Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Presti35 »

I believe McStay and Bobby Hill will be Collingwood players in 2023.

The longer JDG remains unsigned, the more that worries me. Same with Henry. I hope both re-sign soon.

Is there anyone other than Taranto that we'll be linked to? This will be a tough trade. Should we look at Hopper or Tanner Bruhn instead?

RE: Grundy, I do not want to pay him to play elsewhere and I do not want to trade him for nothing. Is there anyway this can turn into a winning situation?

Poulter/Draper rumoured to be interested in returning to SA. Brown boys yet to be offered new deals. Are the rumors of interest from North and Sydney true? Would like to hold onto Draper, but those 4 players could land us a couple of mid ranged picks.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Presti35 »

Pep wrote:I saw Jed Anderson from the Roos has been let go...
Is this true? Interesting cull by them if true.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Pep

Post by Pep »

Presti35 wrote:
Yeah, I think I saw it on Twitter somewhere lol, but definitely heard it on the midweek rub on Tripple M.

Nothing official from North though.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I suspect Henry will be gone next season, given that the h & a season is over and he still hasn't signed a contract extension. I hope he signs on as he has enormous potential, but if his heart is set on joining his brother at the pussies, then we need to play hard ball and extract the maximum in a trade deal.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Pep wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
Yeah, I think I saw it on Twitter somewhere lol, but definitely heard it on the midweek rub on Tripple M.

That would be the second time he’s let go under Clarkson then. Was dumped from Hawthorn too
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
The Black and White Lion

Pep wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

That would be the second time he’s let go under Clarkson then. Was dumped from Hawthorn too
The Black and White Lion

RudeBoy wrote:I suspect Henry will be gone next season, given that the h & a season is over and he still hasn't signed a contract extension. I hope he signs on as he has enormous potential, but if his heart is set on joining his brother at the pussies, then we need to play hard ball and extract the maximum in a trade deal.
Agree. You wouldn’t want to leave this team now otherwise would you?

May be more too it and he’s holding out for final $ post what ever happens with reported trades. We might salary dump with BG, we might not. We might lose JDG, we may not. We might take McStay, we might not.

Either way if he stays in B&w next year he needs to build the tank some more and learn defensive pressure. Every forward needs goal kicking practice but Henry needs to chase and tackle when he doesn’t have the ball. Should have Jamie Elliot v2022 videos on repeat every time he picks up a device
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

RudeBoy wrote:I suspect Henry will be gone next season, given that the h & a season is over and he still hasn't signed a contract extension. I hope he signs on as he has enormous potential, but if his heart is set on joining his brother at the pussies, then we need to play hard ball and extract the maximum in a trade deal.
If he goes to Geelong I’ll be very grumpy.
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

I heard on the radio it's 2 sticking points. One is the money, he thinks he's being lowballed, the second is role clarity. With McStay being mooted to be coming in as a forward, Johnson playing well, Kreuger coming back, where does he fit into the plans?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
SwansWay

Post by SwansWay »

It's so odd how these days players with two season's under their belt aren't willing to compete for their spots. I understand he's not getting the kind of game time he would desire but he's only played a couple of dozen games. Some of these youngsters need to give it some time. Checkers ain't getting any younger either. If everybody left clubs because they are in and out of the side, we'd have no competition to enjoy.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Is it a Gen Z thing? We have kids at work who, within a week of starting, are already jumping up and down for manager positions.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

stui magpie wrote:
I heard on the radio it's 2 sticking points. One is the money, he thinks he's being lowballed, the second is role clarity. With McStay being mooted to be coming in as a forward, Johnson playing well, Kreuger coming back, where does he fit into the plans?
And you could most likely add Bobby Hill into the mix too.
I never get overly fussed about players leaving as long as the club is adequately compensated in return. He came to us at pick 17 and if we got something like that back, I’m ok with it all. We will likely get a little less because he’s out of contract but if that means we then bundle up two first rounders for a top 10 KPP prospect, then I see it as an investment in our spine for years to come.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

I'd rather keep Henry than pay overs for McStay.
Ollie has so much potential, McStay is 28 next year and IMO a good average player.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Skids wrote:I'd rather keep Henry than pay overs for McStay.
Ollie has so much potential, McStay is 28 next year and IMO a good average player.
Ditto. Forget McStay, there’s Essendon with quality players disgusted with their club bosses and would be happy to move clubs. ;)
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Skids wrote:I'd rather keep Henry than pay overs for McStay.
I've never suggested for a second that we get McStay and let Henry go. There's room in our forward line for both Henry, McStay and Bobby Hill. Our forward line could look something like this:
Elliot McStay (or Kreuger) Ginnivan
Hill Mihocek Henry (or Johnson)

You need to have options going into the future. Elliot and Mihocek could only have another couple of years left. Same with WHE. Injuries play a part as well. There's no guarantee with Kreuger that his shoulders will stay together. Hill is a risk given he's recovering form testicular cancer. Each new player we bring in is one player who falls off the list. Paraphrasing Craig McRae we need to look at good players on our list who aren't going to make us better going forward as a club and so it's players like Madgen and Wilson and the Brown brothers we need to look at. Poulter, Begg and McMahon are our future. I wouldn't be touching them either (maybe Chugg?)