Indigenous Voice to Parliament

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

To do the Treaty will take time and lots of consultation which the Voice can certainly add to, in the meantime though the Voice can advocate for more urgent issues such as the state of remote communities, health, education and youth in detention.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

So Dutton has announced that the Liberals won't support Albo's version of the voice.

Really disappointing. Yeah he had a majority of MP's against it (which is an issue in it's own right, the party badly needs an enema) so he had limited choices, but still.

I hope it still gets up.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
KenH

Post by KenH »

stui magpie wrote:So Dutton has announced that the Liberals won't support Albo's version of the voice.

Really disappointing. Yeah he had a majority of MP's against it (which is an issue in it's own right, the party badly needs an enema) so he had limited choices, but still.

I hope it still gets up.
Very disappointing I really can't see this getting up now it was always going to be hard but with the Libs on the No campaign I can't see how this gets through.
Cheers big ears
David

Post by David »

Some are of the view that Dutton and the Liberals are so on the nose right now that their opposition will help rather than hinder the "yes" case, which I think there's some sense to. I guess we'll see how it pans out.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:So Dutton has announced that the Liberals won't support Albo's version of the voice.

I hope it still gets up.
Me too, however I listened to his speech on it twice and he has so every valid points. It’s like having three parties having a say on decisions that one party didn’t get voted in For.

It needs rewording, because godknow people love to take advantage.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I think Albo is wedged on the wording after all the consultation with various Indigenous groups to finalise it.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

KenH wrote:

I hope it still gets up.
Very disappointing I really can't see this getting up now it was always going to be hard but with the Libs on the No campaign I can't see how this gets through.
It should get up in every State and Territory that matters. We can always donate QLD to Indonesia.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Donating QLD to Indonesia? :shock: That would work well- NOT. FNQ is a different state to southern QLD.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

stui magpie wrote:^

Donating QLD to Indonesia? :shock: That would work well- NOT. FNQ is a different state to southern QLD.
Given Christiansen’s many tax payer funded trips to Manila it migh have been a reference to the Phillipines
Last edited by watt price tully on Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

This is certainly an own goal by Dutton. If the Voice gets up the Libs and Dutton will be seen as out of touch and irrelevant.

If the vote loses Dutton and the Libs will be blamed.

He could have just had no position as it were and make it a conscience vote for all (shadow cabinet) and the rest.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David

Post by David »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Yes and no. Yes it's a loss for Albo if it doesn't get up, but Dutton doesn't exactly win very much. The people who already dislike him just have another reason but there will be a number of Liberal voters who agree with the Yes vote and won't be happy that he's been seen to have sabotaged it.

So if a "Win" means futher diluting an already diminishing support base, to basically keep faith with most of his MP's, then it's a win but not exactly a great one. He's getting some bad advice.
David

Post by David »

Will be interesting to see what effect this has. TBH I'd never heard of this guy until today, but considering his position this does seem like a big deal:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ice-stance
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Pretty classy from leeser and from Dutton.

The Libs backbench has a conscience vote, so he resigned from the front bench to vote yes and Dutton actually praised him. Alternate universe stuff.