Indigenous Voice to Parliament

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 239 times

Post by Jezza »

think positive wrote:For (mates with) sake how hard is it to print 2 boxes.
That's the ideal scenario, but the AEC is only following what it's done with previous referendums.

Just write 'Yes' or 'No' (no quotation marks ;)) in the box prescribed and you shouldn't encounter any issue.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Jezza
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 239 times

Post by Jezza »

Latest Essential poll published today in The Guardian.

NATIONAL = Yes 42, No 48, Undecided 10

STATE
[*] NSW = Yes 45, No 44, Undecided 10
[*] VIC = Yes 43, No 44, Undecided 12
[*] QLD = Yes 35, No 58, Undecided 8
[*] WA = Yes 34, No 58, Undecided 8
[*] SA = Yes 37, No 45, Undecided 17
[*] TAS = No poll

https://essentialreport.com.au/reports/ ... ember-2023

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... poll-finds
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
slangman
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by slangman »

I have just come back from a trip to Cape York and I am not surprised to see that the states with bigger indigenous populations and remote communities in QLD & WA are most opposed to the voice.
I met a young aboriginal man at a campsite who is from Weipa and the stories that he was telling me were both horrific and sad.
They confirmed to me that the voice would predominantly benefit the political and social elite first and foremost. Anyone who thinks that it will be the beginning of change to rural communities is delusional and is living in a fairy world.
Phil Egan types will be “the voice” to politicians and business leaders. Dodgy self serving “experts” who will fleece the system as they always have before.
Well known and famous indigenous people don’t require a voice to make real change as the money is already available. It’s the downright hard and gritty work that all the elites are not willing to contribute to and that’s the expectation that society should begin to demand of them if anything is ever going to change.
- Side By Side -
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

my reasoning in a nutshell, as this is what I have been reading from various indigenous people. I figure they are the people to listen too. my decision is not based on facebook troll posts.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
eddiesmith
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

It’s why they launched in SA, it was seen as needing SA and Tassie to win it. Although that poll has Victoria as a 50/50 and the Yes campaign has Victoria and NSW as guarantee Yes votes.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

slangman wrote:I have just come back from a trip to Cape York and I am not surprised to see that the states with bigger indigenous populations and remote communities in QLD & WA are most opposed to the voice.
I met a young aboriginal man at a campsite who is from Weipa and the stories that he was telling me were both horrific and sad.
They confirmed to me that the voice would predominantly benefit the political and social elite first and foremost. Anyone who thinks that it will be the beginning of change to rural communities is delusional and is living in a fairy world.
Phil Egan types will be “the voice” to politicians and business leaders. Dodgy self serving “experts” who will fleece the system as they always have before.
Well known and famous indigenous people don’t require a voice to make real change as the money is already available. It’s the downright hard and gritty work that all the elites are not willing to contribute to and that’s the expectation that society should begin to demand of them if anything is ever going to change.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I often hear this kind of thing without explanation or confirmatory data. How do you know what the opinion of these larger communities is? Is there credible survey data?

Also, can you better define and enumerate this 'political and social elite' and group of 'dodgy self-serving experts', or are you just guessing? Who are they, and are they really 'elite' in the generally accepted definition of the term?
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

think positive wrote:my reasoning in a nutshell, as this is what I have been reading from various indigenous people. I figure they are the people to listen too. my decision is not based on facebook troll posts.
So you choose to listen to the small minority of indigenous people against the voice rather than the majority that are pro voice?
kill for collingwood!
KenH

Post by KenH »

roar wrote:
think positive wrote:my reasoning in a nutshell, as this is what I have been reading from various indigenous people. I figure they are the people to listen too. my decision is not based on facebook troll posts.
So you choose to listen to the small minority of indigenous people against the voice rather than the majority that are pro voice?
This does seem to be the way a lot of no voters can justify voting no. Not all of course but it is an easy way. I am disappointed because I can't see the Yes vote getting up and this will cause a more of a divide in our community. This has been poorly done and there won't be another opportunity to do this.
Cheers big ears
eddiesmith

Post by eddiesmith »

Which will be squarely blamed on the No campaign, instead of where it belongs and that is the pathetic performance of the Prime Minister.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

If the No campaign get what they're fighting for, they have to own it. No use pointing the finger at the other side.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
eddiesmith

Post by eddiesmith »

If the No campaign succeed then the Yes campaign has failed and given the huge drop off in support it’s a massive failure.

The opposition will definitely treat it as a victory, my point is it shouldn’t absolve Albo of blame for completely bottling what he thought was a slam dunk. But people will just blame the No campaign for winning instead of the yes campaign for losing.
think positive

Post by think positive »

KenH wrote:
roar wrote:
This does seem to be the way a lot of no voters can justify voting no. Not all of course but it is an easy way. I am disappointed because I can't see the Yes vote getting up and this will cause a more of a divide in our community. This has been poorly done and there won't be another opportunity to do this.
Mate, I can honestly say I have looked for neither!

Originally I thought it was a great thing, then I did a little reading, and yes, listened to the squeaky wheels. I haven’t, from memory, seen a post with an indigenous person saying vote yes! No I haven’t looked for one, nor will I. I have no faith in politics or politicians at the best of times.any of them. It’s all about power,

Clearly this has been horribly miss handled, deliberately or otherwise. There are questions that need answers, it’s a bumbling mess. That’s not on me, and quite frankly I don’t care enough to go find the answers myself. The answers should be there, in big letters for every one to see.

They are not.

I’m wontbe voting yes on a maybe or any one else’s say so. Especially no one here. The yes voters, aside from Stui, (which still surprises me) are about as logical and helpful as an armpit full of trump supporters!

My vote is a vote of no confidence.
think positive

Post by think positive »

eddiesmith wrote:If the No campaign succeed then the Yes campaign has failed and given the huge drop off in support it’s a massive failure.

The opposition will definitely treat it as a victory, my point is it shouldn’t absolve Albo of blame for completely bottling what he thought was a slam dunk. But people will just blame the No campaign for winning instead of the yes campaign for losing.
correct
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote:
KenH wrote:
roar wrote: So you choose to listen to the small minority of indigenous people against the voice rather than the majority that are pro voice?
Mate, I can honestly say I have looked for neither!

Originally I thought it was a great thing, then I did a little reading, and yes, listened to the squeaky wheels. I haven’t, from memory, seen a post with an indigenous person saying vote yes! No I haven’t looked for one, nor will I. I have no faith in politics or politicians at the best of times.any of them. It’s all about power,

Clearly this has been horribly miss handled, deliberately or otherwise. There are questions that need answers, it’s a bumbling mess. That’s not on me, and quite frankly I don’t care enough to go find the answers myself. The answers should be there, in big letters for every one to see.

They are not.

I’m wontbe voting yes on a maybe or any one else’s say so. Especially no one here. The yes voters, aside from Stui, (which still surprises me) are about as logical and helpful as an armpit full of trump supporters!

My vote is a vote of no confidence.
:lol:

By virtue of the kind of roles I've done and places i've worked over decades, I'm quite familiar with how advisory or consultative committes work. I'm voting yes because I think the potential to do good is far greater than the potential to do harm.

I have zero confidence that Albo and co won't futterly uck up the implementation but, if it's in the constitution they can't just abandon it, they have to keep working on it until they get it right. Even getting it half right has the potential to be better than what we currently have and provide better outcomes for those who need it most. If it means that a few Indigenous rent seekers get a paid gig out of it, as long as the disadvanted get better outcomes, I can live with that.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.