Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpie Russ
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by Magpie Russ »

The total player payments will jump from $15.79m in 2024, rising to $17.76m in 2025, $18.29m in 2026 and $18.44m in 2027.
Just off the top my head 8) that is a 16.8% increase.

So without have scaling Perryman's salary as the cap increases... if we pay him $850k that is the equivalent of approximately $700K.
Jen2310
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Jen2310 »

Per HS:

Collingwood is asking for a first-rounder for half back John Noble but will have to be satisfied with pick 20, which will filter back a handful of spots after NGA and father-son bids.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 752e147f22
Presti35
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Presti35 »

^ possibly an upgrade of picks later on could help?

Pick 20 puts us in the ballgame for Whitlock #1, so I'm happy with that.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

As elated as I am in Fly's media re Stringer and going after Perryman, I'm a bit deflated by Fly's player over draft media today as per the excerpt below from SEN. He's just said he doesn't rate this year's super draft and probably doesn't rate DeMattia and Jiath from his first real draft in 2023. Partly explains why we held so many spots for the SSP also as Fly wanted eyes on the maybes first.

I reckon Fly has some learning to do here about people management because he's just shot down a whole bunch of people. This also explains some of the malaise in giving players like Fin Macrae and McInnes more game time. Fly doesn't rate them and may not be so interested in developing them.

I wouldn't want to be one of the 2 or 3 draft picks the Pies have to take this year either because Fly has just said he doesn't rate them either.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/09/25/ ... ist-build/

McRae says that he’s a coach that wants to bring players in over draft picks and he thinks that Perryman can make the Magpies better if he chooses to play for the club in 2025 and beyond.
“That's true, I'm a coach that wants to bring players in,” McRae told SEN The Run Home.
“I said that at the end of the season and it's hard such a hard market fishing from the same pond, but I don't want picks.
“I say to the list mismanagement, ‘I don't want picks, I want players, let's bring players in and make us better, not just any player, but players that are going to make us better’.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by piffdog »

^not sure we listened to the same interview. Given our first pick in the 30's you didnt expect him to come out and say how amazing this year's draft will be and that he wished we didnt swap our first rounder did you? I guess you can also hear what you want to hear.

I'd be happy if you can quote the part where he "doesnt rate Jiath and DeMattia", "doesnt rate this year's super draft" and "shot down a whole bunch of people"...

The philosophy is all about not bottoming out just so you can get the top picks in the draft. You also forget this guy spent a whole bunch of his coaching career as a development coach. I would also think that evidence so far is that drafting "players" is working pretty well.

I'm sure our existing young picks and potential picks this year will have plenty of time to speak to the coach about what he really thinks and be pumped to play for us.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^he didn't say he didn't rate it. Simply stated his own philosophy to list building.
He knows as well as anyone we don't have the organic picks.
Flys clearly about creating certainty as opposed to speculative picks via the draft.

"comes from a standpoint of continuously wanting to improve instead of falling down the ladder to collect picks and build from the ground up."

I guess it'll only work though if indeed we attract the likes of Perryman and others to shore up the list.
Melbourne are in a similar place at the moment.
I'm also not convinced supporters have patience for any multi-year period at the low end of the ladder.

We'll see in a few years if this approach indeed works, and once the legacy group of now veteran players he inherited are no longer on the list.
I'm remain forever thankful we've had multiple F/S's!!
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Culprit
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Culprit »

It's interesting how different people take different things away, it's glass half-full v glass half-empty. List management is important and this is why good list managers cost a lot of money.
Perryman is a Now player, DeMattia is a Future player and that is how I perceive Fly's comments.
We need to get better now and it's about balancing the list from 19-24-year-olds, 25 -30-year-olds, and 30+ Quality players on their way to retirement. At the moment I feel the list is to Old heavy and it's not an issue as they can play and in saying that they are all one injury away from retiring. We bring in players to fill a role and hope we find one that brings more than that.
At the moment we are playing poker in the draft with a pair of 5's, and that needs to change dramatically if we wish to grab quality. Outside the draft, it's the Free Agents we target.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^ yep different people different perspectives. No Fly didn’t say those things, it’s my perception based on what’s written. You can have your own. I haven’t seen the interview so unsure if he’s misquoted. Don’t forget we created the draft situation by trading Schultz.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

Demattia is a big beau, cant wait to see him in action
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Newelly
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:30 am ^ yep different people different perspectives. No Fly didn’t say those things, it’s my perception based on what’s written. You can have your own. I haven’t seen the interview so unsure if he’s misquoted. Don’t forget we created the draft situation by trading Schultz.

And Fly and the team had just won a flag and realistically expected they could challenge again in 2024 by adding some ready made players.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

“I say to the list mismanagement, ‘I don't want picks, I want players, let's bring players in and make us better, not just any player, but players that are going to make us better’.

Sullivan, Kreuger, Bytel say Hello

A few others worked out ok.

BTW, I like draft picks as much as anyone, but how about this ?
#17 Oliver Henry
#19 Finlay Macrae
#23 Reef McInnes
#30 Caleb Poulter
#31 Liam McMahon
#44 Beau McCreery

Rookies:
Jack Ginnivan, Isaac Chugg

In this instance, the picks could have been put to better use IMO... Fly may have a point.
Presti35
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Presti35 »

^very telling.

We had high hopes for Henry, Fin, and Reef. At least Beau has become a great player though. Henry would be one of our main forwards had he not wanted out. Fin and Reef have not made the most of their opportunities yet.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Having recently read Flys comments about not bottoming out, what we do with our eventual first pick in this draft ( however that looks - 12 or 20 possibly ) is going to be the centrepiece of our off season list activity.
It seems there is a decent chance the club could yet trade it out for a ready made quality player rather than take an early pick to draft night.
Point being, if we were to trade it out for a player, I’d suggest it could easily be for a player we haven’t even been linked with yet.
Houston would involve our first rounder but no other names mentioned ( who haven’t already committed elsewhere ) to date, have really warranted a straight swap for a first rounder in the teens. Given Ports current horrible draft hand ( albeit Houston leaving would ease that ) it could yet be that Lord and a second rounder ( or whatever ) are traded out in return for one of those above early picks.

I've said if all along, the Noble trade will put us back in the game … one way or the other.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
stui magpie
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

The way I read Fly's comments about players over picks is simply that he wants to bring in players every year who will make the team better immediately, not in 3 years time.

Not many kids play break into the seniors and make their team better in the first season after being drafted. Naicos, Scheezle and Harley Reid would be 3 notable exceptions. Even if the kid is exceptional it usually takes 2-3 pre seasons for them to harden the body and build the tank. Trading for a physically mature body with exposed form against adults who fills a need is becoming more common for the non-stars.

It's a counter intuitive philosophy in some ways, but you look at the teams who spent years at the bottom getting high draft picks and making no progress against the teams that top up with mature bodies who fit a need and the latter seems more successful.

The only way you get a top 3 pick is to either bottom out (which we don't want to do). trade for it (which is hard without losing quality players) or get Father son selections.

Fly's philosophy will either work, or bugger us for years. I hope it's the former.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Charlie Oneeye wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:58 pm
BTW, I like draft picks as much as anyone, but how about this ?
#17 Oliver Henry
#19 Finlay Macrae
#23 Reef McInnes
#30 Caleb Poulter
#31 Liam McMahon
#44 Beau McCreery

Rookies:
Jack Ginnivan, Isaac Chugg

In this instance, the picks could have been put to better use IMO... Fly may have a point.
Supporters following draft outcomes need to remind themselves there was no U18 footy played in Vic in 2020. It wasn't easy for recruiters to correctly identify elite talent when the Vic kids didn’t play competitive footy for a season.
A quick look at that draft in its entirety will remind anyone that draft was a poor return for most clubs. Our recruiters still picked Henry and Ginnivan in that year, so it’s hardly their fault that neither are still at the club.

Either trading for the now or drafting for the future could both be considered reasonable strategies in this upcoming off season.
Having said that, it seems Collingwood has already declared their hand for 2025, so it won’t be too long before we will all know the outcome of the direction they took.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “