Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for McStay and he ain't even a Pie yet. When he arrives, he'll be on a hiding to nothing. He's already a pretty average player, but if he continues to be an average player at Collingwood (and why wouldn't he?) on a reputed $650,000 pa, and we let go our AA ruckman in Grundy to get him, then I fear our fans will throw more (unfair) abuse at him than they have at any other player. It doesn't bode well I'm afraid. :cry:
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

Im not really pessimistic on Mcstay. I think hes a good mark but he should go well down back as well.
If we get Frampton who I know hasnt set the world on fire but could also be a great key position defender.
If we can fit JDG and Taranto and Hill in the salary cap I would be very happy with that. I guess all this depends if Grundy leaves the club.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

Buckley has stated mcstay doesn’t have/want the desire to impact at ground level. That much is plain to see watching him live or not.
no second chances
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

Looks like Taranto to Richmond according to the AFL trade bell.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

RudeBoy wrote:I'm actually starting to feel sorry for McStay and he ain't even a Pie yet. When he arrives, he'll be on a hiding to nothing. He's already a pretty average player, but if he continues to be an average player at Collingwood (and why wouldn't he?) on a reputed $650,000 pa, and we let go our AA ruckman in Grundy to get him, then I fear our fans will throw more (unfair) abuse at him than they have at any other player. It doesn't bode well I'm afraid. :cry:
While I don't see a correlation between us needing to trade Grundy in order to pay for McStay I do feel there is a connection between the two possible moves.

The potential trading of Grundy is seemingly a sign that McRae doesn't place a high value on the role of a ruck or at least not at the contract price of Grundy.

When it comes to the recruitment of McStay for mine the greatest chance of him value adding to the team next season is for us to move to a 1 ruck model with him used in a support role.

This would give us the flexibility of adding him to our forward mix but also enable us to keep giving games to a Johnson, Henry or Krueger.

Of course if we are intending on moving to a 1 ruck model a very good argument could be made that keeping our best ruck option in Grundy is the optimal choice in that situation.

I can't argue with that but if we do move him on I guess it only reinforces the view that McRae doesn't value the position to the point he wants to pay a player $900,000+ a year to fill it.

Personally I just don't see how the McStay acquisition will benefit us if we don't use him in a relief ruck role because right now people argue with Cameron, Cox, Mihocek and Johnson in the 22 there is no room for Henry.

Well if that becomes Cameron, Cox, Mihocek and McStay in 2023 then say bye bye to not only Henry but Johnson also if people want to be consistent with their views.

I'm sorry but nothing to date indicates McStay is a good enough stand alone forward option that we want to stymie the development of one of those named above week after week in 2023 so he must either fill a dual role or be switched to defence.
Last edited by swoop42 on Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

1, 7, 6, 4, 5, 7, 5, 11.

Those are the winning margins from our last 8 victories.

In any other season it would have been reasonable to expect we lose half of those and miss finals.

Finish outside of the eight and not be on our current high due to all the exhilarating wins witnessed this year and I'd strongly argue people wouldn't be so nonchalant about the prospective of trading our best ruck in Grundy or losing a young forward talent in Henry.

Honestly, the simple fact that the Premiership favourites in Geelong and Melbourne are sniffing around Grundy tells you all you need to know about how he is rated externally and they must be giggling to themselves with the prospect of us picking up a portion of his wage to make his path to them happen.

If people can't see the serious potential lying within Henry and only want to focus on the areas a still 20yo needs to improve on then that's on them. I'll be shocked if all the list managers of the other 17 clubs think the same and aren't more concerned with the positives and what he can already do to impact at AFL level. I'll be surprised if one of them isn't Geelong. Post Hawkins he'll be primed and ready to go come 2024 as they look to build their forward line around Cameron.

Personally I'd be happy to sacrifice a Brown brother or two if he's holding out for 100k more a season x 2 years because personally I'd rather his next 100 games and 200 goals be at Collingwood.

But hey that's just me.

For the record.

Jack Gunston first two seasons @ Adelaide
14 games
20.11 goals
1.42 goal average
2.21 shots on goal average
10.35 disposal average
4.64 mark average
1.78 tackle average

Oliver Henry first two seasons @ Collingwood
23 games
28.23 goals
1.21 goal average
2.21 shots on goal average
9.21 disposal average
3.82 mark average
0.95 tackle average
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Pep

Post by Pep »

Sam Edmund on the Trade Bell for SEN

Brown bros are gettable, if/when they find a home is a different story.

Dan McStay - coming in.
Billy Frampton - basically over the line, will be our Roughy replacement
Bobby Hill - basically over the line bar any hiccups

And rumours of Weideman to the pies as well

Grundy will be a Dee or Cat (both options make me throw up a bit in my mouth)

Tanner Bruhn to Hawks
Taranto is bound for Richmond.

Rumour is JDG contract was signed 3 weeks ago and waiting for finals to finish to confirm. Sam said he has herd this as well and checked with Jordy's management and he said that was not true.
Deal would be a 2yr deal with triggers/clauses.
Last edited by Pep on Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

If Grundy goes to the cats, then there needs to be a royal commission into their salary cap.
The General
Has liked: 3 times

Post by The General »

RudeBoy wrote:I'm actually starting to feel sorry for McStay and he ain't even a Pie yet. When he arrives, he'll be on a hiding to nothing. He's already a pretty average player, but if he continues to be an average player at Collingwood (and why wouldn't he?) on a reputed $650,000 pa, and we let go our AA ruckman in Grundy to get him, then I fear our fans will throw more (unfair) abuse at him than they have at any other player. It doesn't bode well I'm afraid. :cry:
If he is getting paid $650,000 pa, then that that's 650,000 reasons not to feel sorry for him. If he is asking for that much money to join us, then he will deserve every piece of abuse fans hurl at him if he doesn't perform.

If he was on $300,000 pa, then that is a very different story.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Mr Miyagi wrote:If Grundy goes to the cats, then there needs to be a royal commission into their salary cap.

Plus the bastards wanted De Goey, oh but didnt you know, down at bloody Sleepy Hollow they dont HAVE a salary cap, the books are cooked, without a shadow of a doubt. Has to be some shenaigans going on there, for sure.

OH, and if Oliver Henry leaves us, I will be bloody spewing, furious, he has terrific potential, huge upside. :o :?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Real supporters don't abuse their own
Have you been in the game day thread recently?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

The General wrote:
If he is getting paid $650,000 pa, then that that's 650,000 reasons not to feel sorry for him. If he is asking for that much money to join us, then he will deserve every piece of abuse fans hurl at him if he doesn't perform.

If he was on $300,000 pa, then that is a very different story.
So your level of support for players is related to how much they are paid? (not that we know exactly how much they are paid anyway). You must be real salty on Grundy's contribution this year. You must also be a massive fan of Nathan Murphy.

I also rail at this idea of players "asking" for money. Sure they ask, but nobody is holding a gun to anyone else's head to actually agree to an amount. If McStay does come to the club (which seems likely), then clearly the decision makers will be happy with whatever the financial terms are. I dont get the hate on players (and often people criticise the managers...) being so greedy as to take "all this money".
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Son of the Boonman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Son of the Boonman »

Why chase Bobby Hill when we have better performers in Ginnivan and McCreery?
Why chase McStay when we have talls in Johnston, Mihocek, Kreuger, McMahon, Henry, Kelly, Cameron, Cox etc?
Why would you pay another club money to take Grundy, one of the best 3 or 4 Ruckmen in the AFL?
Why would you consider trading one of our best performers in De Goey?
What has Billy Frampton or Weideman ever achieved on the footy field?
Taranto would be worth having though, but not at the expense of Grundy or De Goey

Unless this is all unfounded media speculation or the club has knowledge that nobody else knows, the rationale has got me stuffed
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

Son of the Boonman wrote:Why chase Bobby Hill when we have better performers in Ginnivan and McCreery?
Why chase McStay when we have talls in Johnston, Mihocek, Kreuger, McMahon, Henry, Kelly, Cameron, Cox etc?
Why would you pay another club money to take Grundy, one of the best 3 or 4 Ruckmen in the AFL?
Why would you consider trading one of our best performers in De Goey?
What has Billy Frampton or Weideman ever achieved on the footy field?
Taranto would be worth having though, but not at the expense of Grundy or De Goey

Unless this is all unfounded media speculation or the club has knowledge that nobody else knows, the rationale has got me stuffed
Hill and Ginnivan provide more goal scoring power. McCreery, for all his great pressure, does not kick a lot of goals. Perhaps a midfield lockdown guy on the opposition's best midfielder would suit him and he can certainly run off if he gets possession.

McStay and Frampton are in as defenders. Either can take the Roughhead role I'm thinking, the other may be depth. Not sure what their thinking here is.

Keep Grundy, unless you get an offer too good to refuse.

I've heard De Goey has signed on, hasn't been made public yet.

Frampton and Weideman are good players in the wrong team. Would Richmond have ever thought Nankervis would turn out to be the player he is. Some players just need a new environment.

If they can sueeze in taranto as well, all the better. Personally, I would target Hopper as he is much bigger and just as good in the middle.

They're just my thoughts, I could be way off beam.
Jatsad - That is all