mums oven/microwave was shot. So my brother and I decided to buy the parents a new one for Xmas. Mum and I headed to Maryborough Qld shopping centre so she could have a look. Went to Harvey Norman and the salesman ignored me completely and kept talking about finance and term payments. I kept saying we are paying cash. He persisted with the payment terms BS and as I wanted a feed and a beer I said "Mum, lets go elsewhere , this clown doesn't get it".

Walked 150 metres to the good Guys , saw same model Mum wanted, offerred cash, got a discount (30 bucks cheaper than Harvey Norman, and the sales dude went into the storeroom and brought back one in a box. Took no time.

As we walked past Harvey Norman to the car the Harvey Norman sales bloke was out the front having a smoke and me carrying an oven said "Its easy when you listen you dickhead"
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Yeah, Good Guys are good and are willing to haggle on price too
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Checked the NT Gov Covid website first thing this morning, their CHO had revoked the hotspots for Victoria at 00:01 this morning.

I rang their Coronavirus hotline to be sure. They had a really good function to push star to get a call back rather than sitting on hold so I used that. Got a call back 6 hours later when I was in a video meeting and I couldn't answer but they left a message and yep, I'm allowed in without quarantining. :D

As long as Dan and co don't phuc it up from here, I'm off to the heat next week.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Started doing some packing today, realised that most of my good casual summer shirts are 2 sizes too big and I'd left some of the ones that aren't up in Toc.

So quick trip to Myer Norfland, the few bits of summer stuff is on sale, picked up 3 new shirts. :D
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by eddiesmith »

How were the crowds? Up here the shops were packed, I went to buy some stuff, got the register and thought lone is long but should be ok, then I realised oh no the line went around the corner and stretched as far as I could see. Decided the things I was buying weren’t that important and put them back!!!
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

Coooolllliiiinnnnggggwwwwoooood!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!