Pre-Grand Final. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Woods

Post by Woods »

^ Yep, Good work. What he said.

Floreat pica
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Nice work LH

But out lipinski in noble and ginny elevated onto the INT

The rest is fine

Have a good feeling

Go pies
eddiesmith
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Great write up LH, it’s absolutely ridiculous though they’ve played 15 games in 9 seasons, although 1.5 were Covid interrupted, and 2 of those were finals. So they’ve only been fixtured to play at the MCG 13 times in 9 seasons.

In the same period they’ve played 27 games at Docklands.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Hiss wrote:I am starting a celebration drink tomorrow. It’s ours in 2023. Magpies fans should now join me in a celebratory toast to our awesome Victory. Flagpies. Floreat Pica
This is far far to positive Hiss. Get your head in the game!
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Just don’t let them exit through the front of the stoppages. You need those extra couple seconds to set the defence up against their damaging forwards. Make them go backwards before they go forward. Get that right, add some manic pressure and any sort of lead at half time and we set this win up.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I don't see the issue with Lipinski as sub at all if it came to be.

His one wood is his tank and two way running. His 1 iron is his lack of pace and at times questionable attack at the ball this year.

By bringing him on when tired legs are starting to become a factor it not only brings the speed of the game closer to his level his running capacity becomes an even greater weapon.

The other hopeful consequence of this is that he isn't as rushed later in the game and his ability to be clean and hit targets inside 50 by foot can meet the expectations we have of him in this area.

Ginni has looked lively when he has come on, he's someone who doesn't shy away from the attention, he's won an Anzac medal so can perform on a big stage and in kicking 40 goals last year showed he can impact from the 1st quarter onwards.

He's slow by foot but quick of mind up forward, we need to find more reliable avenues to goal but Ginni needs more than 1 quarter to try and be one of those. Our lack of front and centre options has been a bugbear of mine and if we want players like Frampton to just compete on Saturday and bring the ball to ground then Ginni is arguably our best chance of being in the right spot at the right time.

60pts won't cut it this week IMO, we'll need to find another 3 or 4 goals to give ourselves a chance and of those outside our Preliminary final 22 Ginni is the most credentialed to come in and contribute on the scoreboard.

Some people were open to the crazy risk of selecting Kreuger.

It's far less of a risk swapping out Lipinski for Ginnivan and Ginni is by far the most notable goal kicker of the 3 at AFL level.

It's a move that wont cost us the game but it damn well could help win it.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Some interesting reading here
I’ve watched our past 2 games against them and yes we weren’t at full strength in either but they hurt us the same way each time

Here’s the plan to stop them

Cameron. He has kicked 6-4-1-6 in his past 4 games against us. Reason being we are an aggressive defence we attack the contest and press high up the ground. IQ has been burnt this way. Cameron loves to sit just off his opponent and when his opponent commits to it he turns and gets goal side of him. IQ must never leave Cameron’s side. Play him as a hard tag never let him goal side.

Neale. Is their most important mid. He get loads of it but when he’s not he’s he’s taking his man away from the contest so it doesn’t hurt them. They always sit 1 player off the contest to get that quick exit and start a chain. We must play hard on Neale at all contests. Not 1 player but rotate a few through him. We must play man in man at all contests and not overcommit players to contests.

Coleman. Has been sensational for them and his field kicking is sublime. He needs to be made accountable. He leaves his man open loads because there other defenders play zone defence and Andrews covers 2 players most the time. Hill and McCreery must run with Coleman all day and make hi pm follow them. I would force andrews to follow Cox or Frampton up towards the 50m arc and get hill or McCreery to play FF role. Their pace will force lions to cover them with pace.

McCluggage and Berry last time tore us apart. Sidey plays as a defensive wing and they play offensive football and run off him all night. The minute the lions got the ball they were off snd running. We can’t be burned by what we know they want to do. Sidey or WHE who will rotate kn that wing need to become equally offensive weapons

Lastly Big O needs to be worked over. He loves space to jump and run at it. Hit him hard and often at the ball ups. He’s vital to giving them first look at it. Cox should be as physical as possible but also when the ball goes inside our attacking 50 get Frampton’s big body to smash into him.

We will need to bring high octane pressure across 4 quarters. They like playing bruise free football. Even Carlton shows how they go when they’re attacked physically.
If we can do all the above we win and win easy

Pies by 18
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

Lions love bruise free and tackle free footy.
Put the pressure on them in the heat on Saturday and we will smash them to bits. I think we bat a lot deeper in the midfield, so the mids need to keep the pressure on and rotate to stay fresh.

I believe our forwards can kick enough from our opportunities and allow us to defend a lead.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 85 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm with Laurie. A great analysis mate.

Pies by 3 goals.
Son of the Boonman

Post by Son of the Boonman »

I am nervous purely because I have worshiped the Pies for over 60 years and have experienced multiple Grand Final failures

So much relies on luck with injuries, player decision-making, umpiring decisions, and the mental toughness of players

Realistically, we have the MCG advantage, excellent coaches, have been the best team all year, have the luxury of a player the quality of Ginnivan as the potential Sub and the vocal support of the Magpie Army

If Lipinski plays bruise-free footy then I will be surprised- I suspect that he will win heaps of possession and use the ball well. His pride has been challenged.

I predict that Naicos will win the Normie and that Elliott will kick at least three goals. I also predict that by the end of the game, that I will be a little intoxicated, my voice will be gravelly and that my heart-rate monitor will be screaming it’s arse off

Go Pies
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Laurie, what a beaudiful writeup.

To be pedantic, I would make one modification by starting Sidey on the ground, he is a bit of a minesweeper early.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

We'll double their score. Big Coxy will kick 7.

Actually thats too positive!
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Son of the Boonman

Post by Son of the Boonman »

Lipinski just named as sub

Who starts? Ginny or Noble?
MagpiesTheGreat

Post by MagpiesTheGreat »

6:20 PM today: the full team will be announced.

2 more sleeps.
think better
Been liked: 29 times

Post by think better »

Ginivan in and Lippa sub apparently
I think therefore I think - I think