Nathan Buckley

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:The horns were clearly on Bucks, even after losing a GF by a point. As if making the GF was in spite of him.

If he was still here, he would be knifed for hiring his mate Leppitch, Insider Fraser etc. For playing Lipinski when out of form, and for sure, not playing the youngsters though the year., and the million other things.

Steele did the inspirational in the last.. It was the other way against WC.

Just wishing to say we should remove the horns. He deserves a Halo.
Agreed. I thought some overt acknowledgement of his role in developing many of the players who finally took us to the ultimate might have been given by the club yesterday.
jonmac1954
Been liked: 19 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:The horns were clearly on Bucks, even after losing a GF by a point. As if making the GF was in spite of him.

If he was still here, he would be knifed for hiring his mate Leppitch, Insider Fraser etc. For playing Lipinski when out of form, and for sure, not playing the youngsters though the year., and the million other things.

Steele did the inspirational in the last.. It was the other way against WC.

Just wishing to say we should remove the horns. He deserves a Halo.
Some people will never relent but those inside the club know what's what.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

There’s other context why players were unhappy with footy in 2019-2020. Losing the 2018 GF obviously. But the covid hubs and the racism review played a huge part.
bucking awesome
Been liked: 1 time

Post by bucking awesome »

The Pies would not have won this years premiership if Buckley was coach. That doesnt mean he was a bad coach. Sometime change is needed regardless. McRae specifically mentioned the work put in by others before his time to get the team to where they are.

Buckley will forever be a giant of our club and has had indirect involvement in both the 2010 and 2023 premierships.

His time had come but we should be grateful it happened
Painful frustrating disappointing exhilarating and unbelievably awesome. - That's a Collingwood life through and through
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Yep even Bucks knew his time was up, said he’d taken the club as far as he could go. He did the right thing for the club and it paid off in the best way possible.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 25 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

synergy between bucks handing up the coaching gig and Pendles handing up the captaincy.

I believe as great of a leader Pendles is...the captaincy is a lot of work off and on the field and him only needing to worry about team mates and onfield duties i believe made him even better this year.
Culprit
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Culprit »

The way Bucks spoke this morning was open and honest and he's part of the family. He was a kick away from immortality. He's a Collingwood legend and he has been on the ride as well.
jonmac1954
Been liked: 19 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

One of the giants would throw himself off a skyscraper for the Pies.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

Culprit wrote:The way Bucks spoke this morning was open and honest and he's part of the family. He was a kick away from immortality. He's a Collingwood legend and he has been on the ride as well.
Yeah, that full interview on SEN which came out this morning was what I was looking for. He spoke honestly and generously, as ever.

There is no doubt that McRae benefited hugely from what he learned at Richmond, and that, plus the addition of a generational talent in Nick D, pushed us over the top from 2018/19 to now.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

^An intelligent game plan certainly helped too.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Here's the SEN interview. Great thoughts from Bucks...

Nathan Buckley and Tom Morris break down every aspect of the Grand Final and give their key takeaways, all on SEN!

0:00 Bucks' Grand Final takeaways
12:40 Norm Smith voting
14:18 Buckley's experience
16:6 Brisbane's premiership window
19:20 Buckley's decision to move on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2LYvsDpCgU
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

I love that he is still a Collingwood person. Our previous 2 premiership coaches quickly moved on after their time at Collingwood was done.

Maybe I’m naive but I don’t think he’ll ever coach again. And I think he may return to the club in some capacity down the track.

He is a classy individual.
Presti35
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Presti35 »

Dont forget Fly spent 5 years under Bucks before moving to Richmond.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
RockabyDaisy

Post by RockabyDaisy »

Today I listened, watched and read all of Buck's reflections and analysis of the game and how he felt.

He is very much a Collingwood Supporter with an incredible legendary connection to the club that few dream about.

The fact he said there was things coming out of him during the game he didn't know he was capable of shows how much he was barracking so damn hard for us to win.

The way Buckley holds himself now shows how much he loves the club.
Look at our 2 previous Premiership coaches. They really don't associate with us.

Buckley did the right thing in 2021 to step away in the way he did and the rest is history.

He deserves a lot of credit that many just don't see.
Collingwood FOREVER.
There is more to Football than life.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

jonmac1954 wrote:I really think it's time to stop the hand wringing over Bucks whatever end of the opinion spectrum you hold.
One of our greatest ever players and come within 1 kick and one extremely dubious umpiring decision of being a flag winning coach.
Nothing more needs to be said really.

Very true, Bucks was basically robbed of a Premiership by an extremely slack umpiring non decision, with just minutes left. Jono Brown said it best today, he said Bucks fingerprints were all over this team, his DNA, cos he brought in then kids like IQ, Murphy, McCreery, Josh, and others, he blooded them first in the big time. He won his last match, with these kids, against the eventual premiers, Melbourne. I am not saying he set this team up, but according to Jonathan Brown, he had a decent hand in it. Let us welcome back Bucks, an all time Magpie legend. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.