The Carringbush Rumour File (JUST the rumour pls)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^ ^ ^
Caro reporting the richer clubs like Eagles, Tigers, Hawks, Pies etc are planning to ( or strongly considering ) pay the tax because their young players have had so little development over last two years, something has to be done to bring them up to speed.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Magpie Russ wrote:At the risk of repeating myself...

Went to a function earlier this year the Buckley was talking generally about connection with the new generation. That he had made real connections with the playing group particularly since 2017. The new generation required a new age approach however, he had only just, barely, made any sort of connection with Sier.

I have heard from a few that he is not lazy. That it has been the odd injury that has stalled his progress. Nevertheless - I agree if the lad has talent and it can be tapped into - then he is worth another year.

Equally - I'd like to see Cox work under McCrae. Who taught him the game. It would be interesting.
My issue with Sier is more related to team balance than anything else. If we’re going to go anywhere as a club, we can’t afford to have both Sier and Adams starting in the middle. The best teams have class and creativity starting in the middle, rather than a couple in / under players who just win it but do little damage with it.
We have “ creative “ midfielders in DeGoey, Pendles, McRae, 2 x Daicos and possibly Lipinski and our pig in Adams ( every team needs one but ideally, only one )
I’m just not sure we need Sier on the list going forward. We also have C Brown to play a similar role. I have no doubt there are clubs who are looking for Siers type ( albeit more committed ) so it’s also probably in his best interest to consider a move also.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

It would be great to see the unlikely off the list contract or no contract. These players simply aren't going to take us forward:

* Cox
* Thomas
* C Brown
* Madgen
* Sidebottom: harsh but honest
* Sier

All options to offload should be explored as we do a total "re-set".
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
RudeBoy
Been liked: 90 times

Post by RudeBoy »

inxs88 wrote:It would be great to see the unlikely off the list contract or no contract. These players simply aren't going to take us forward:

* Cox
* Thomas
* C Brown
* Madgen
* Sidebottom: harsh but honest
* Sier

All options to offload should be explored as we do a total "re-set".
Sidey still has one more year in him imo.

Madgen is needed - as a depth player, not as a best 22.
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Magpie Russ wrote:Truth is an absolute defense to defamation.
Define "truth" in the legal sense.
"In proceedings where the statements that are alleged to be defamatory are defended as ‘statements of fact’, an important question to ask is, ‘is what was published substantially true?’. However, this question is not as clear as one might think. When determining ‘truth’ the court is concerned not necessarily with the statement, but with the ‘imputation’ or ‘insinuation’ that the statement makes."

The statement is that Sier's career has been 'underwhelming'. The imputation of this statement, that a reasonable [supporter] could make, is that the Sier career has failed to impress, live up to expectations; disappointing.

The statement about Sier career might be accepted, but this does not prove that the imputation was correct. It would need to be shown that Sier's underwhelming career arose because Sier's lack of discipline; willingness to work hard, and not due to injury or poor coaching.

It is argued the imputation is substantially true, based, in part, on Sier's career thus far - games played; standings in the Best and Fairest; lack of interest in the trade period; trade value in relation to Pick 32 in the 2015 AFL Draft; playing 28 games over 5 years. This evidence, on the balance of probabilities, it is submitted proves the substantial truth of the imputation.

In the alternative we argue the defence of 'fair comment'. 'It is the right of every man to comment freely, fairly and honestly on any matter of public interest.' - Lord Birkett

This principle means that the common law defence of fair comment may apply where the defamatory words are an expression of opinion and not a statement of fact. :wink:
Last edited by Magpie Russ on Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Can people seriously not see the distinction between a statement of this kind -

"I was underwhelmed by [insert name of player]'s performance";

and a statement of this kind -

"Bloggs committed sexual assaults against 17 children"?

C'mon, folks - this isn't rocket surgery.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Damn shame, thought Bloggs would fit right into our forward line....
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Pies4shaw wrote: "Bloggs committed sexual assaults against 17 children"
I've just heard from Bloggs' attorney, and boy is he pissed at us.
We'd better lawyer-up ; shitz gonna get ugly... :P
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:Damn shame, thought Bloggs would fit right into our forward line....
After all, he knows how to get a touch!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

You blokes didn’t get enough of these jibes from oppo supporters over the last year or two?
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

piedys wrote:
Magpie Russ wrote:
inxs88 wrote: Defamation? An Alford plea your honour.
Truth is an absolute defense to defamation.
Look, just plead Insanity; it always works for me.
The gullible magistrates swallow that shit like candy...
:lol: :lol:
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pies4shaw wrote:Can people seriously not see the distinction between a statement of this kind -

When do rockets need surgery?
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:...

Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

^K
:lol: :lol:
Fair enough!
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:Can people seriously not see the distinction between a statement of this kind -

When they lose their spark and direction and just stare into space
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!