Trade Winds: Dan Houston

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

SLORT
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by SLORT »

LaurieHolden wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:48 am According to Gettable, we're still up to our guts in Houston.
Sounds a bit...icky.

As to trading out Joe Richards, Noble, #33, and next year's first for a half back flanker...yeah nah.
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

LaurieHolden wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:48 am Richards to Port for pick#37
Noble to Suns with pick #37 (received from Port) for their pick #12.
Future 1st & pick#33 to Port for Houston. (If it was this year, it would be 1395+563 = equivalent 1958 points = top 10 points value)
Leaving us with Houston and Pick #12 (1268 points) for the draft.
I like the scenario...

Port:
In: Lukosius + Richards + CFC Future 1st + Pick #33
Out: Pick #37 + Houston

CFC:
In: Houston + Pick #12
Out: Noble + Richard + Pick #33 + Future 1st

GC:
In: Port's Pick #? + Noble + Pick #37
Out: Lukosius + Pick #12

Have I got that right?

Who wins this deal? I think GC needs a sweetener.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

^^ 🚀 Houston, do we have a lift-off?
The three-club trade that could unlock Houston's move to Victoria. By Martin Smith

AFL.com.au's trade and draft expert Cal Twomey says the Dockers' pursuit of
  • Liam Baker and Shai Bolton this year and
  • Chad Warner in 2025
are all factors in a possible three-way deal that could see Houston land at Arden St.
However note, Magpies are still in the mix with a trade involving John Noble...
It would be a small step for Houston but a giant step for Collingwood :>)

Chase for Dan Houston, including how the Magpies, Bulldogs and Blues could get the deal done
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1223163/the ... o-victoria

Gettable:
https://www.afl.com.au/video/1223078/ge ... 6619191001
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 182 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Magpie Russ wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:56 pm Have I got that right?
Who wins this deal? I think GC needs a sweetener.
@Magpie Russ Maybe Suns only table pick #20, then it gets complicated. They could sweeten it with some late picks however they need to protect their points bank required for any external GCS academy pick bids.
Gold Coast picks 6, 12, 20, 26, 35, 46, 71, 80 total 5542
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by piffdog »

I like the scenario - if we could end up with Houston AND pick 12 this year, losing Noble, Richards and our future first then (I think taken in the context of getting a FS next year etc) that would be a good deal IMO.

It’s invariably a 100:1 shot to happen just like that, but we should be chuffed if it does.

Add a free agent and away we go! Honouring an all-in tilt in 2025 but also chipping away at the medium term too.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

@piffdog 100/1 you're being generous... while I don't think I've given unders of sorts to anyone in that scenario, the likelihood of this playing out is remote at best.
Surely someone trumps a bid for Houston.
All depends how good our pitch is to Houston to ensure we get all parties onto the conference call. Surely, he knows how toxic the Blouse will be next year after they get bundled out of the finals once again...and who's going to St.Kilda?!
2023 AFL Premiers
SLORT
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by SLORT »

Shouldn't we instead be getting some draft capital ready for the following year as this will be when we have a cash windfall from our veterans retiring? Landing a big fish (or two) in areas we are showing a deficiency seems to me a better option than aiming for an outside defensive flanker. I mean would you prefer Chad Warner or Houston?

I'd rather see Parker and TJ (or even Ryan or Demattia) being given game time in our defensive half than bringing in Houston. I mean out of our current 4 medium starting defenders who does he replace? IQ, Maynard, Crisp, Howe / Pendlebury? Yeah, I just don't see the need.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

^You don't pass on dual AA defenders on hope. Create certainty.
2023 AFL Premiers
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

SLORT wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:55 pm I mean out of our current 4 medium starting defenders who does he replace? IQ, Maynard, Crisp, Howe / Pendlebury? Yeah, I just don't see the need.
I agree with all you said, I think we can live without him.

But I am always wary of the logic, which reminds me of 'But we have Richardson, we don't need Lockett'. lol
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

SLORT wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:55 pmI mean out of our current 4 medium starting defenders who does he replace? IQ, Maynard, Crisp, Howe / Pendlebury? Yeah, I just don't see the need.
He perhaps releases IQ to the wing.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by piffdog »

^not sure I saw any evidence of IQ being a winger after a couple trials in that position during the year.

The challenge with "getting some draft capital ready for the following year" is that we will most likely be taking McGuane. If we happen to be sitting on a pick #10, that will probably go towards getting him to the club. I dont see that we can focus on retaining top picks for next year when rival clubs will be able to bid him early and force our hand. To my knowledge, if we held something like #10, #20, #35, #50 and he gets bid at #10 - we cant say "we'll have him, but here take our pick #20 and #35 to match the points..." We would have to use our pick #10. We could of course have traded away pick #10 in a deal beforehand I suppose.

I would rather have Houston now than draft a lanky KPF who takes 5 years to get a regular game. Look at Charlie Curnow - drafted in 2016 and did stuff all until 2022. As for Houston, he takes the role that Noble will be vacating (remember Noble played 20 games in 2024). Houston can play smaller in 2025, and then come 2026, he is the obvious replacement for Howe. Secondly, any structure that gives Crisp more time in the midfield would be valuable. Lastly, if you and I are watching the same game, half back flank distributors are just about the most dangerous players in the game. How about Nick in 2022? How about Nick Blakey? How about Dane Zorko this year?? I think this is a rols y ou should absolutely invest in.

Its funny how people want to go to the draft "for the future"... Well you know when we draft 25-27 year old players they will contribute to our future as well right?? Guys like Houston, McStay and Schultz for example will have a guaranteed contribution for 5 years, starting immediately.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Piesnchess
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Piesnchess »

HOUSTEN....... do we still have a problem ????
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

The C7 news tonight had us pulling out of the Houston race. Does that mean Richards is staying, are we going for Lord instead, or is it just wrong.

Perryman hasn’t nominated a club yet, unlike Cumming. Still a chance he stays at GWS although SEN and Fox Sports reported him telling people he was going to the pies across the GF weekend. If he stays is that why Peatling is now touring other clubs too or was Peatling just trying to pep up his mate Cumming to stay at GWS too.

Can’t wait for Friday FA day either although will the pies want to announce before the Copeland
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Presti35
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 119 times

Re: Trade Winds: Harry Perryman

Post by Presti35 »

^ all good things.

If Houston was never going to be a Pie, then it's better he stays at Port than gets to Carlton. If he got to North, that wouldnt be a bad thing either as it weakens Port, doenst help Carlton, and North will be better but still no top 4 threat.

Trading Noble seems likely. Very sad he has missed out on a flag, as I believe he is one of the biggest MSD success stories. He provided us with a few highlights and over 100 games and it would have been really nice to see him win a flag with us, but we move on and get the best deal.

Peatling would be a great inclusion too. And funnily enough, also a MSD recruit. I dont think he's really blown a game apart or anything, but he is in GWS' best 22, and with Perryman, that really weakens the Giants. He loves a run down tackle and is strong. I believe he will suit Flys pressure game.

Kennedy would then be another good inclusion, taking pressure off some of the older guys and making us younger in the middle.

Getting players that are considered in another teams best 22 can only be a good thing. But lot's to play out of course.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Boot
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Boot »

I still have fantasies that Collingwood could net Dan Houston from Port Adelaide by incorporating a trade of Joe Richards and whatever draft pick we receive for John Noble. Maybe also some use of our future first round draft pick with other picks coming back to Collingwood to ensure that Tom McQuane and any other rated NGA prospects are able to be drafted next year. The problem is does Collingwood have enough salary cap room to fit Dan Houston, Harry Perryman and Matthew Kennedy into the team. That is probably why there is no word on the futures of McInnes, Krueger and Macrae yet?
I really rate Houston and his inclusion to the squad would be a huge boost to the team capability. I have to say that
I don't rate Perryman and Kennedy that much so I think they are simply adding to the B grade list of players at the club at best.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!