Post Match. Hawks humble Pies . All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

shawthing wrote:No comment.
We said that last week! Great motivational ploy.

And some gold from late in the game-thread; home truths hurt. Good. Let's go:
simon tonna wrote:Season over ladies and gentlemen. Season over.
The Fraud Squad are BACK!
We are effectively St.Kilda, but sitting on top of the table under false pretences.
Anyhoo, lucky we only have to play teams below us on the ladder until our season ends, hopefully via a straight-sets mercy killing.
simon tonna wrote:This is so embarrassing. It’s the worst performance I’ve seen by this team for years. What a derailment, an absolute train wreck.
Every bit as disgusting as the efforts under Buckley through certain seasons, when there was a lot less talent on the lists. This is a new low.
shawthing wrote:Remember this date folks. It might be the moment some of us realised that no matter how much we hope for it, Collingwood will never win another premiership as long as we live.
"Remember that year we were two games clear on top with four rounds to go and not ONE F#CKING injury, and then went out in straight sets?"
2023 looming as THE Greatest Wasted opportunity in all our years watching this garbage.
Seth wrote: I will add that Chad Wingard is probably one of the worst performing players in the AFL in recent times but we have played him back into some form.
This front running Squib is suddenly petrified his contract is about to get nuked. Wish some of our front running bludgers had that level of fear to motivate them to perform.
What'sinaname wrote:We officially shit ourselves when we play the brown and gold
Clarko's little bitches, where the poo+piss live rent-free, just under different coaches.
Haff wrote:17 - 2 centre clearances.
I just can’t get my head round that fact.
I'm going to need Gezza to see if this is in fact THE most putrid return by ANY team, either this season, or ones previous. It was THAT insipid.
Haff wrote:God this feels like 2011. A side that was so dominant, mid season fell away, fell into the finals.
That season we were better than now. Now we look cooked. I just want to break something.
That smug smile off the coach's face would be a start.
pablo wrote: Disappointing effort last couple of weeks, but we're sitting on top of the ladder, it's been an enjoyable season to date and we'll pick up in the next couple of weeks. Deep breath everyone!

Yeah deep breath before the sunshine+lollypooppers brigade shove their heads back into the sand like the ostriches they are.

If the sky isn't falling in now, well, run for cover when it f#cking does.

Life is full of surprises; for example - I didn't think I could actually find a new level of anger after last week's shitfest, but **** where I sit, on the verge of an aneurism right now, lucky me....

Geek is giving me anger management therapy via the PMs as we speak; he is a good egg.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by What'sinaname »

The Brissy game might just determine who gets a home final out of the two of us
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

The great news out of this is that Carlton’s effort last week doesn’t look much good, now.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

What a Joke of a Team we are now

Playing the worst Footy in the AFL.

Midfield is a Joke.

Backline was Terrible and kicking to Forwards was Atrocious

Even our best Players and Nick Daicos and Darcy Moore where Terrible

We again can't win a Clearnce
I am Da Man
swooper
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by swooper »

derkd wrote:Unexpected result, honestly, after last week I was hoping for a bit more pressure.

They actually looked worse, no link run, one handed efforts at tackles. I can't count how many times we kicked to contests where Collingwood were 1 on two or 3.

Props to Hawthorn, came to play...bit too much hubris and relaxing because of ladder position.

The worry is the AFL season is a bit like the Melbourne Cup, you can steam out early ...but if you go too hard there is always the pack at the last corner coming into the straight at Flemington....that winner bursts clear late....I am starting to worry we might have been the early bolter who is getting caught.

This team has alot of work to do, good luck fly and team jesus you have to turn a fair bit around. The numbers since the mid-season bye, particularly from midfield and forward 50 ground ball are alarming.
Perfect summation. I am hoping Fly and the team can turn things around in time. There are a lot of holes to fix here and only time will tell if we are good enough to fix them

I think its going to be a helluva a ride
swooper
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by swooper »

derkd wrote:Unexpected result, honestly, after last week I was hoping for a bit more pressure.

They actually looked worse, no link run, one handed efforts at tackles. I can't count how many times we kicked to contests where Collingwood were 1 on two or 3.

Props to Hawthorn, came to play...bit too much hubris and relaxing because of ladder position.

The worry is the AFL season is a bit like the Melbourne Cup, you can steam out early ...but if you go too hard there is always the pack at the last corner coming into the straight at Flemington....that winner bursts clear late....I am starting to worry we might have been the early bolter who is getting caught.

This team has alot of work to do, good luck fly and team jesus you have to turn a fair bit around. The numbers since the mid-season bye, particularly from midfield and forward 50 ground ball are alarming.
Perfect summation. I am hoping Fly and the team can turn things around in time. There are a lot of holes to fix here and only time will tell if we are good enough to fix them

I think its going to be a helluva a ride
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

**** this it’s unraveled out season
We know will go out in straight sets
We are horrible
Other teams have worked us out
Bring on 2024
We won’t win the flag
Players lack ruthlessness
That’s all
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Dave The Man wrote:What a Joke of a Team we are now

Midfield is a Joke.

Not the end of the season yet, Dave. We still have time to regroup, if good enough.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Hiss
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Hiss »

Dave The Man wrote:What a Joke of a Team we are now

Midfield is a Joke.

That’s a bit harsh! Surely you could see some positives in our game today? Did you see how good Nick Daicos was? He will win the Brownlow. Umpires were ok as well. I thought Flea could have not subbed Mitchell so early though. But overall, the Team gave it their best shot today .
I love this club and I hold anyone in contempt who does not think it is worth fighting for.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Someone wrote Mitchell owning us as player, continues owning us as Coach.

Fkn sad, sad days ahead.

And the Scum are up & about!
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

You hoped it wouldn't happen, but it did, with an even tougher run of games ahead.

Without the Mitchell-Daicos engine revving, and perfect conditions for fast ball movement, our good average players are exposed.

I can remember our hands being really fumbly in the pack early under Fly, then we looked to have set new standards with quick hands, but the new style just isn't robust under greasy/wet and heavily contested conditions.

So, we're left still fragile over the ball (as we were under Buckley), and unable to pick up the ball or hit targets by hand or foot in imperfect conditions.

It makes sense, unfortunately, when your success is built on a very distinctive quick ball movement. Footy is a brutal game, so it will eventually tighten as legs and conditions deteriorate. Our confidence in turn has dropped with that.

At the back, the defense is structured to assume the ball movement up the ground will work. It's permanently out of position if that doesn't happen, messing up even our best backs, wasting the talent of Moorey, Bruzzy and Q because they're always wrong-footed and disadvantaged.

Cameron is getting bigger and better, Nicky is doing his bit by hitting the gym hard and trying to become a contested mid, and de Goey is built just right, but Pendles, Mitchell and Sidey have years on them, and McCreery still hasn't got the tank even if he's got the physical goods.

We know Crispy, Adams and Lipinsky can't win head-to head against the best midfields. With age catching Pendles, Mitchell and Sidey, we're vulnerable.

Overall, we're a few classical well-built gun footballers short, including another de Goey, a CHF and a CHB. We knew that, though, but you just hoped the confidence would push us through that and the system would become more resilient.

All-in-all it looks too early in the list build. Good weather will help, but we were always going to need new tricks because teams know we're vulnerable in the contest, and can position to pick us off on the turnover. Perfect conditions can't be assumed, yet in the wet we still try the very same ball movement.

Sometimes, though, these things can look worse with pressure levels dropping as the team looks prematurely to the finals, made still worse as confidence drops accordingly. Maybe the threat of losing a privileged position on top will shock the system into moving beyond self-preservation mode, and pay more attention to the contest.

Over to you, Fly and co. One can guess this was in the back of their minds, but they'd hoped the momentum would carry the team beyond this period.
Last edited by pietillidie on Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Monco Matt wrote:..... essentially cutting our balls off.
'Nutted' at the clearances, so to speak ;-)
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Sadly we are not good enough.

We were outclassed by a better outfit who are on the rise.

We are too old and they have almost the best captain in the AFL>

Moore provides no leadership and not touching the ball today did not help matters.

I think Pendles should not have stood down. He could have left the struggling Moore to sort his game out. He does not intercept the ball anymore.

The rest of the backline was poor as well.

Where are our forwards besides Elliott?
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

It's been a while since I've seen an effort like this. I'm putting it down to mulligan.The illness that has set through the club seems to have left them flat. One thing I will say for sure and certain is that we missed Cox BIG TIME!!! He is the one who has the knack of turning the game in the ruck when we are going bad.The Gold Coast game last year was a perfect example.We were getting flogged out of the middle with Cox starting on the bench. We quickly went t 4 goals down in the first qtr and then Cox came on and we were in front at 1/4 time.Same thing happened in the 3rd qtr of that came and Cox pulled us out of the shit again, from 4 goals down. He most certainly wouldn't have gone as bad as Johnston did today.He seems out of his depth when the pressure is on.His failure to handball to Bobby Hill in the forward pocket said it all for me. Moore had his worst game for years and Pendles looked like a slow old man at times.DeGoey couldn't get a handle on the ball and I'm tipping if MacCrae was available ,Tom Mitchells spot would be in danger next week. Maybe reef can come in.The medias picking apart of Nick Daicos is pathetic and it is spreading through the usual ranks of TV land. We will bounce back next week.hat was THE wake up call we needed. And it all started with Billy missing a sitter for the first goal. And OH!! Am I allowed to say that Miochek is totally without use.He was woeful again today. He's kicked 3 goals in 6 games now. I think a commentator said 3 ..10 in his last 5 games.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Raw Hammer wrote:Can’t wait for Fly’s presser.

Embrace the challenge, celebrate the small wins, express yourself, forget the mistakes, smile…

Vomit.
Really quite a horrible comment.
Did you say this when we won?
We suffer a loss, (4th for season) and you turn on the coach.
We are in a form slump, no doubt. But we have time to address it, if we are good enough.
Give the coach your support as he and our team fight now to turn it around.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins