So. What's for Dinner?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:celebration dinner at our favourite chinese booked, got a nice bottle of brown brothers chillin, a bottle of Hanwood port to warm the cockles when we get back home, and I think I might sink a Jim Beam while I wait for everyone to get home from school/work!

been working on our biggest ever work contract for months, and it got signed today! heres to lots of hard work coming up, and a US road trip next year!!

cheers
Careful mixing the grape and the grain, doesn't always end well.
It's looking good so far! :wink:
All depends on volume.

eg, I learned a couple of years ago that when you have a bit of a night on the turps, going onto the red wine after 10 beers and half a bottle of bourbon tends to end the night quickly.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote: Careful mixing the grape and the grain, doesn't always end well.
It's looking good so far! :wink:
All depends on volume.

eg, I learned a couple of years ago that when you have a bit of a night on the turps, going onto the red wine after 10 beers and half a bottle of bourbon tends to end the night quickly.
Honey, I'm a 2 pot screamer, 1 scotch, 1.5 wines (the kids and hubby had a glass, and the waitress spilt the rest) 1 more scotch so far
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Went out to Ciao Cielo in bay Street Port Melbourne last night for my youngsest 21st.

She has 2 friends as well as Mrs WPT , the oldest & me the token male.

Pleasant night, lovely feel / ambience dare I say, good company & pretty good grub. Not brilliant but very good. The Chef is an ex Chef at the Stokehouse a few years ago:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/1492210/ ... -Melbourne

http://www.urbanspoon.com/cities/71-mel ... cielo/menu

The menu was a bit different than above.

I had the goat Sardinian style leg of goat, slow cooked with a lemon like gremolata through it, hint of chilli, with some fennel, ?dill & some Tannin jus with green olives & some elongated cubes of fried polenta. Very filling & yummy on a hot night served in a clay like pot.

6 people, 3 entrees, 6 mains, 6 glasses of various alcohol, 2 side dishes, three deserts, one coffee: about $350.

I'm a big eater & was full (not of it but dinner). Not bad value for a 21st dinner. Next weekend is the party at our house.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Making this recipe:

Jamaican jerk chicken.

In the Age online.

Marinating in the fridge overnight, for baking tomorrow. Using 1.5 chillies rather than the 4 they suggested. Some like it hot - not so much for me.

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/co ... 3c9t5.html
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman

Post by 1061 »

Pizza!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Went to the warehouse after my day job, and hubby hands me a book (we are returning a book distribution centre back to base for the landlord)

"I can't cook book"

He's picking up a pizza on the way home
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote:Went to the warehouse after my day job, and hubby hands me a book (we are returning a book distribution centre back to base for the landlord)

"I can't cook book"

He's picking up a pizza on the way home
Has he booked in for surgery to have the book removed from colon or is he relying on laxettes? :P
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Hehehehehehehe!
think positive

Post by think positive »

2 drumsticks, and a skinny cow cheesecake ice cream

2 years ago today mums doctor rang me and asked for permission to let her go. An hour on the phone to an incredible elephant loving nurse we all know and love, helped me make the right decision. Hardest thing I've ever done.

Sometimes, you just need ice cream.

Cheers
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Having some Budweiser that was on sale at Woolies. How do Americans drink this? It's like beer flavoured cordial.
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

think positive wrote:2 drumsticks, and a skinny cow cheesecake ice cream

2 years ago today mums doctor rang me and asked for permission to let her go. An hour on the phone to an incredible elephant loving nurse we all know and love, helped me make the right decision. Hardest thing I've ever done.

Cheers
Wow - is it really 2 years ago Jo - where does time go!

You made the right decision and I am sure that mum was so happy and proud that you had the courage and loved her enough to make that decision!
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
think positive

Post by think positive »

Morrigu wrote:
think positive wrote:2 drumsticks, and a skinny cow cheesecake ice cream

Cheers
Wow - is it really 2 years ago Jo - where does time go!

You made the right decision and I am sure that mum was so happy and proud that you had the courage and loved her enough to make that decision!
Thanks mate, I can never thankYOU enough for what you did that day xxx
Because in my heart and my head, I know I did the right thing, even standing up to my sisters. That gives me peace.

Post by 1061 »

At work we're going through a period of 1-2 a week seem to be going, some are expected some a shock and some holding. I must say I am uncomfortable when it comes to withholding treatment apart from ever increasing doses of morphine and no food.
think positive

Post by think positive »

1061 wrote:At work we're going through a period of 1-2 a week seem to be going, some are expected some a shock and some holding. I must say I am uncomfortable when it comes to withholding treatment apart from ever increasing doses of morphine and no food.
It's really uncomfortable watching your mother, who only knows you once in a blue moon, and nobody else ever, suffer the indignity of complete and utter despair, not able to do anything for themselves any more, nothing, absolutely nothing, but choose when enough is enough. It's really uncomfortable the day they use that tiny time frame when they are lucid enough, to take your hand, look you in the eye and say "Jo, I've had enough".

There is no treatment for that. There is only compassion. offering food but not forcing it, spending time, just sitting, being there. Watching the ever flowing morphine take away some of the pain, some of the despair. for 2 weeks from this day I did that.

6 months before, I'd held my beautiful Chloe in my arms as the vet gave her one simple injection, and she simply drifted off to sleep. At peace, so easily, so painlessly. A simple dignified end to the life of a grand old lady. Something we are able to afford our fur family, but sadly not our human family.

The hardest word I have ever spoken. " Is this what your mother would want, to stay in her room, not be on machines in a hospital. "

Yes.
watt price tully

Marinating chicken thighs with bone left in with:

Garlic, ginger, chilli, cumin, smoked paprika, fresh mint, fresh coriander, salt, pepper, lemon juice & yoghurt. In the fridge overnight.

For baking this evening with salad & veg.

Also a soup with no fat but tasty as (making it this arvo):

Onion, oyster-blade steak or any blade steak (that one you can cook over time), water, carrot, zucchini, small parsnip, celery, fine barley, salt, pepper & dill.

Slice the onion & line the bottom of the soup pot with the onion then lay the steak over the onion & put it on the lowest heat for about 30 - 40 minutes with lid on. Later add water, diced vege's & condiments (not dill - save till later). Can add chicken stock powder (massel's powered is a good one)

After one hour or more take out the steak & cut into edible size chunks. Then add dill - lots of it chopped up.

Make sure you rinse the barley well before using. Like a good curry, it gets better the longer it's cooking / waiting e.g. tastes better the next day.

Yummy