Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Culprit
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by Culprit »

Presti35 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:46 am Wonder is Southport captain and ruckman Brayden Crossley will get rookied somewhere?
He loves playing at Southport with his Mates and loves a beer or ten. I'd be surprised if he nominates.
Presti35
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Presti35 »

Whats the go with Deven Robertson? Knocked back a chance to get to WCE last year, now he cant get into the Lions team after playing in the GF last year. He made the VFL team of the year. Is he not up to AFL standard? Is he someone that will end up being traded cheaply?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

You'd say Noble will get his move to the Suns. We'll have to wait and see what happens with Joe.
But it's going to be a busy trade period for us.
If we get Perryman, Kennedy, and Lord, thats a big win. I am a bit cautious about dealing with Carlton though.

Sounds like we wont be dealing with Essendon at all. Hobbs talk has pretty much stopped and we've ruled out Stringer.
We may yet still be talking to GWS about Peatling, but that has gone a bit quiet too.
Some journos seem to think we're still in on Houston, but I cant see how it gets done.
Could Taranto be enticed to jump ship?
SLORT
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by SLORT »

Presti35 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:30 am If we get Perryman, Kennedy, and Lord, thats a big win.
Not seeing any replacement aerialist defenders in that bunch. And the way Swoop was talking it'd cost us a high draft pick for Lord. So, Lord instead of a Whitlock?
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

^ Still, those three inclusions are more than handy and help fill other needs on the list.

We'll have to wait and see if anything happens with Lord and what a trade could look like. But I wouldnt have thought it would be so high. Perhaps Joe will be a part of it? Let's see.

Is there an aerialist defender we've been linked to? Is this why we are bringing back Howe for another year?
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I think we can do without Lord next year if we can’t do a deal. If Elliott and Checkers retire next year, we’ll definitely need to look for a forward for 2026 and behind. So ideal if we can sign him now. Kennedy and Perryman will be good gets and boost our chance for a flag next year regardless if we get lord or not.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

^I actually think Mcdonald from Melbourne would be good for a year or two, though there were some rumours about his teammate Tomlinson (also over 30).
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

No interest in Tomlinson from me. I can see anything from his time at the Dees that says to me we should go for him. 31yo, injuries following him. Has got to be a better option out there. I'd pass on Tom McDonald too, he's already signed on for 2025 anyway.

After the GWS boys, I dont think there's much left in the FA/UFA market. 195cm defender Jake Kolodjashnij is 29, but still unsigned. Very doubtful he doesnt stay with the Cats tho.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

I'm personally wondering whether we can find / make a Jake Waterman of our own. At only 191cm he reminds me of the heyday of full-forwards (Ablett 185cm, Brereton 186cm, Dunstall 188cm, Lockett 191cm, Carey 192cm, Lloyd 192cm).
It's so weird to me the fixation now for the 196cm+ forwards who are ultra mobile and athletic. Seems that most of them end up breaking down regularly and hate body contact.

I really do miss the days of the shorter, burly full forward with good leading and chest marking ability and straight kicking. So funny that we now get excited about forwards that can barely average 2 goals a game.
Was watching highlights of a Vic vs SA game with Brereton, Dunstall, and Lockett. Those were the days...
Newelly
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

^
Frequently flooded forward lines has necessitated taller forwards with the negative effect of reduced goalkicking accuracy.

With taller players the ball has further to travel to foot once it leaves the hand and creates greater chance of a miskick. So I have been told.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
stui magpie
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Dunstall, Lockett and Lloyd relied on fast leading from the goal square in the days before there were 34 players in the forward 50 and key backs were the same height as them.

Carey was special and Ablett was a freak.

I'd prefer to have a 195-197cm FF who can lead the way they used to back in the day and fight like buggery at ground level than a 200+cm FF who just gets worked under the ball at contests by a smaller opponent. 197cm is the new 188cm.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by Pies2016 »

SLORT wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 6:27 pm I'm personally wondering whether we can find / make a Jake Waterman of our own. At only 191cm he reminds me of the heyday of full-forwards (Ablett 185cm, Brereton 186cm, Dunstall 188cm, Lockett 191cm, Carey 192cm, Lloyd 192cm). It's so weird to me the fixation now for the 196cm+ forwards who are ultra mobile and athletic. Seems that most of them end up breaking down regularly and hate body contact.
Anti density rules that were introduced into U18 competition a few years ago have had a big bearing on a young key forwards ability to stand up and win their position at the elite level. While these rules encourage the kids to learn winning one on one battles and showcase their skills in open space, the reality is AFL key forwards don’t usually get many of those one on one opportunities.
When the kids come up to the seniors, they don’t know what’s hit them ( literally ) when 100 kilo men surround them and then simply block them from competing. The young blokes have to be something very special to make it as a key forward these days and most generally spend a year or two being re trained to learn the position for the AFL.
You don’t need to be 200cm tall to hold down full forward but you really do need to know how to use your body to get in position to protect the ball drop ( which is why Armstrong is easily the best key forward in this draft ) Anything less and your time in the big league will be short lived.

Nate Caddy 194cm and Jed Walter 195 are very recent examples of key forwards who managed to break the mould and already look up to the level as 19 year olds. Both were top 10 picks.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Waterman has signed a 5 year deal to stay at WCE. Dees were the ones who made a play for him. They've missed out again.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Great - they'll probably spend the whole of 2025 with an 8 goal per game forward line, too.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Now that the Swans have imploded and been smashed in a second GF in 3 years, I’m guessing there could be a few regrets signing up everyone on big deals so early and there could be a few players wanting out.

Could Dean Cox could flip to the Weagles now? Does Longmire go early and leave Cox the reigns?

Could Chad Warner want out next year for Freo. We’ve heard rumours of Parker to the Roos. Is it Lloyd or Cunningham who’s an unsigned UFA?

Are there any other Swans players that we could target now this year or next to make us better?
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark