#11 Daniel McStay

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Damien wrote:Chris Mayne was under a fair bit and look what he did. Let’s not make the poor guy our whipping boy before he’s even pulled on a boot!
Mayne had a rough first year though if you remember.
McStay is going to be an asset, not sure how this is even an argument.
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

He only had a rough first year because he was being played out of position. When moved to the wing he was fine. Also best of all he proved to be a good finals performer. The comparison is valid. He copped shit from the supporters when he joined the club, just like Daniel McStay is being tarnished now before he's even played a game with us.
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:Deal is done, McStay is now a Collingwood player and therefore deserving of respect from Collingwood supporters.

Whether you agreed with bringing him in or not, it's done, so lets give him some clear air and time to see how it plays out during 2023 and beyond.
Like all other players, he'll get such respect as he earns.
You'll approach things as you do, I'll choose not to bag Collingwood players where possible.

to clarify, citicising aspects of a players game isn't bagging them if done appropriately, calling them a Spud or useless is in my view.

I was fairly uncomplimentary of the decision to get McStay, no argument. Now he's here, I'll shut up and wish him well. I don't want a gotcha moment to prove me right, I want him to prove me wrong.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Lol, the guy can easily hold his spot.
Do we want him to be a 100 goal a year FF ? Who is these days ?
Checkers, McStay, Kreuger Framton, Moore, Howe
We seem to be well set everywhere
IQ, Maynard, to Ginni, Bobby to Mr Creepy to Lippi, Joshi, Elliotti
Pendles, Sidey, Crispy
And Nobli and Adamsi Johnsi and Chartmichalie
Ohh Degoeyyy
LET NICK DAICOS LOOSE

GOOOOO PIIIIIEEEEEEES
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

stui magpie wrote: I was fairly uncomplimentary of the decision to get McStay, no argument. Now he's here, I'll shut up and wish him well. I don't want a gotcha moment to prove me right, I want him to prove me wrong.
I think you were well within your right to cite your disapproval of his recruitment. We don’t always have to agree with everything the club does. This is what leads to good debate. Loving the club we barrack for doesn’t mean we can’t have a go at them when it is deserved.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
RudeBoy
Been liked: 85 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:Deal is done, McStay is now a Collingwood player and therefore deserving of respect from Collingwood supporters.

Whether you agreed with bringing him in or not, it's done, so lets give him some clear air and time to see how it plays out during 2023 and beyond.
I think ALL our players should have our respect. Some are good, some not so, and some are great, but we supporters should support and encourage all of them. Constructive criticism is fair enough, but any player who dons the black and white deserves our respect. No ifs, no buts, no maybes.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Not that I overly rate David King but he put an interesting spin on the trade period. He said along the lines of draft picks being the only true currency during the trade and draft windows. You don’t see players traded for players anymore and virtually all trades are done with picks as the currency of choice.
The point being, anytime a “ trade “ is completed via free agency and no pick is traded back for that player, the destination club has automatically secured a big win. At market value, McStay is likely a mid / late twenties ( ? ) draft pick, so not handing that pick over, could yet be the difference between picking up another player we are looking to secure or not.
That outcome in itself inflates the players value and nearly all free agents come with the “ free agency tax “ added to their contract. So the good news is we still get to keep some of that currency that makes the trade period go round.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Tend to disagree that all players who don the black and white jumper deserve our respect RB. I will never ever respect that bag of vomit John Burke who kicked an umpire while wearing the black and white. He was an arsewipe.
Others like Mal Michael who pretended to “retire” and then mysteriously became available to play with Essenscum are also hard to respect.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
blybo

Post by blybo »

Pies4shaw wrote:

Should it not be the other way around? Give the guy some respect. You can cry all you want if he doesn't deliver, but let the guy play a few games in our structure and game style before judging him.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Pies2016 wrote:Not that I overly rate David King but he put an interesting spin on the trade period. He said along the lines of draft picks being the only true currency during the trade and draft windows. You don’t see players traded for players anymore and virtually all trades are done with picks as the currency of choice.
The point being, anytime a “ trade “ is completed via free agency and no pick is traded back for that player, the destination club has automatically secured a big win. At market value, McStay is likely a mid / late twenties ( ? ) draft pick, so not handing that pick over, could yet be the difference between picking up another player we are looking to secure or not.
That outcome in itself inflates the players value and nearly all free agents come with the “ free agency tax “ added to their contract. So the good news is we still get to keep some of that currency that makes the trade period go round.
Agree entirely with this, although I think he is more like a late teens pick in the draft, most Clubs would give their left nut to have a player with his record, and we are getting him at the peak age, for nothing but a fair wage.

There are some disgraceful comments on this thread, for shame!
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Like Damien said this place was ready to implode after Maynes first season, then he turned it around.

Let’s see how McStay goes before we make judgements.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Johnno75 wrote:Like Damien said this place was ready to implode after Maynes first season, then he turned it around.

Let’s see how McStay goes before we make judgements.
Spot On - Give him a Chance at least
I am Da Man
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Lol. You tell ‘em Dave! You’re always so supportive of the players
Beware the swooping Magpie.
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Dave is far from the worst in the game day thread, many of the posters in there should take a good hard look in the mirror while practicing giving themselves uppercuts.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

stui magpie wrote:Dave is far from the worst in the game day thread, many of the posters in there should take a good hard look in the mirror while practicing giving themselves uppercuts.
Oh I do.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.