Russian invasion of Ukraine

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

Wow. That happened sooner than expected.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/yev ... 5dyzl.html
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 236 times

Post by Jezza »

The most unsurprising death of 2023.

I guess what’s surprising is he didn’t fall out of a window.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
stui magpie
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

He did, the window just happened to be in an airborne plane. He was poisoned first just to be sure. :P :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

While no one should mourn this monster it would have been nice if he could have taken Putin out alongside himself 2 months ago.

Russia is nothing but a mafia state and old Vladimir remains the top Don.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

swoop42 wrote:While no one should mourn this monster it would have been nice if he could have taken Putin out alongside himself 2 months ago.

Russia is nothing but a mafia state and old Vladimir remains the top Don.
I agree...Russia is a mafia state.
Likewise...Ukraine is a mafia state. It has occupied top place in the European corruption stakes for over a decade. Zelensky represents a febrile kleptocracy which steal NATO supplied vehicles, sell them on the black market for extra cash, send their sons overseas to escape conscription, while happily agreeing for the sons of the working class to be eviscerated Verdun style in futile attacks on reinforced Russian positions.
Finally, the US government is run by nothing other than a suit and collar mafia, a band of imperialist gangsters who have paid of Zelensky to be their little bitch.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

David wrote:This is pretty damning:

https://fair.org/home/hyping-ukraine-co ... journalism
Yes it is. Confirms what I have posted here.
The US provoked this war and is using Ukrainian men as cannon fodder to prosecute it for its own geostrategic interests.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

So i had to google geostrategy and was surprised that it wasn't about geology, ie oil or precious metals!

So Bidens administration egged on Russia to attack the Ukraine, to achieve ....?

get rid of Putin, Zelensky or both?

Take the heat of the US somehow?

I can understand why the world is better without Putin, Zelensky id never heard of before this, but he has been painted as a bit of a hero. is this like sons of Anarchy, which had good bad guys, bad good guys, and everything in between?

And my biggest question, how the **** do they sleep at night killing all those fighters for...what exactly?

genuine questions. Im trying to learn more about world political shit
cheers
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

^That's a good explanation from David, TP.

The thing that matters far and above everything is Ukraine's own view on the desire to keep fighting, the degree of support its getting, and being willing to strike a deal.

The assumption that there are some scumbags in politics and the military wins absolutely no awards for insight. Neither does scepticism due to people asking 'what's in it for me?' (a lot, but it's very hard to calculate out and grasp tangibly), and thinking that money would be best spent on themselves rather than defending Ukraine.

So yes, gravity still exists.

Naturally, no one sane wants to die. I wouldn't want to, but then no one's invaded my country and blown up my grandmother's apartment block, so I can't quite imagine what my opinion would be in that context.

Quoting oneself and running a very rudimentary Google search to cobble together a few articles as this crowd does? At least find proper data to report on. Remember the Lancet estimate of deaths in Iraq? That was proper data.

Counter articles are not counter insight, nor evidence of propaganda in any technical sense of the word. Would publishing pro-Empire of Japan articles in equal number to pro-Allied articles have been deemed a remedy to 'propaganda'? No, there are always greater parameters set by tacit agreement, after which the term 'proaganda' becomes anything from misleading to outright deceitful.

So, the definitions and analysis are juvenile.

If you're going to do a content analysis, do a proper content analysis including conceptual framing. Then publish it in a decent journal that will also demand it be contextually aware and sophisticated. Then report on it.

Has anyone got reliable Ukrainian poll numbers yet? You know, proper information selected because Ukrainian opinion matters most when it comes to Ukrainian lives and livelihoods. I do expect wavering and a decline in support, and sometimes violent thugs have their way in life, at least for a time, but it's still not for me to put words in Ukrainian mouths.
stui magpie
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

pietillidie wrote: no one sane wants to die.
Except, we're all going to die. It's only a matter of when and how.

being afraid of dying is just FOMO
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:
pietillidie wrote: no one sane wants to die.
Except, we're all going to die. It's only a matter of when and how.

being afraid of dying is just FOMO
Yeah nah, I disagree. Sending barely adults out as cannon fodder IMO is murder, and a horrible waste of human life. Do they send their own children?

I honestly can’t imagine saying goodbye to my kids as they went off to fight in a war, futile or not.

Cheers for the explanations.

I kndof get a sense that the US is doing just enough that if the Ukraine sone how comes out on top they can claim a part ofthe victory.

As much as I’ve always loved the pomp and ceremony at US events I’ve been to, such as baseball, basketball (LeBron at his best is something I’ll never forget), the speedway, andthe amazing experience of Memorial Day at the NASCAR Coca-Cola 600, I’m kinda growing uneasy at their seeming love affair with wars in other countries. Ihave US friends all over doing it tough, complaining about how much their military costs. And I get it. There’s a Netflix movie about an Afghan interpreter saving a US officer, putting his family at huge risk, the officer went back and got them out, the end credits tell the story of the aftermath, once the US left, things went back to the way it was, or worse. Was it oil, 9/11, power? What didit gain? Not just for the US but for its people, and the people of Afghanistan.

But I also get wanting to keep Russia and/or China down.

For me trump really put that nail in the coffin, the huge divide he caused racially and fiscally. Did anything get better? It’s made me so sad, 6 huge road trips and I wasn’t finished, but now, I can’t see me going back unless things radically change. It’s like a powder keg.

I certainly agree re Ukraine defending itself. I guess I cant understand how Russia has been allowed to do this. Beyond sanctions what should the rest of the world do?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

^TP: It is great how you are analysing the situation. I like your questions. Just one thing: Russia was not "allowed to invade Ukraine" - it was provoked. The US and NATO kept expanding to Russia's borders: the 2014 coup in Ukraine, allowed the US and NATO to keep arming and training the ukrainian army. Then the US and NATO carried out massive war games in the Black Sea on Russia's door step. Russia invaded Ukraine hoping that somehow by doing so it could strike a deal with the US to guarantee its security. This was a catastrophic mistake, because teh US will never do such a deal, and is intent on using young Ukrainain men as cannon fodder for ''as long as it takes'' to fatally undermine the Putin regime. Putin is a criminal because he is sending in young Russian men to die just so the rich elite in Russia that he represents can try to squirm into a deal with the US government. But it is the US government driving this crisis because it will accept no deal. It wants to seize all the mineral resources of Russia, and will not tolerate Putin, because Putin wants a cut for the Russian capitalists, which teh US is not willing to give.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »