Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

magpieazza wrote:Thanks Lazza and Pies2016 it is a bit of fun and the fact Im not hearing anyone , even journos, put it out there makes it an interesting topic to talk about in these days of limbo.
The complication is of course the salary dump... Take all of his salary and I would accept a future third rounder!! This feels like a trend in the trade space that is going to grow - especially now the League has effectively endorsed it carte blanche.

If we're paying $300k as has been reported, then as with other posters, something mid teens might be appropriate? Will also depend on what they have to give too - not just organic trade currency but what they get from whatever else goes on.

One last point on the trade period - the more active and complex it gets, the better off you will be if you can act early. Sometimes this might require being pragmatic and taking a slightly lesser trade offering, if it means you can get onto the next deal and then the next deal. I think our club has historically been better at this than some others (getting deals done efficiently, not so much the trading part...!). Imagine being a club that is going to stuff around till the afternoon of the last day over a future fourth round pick and that holds up every other piece of their trade plans... (I think we all know who I am thinking about..)
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Presti35
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Presti35 »

Quinton Narkle may end up at one of the WA clubs. Just from a depth view only, isn't the worst option. However, I dont think he'd be happy to play majority VFL.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
woodys_world69
Been liked: 25 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

Presti35 wrote:Quinton Narkle may end up at one of the WA clubs. Just from a depth view only, isn't the worst option. However, I dont think he'd be happy to play majority VFL.
Narkle is too young for the Cats. they will let him go to another club and trade for him again when hes 42.
More inline with their list management strategy :P
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

McStay will be official as soon as Friday.

Trades for Hill (future 2nd) and Frampton (3rd) could be announced by Monday afternoon.

Trades for Fiorini, Mitchell, Hayes should be fairly straight forward.

News/Decisions on Madgen, Poulter, Henry to come.

And then we look at Grundy. Who knows what's going to happen here?

What worries me is Lions getting stronger with Dunkley and replacing McStay with Gunston. Carlton getting Acres for next to nothing. Richmond getting the GWS lads. Missing out on Jack Graham (Port?). And of course the drama surrounding Grundy, Henry and that feeling of getting nothing or not improving the team, and of course the ongoing cap drama.

Delisted players of interest:
-Collier-Dawkins (Hasn't been delisted yet).
-Stocker (rookie draft possibility)
-Phillips (rookie draft possibility)
-Callow (rookie draft possibility)
-Narkle
-Brander (something up here tho)

Can we speak to Connor McKenna and fill our category B Rookie spot? That'd be a good one.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Make no mistake, Collingwood can win it all in 2023, but getting things right in this trade period will play a huge part in that.

Have to get the right guys in. And dont want to upset the apple cart.
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

I've heard good things about this bloke up Managatang way who's out of the system, name of Achilles Jones.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 92 times

Post by RudeBoy »

stui magpie wrote:I've heard good things about this bloke up Managatang way who's out of the system, name of Achilles Jones.
He's no good stui. A real heal apparently.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Presti35 wrote:McStay will be official as soon as Friday.

Trades for Hill (future 2nd) and Frampton (3rd) could be announced by Monday afternoon.

Trades for Fiorini, Mitchell, Hayes should be fairly straight forward.

News/Decisions on Madgen, Poulter, Henry to come.

And then we look at Grundy. Who knows what's going to happen here?

What worries me is Lions getting stronger with Dunkley and replacing McStay with Gunston. Carlton getting Acres for next to nothing. Richmond getting the GWS lads. Missing out on Jack Graham (Port?). And of course the drama surrounding Grundy, Henry and that feeling of getting nothing or not improving the team, and of course the ongoing cap drama.

Delisted players of interest:
-Collier-Dawkins (Hasn't been delisted yet).
-Stocker (rookie draft possibility)
-Phillips (rookie draft possibility)
-Callow (rookie draft possibility)
-Narkle
-Brander (something up here tho)

Can we speak to Connor McKenna and fill our category B Rookie spot? That'd be a good one.
If Connor McKenna returns to play football it’ll be at Essendon, not Collingwood. None of the other players you name are A-graders. Stocker has done nothing at Carlton. Why would we want Hayes? News to me. True, sides like Brisbane look stronger to me next year, with the players they’re getting. However I don’t think we’re treading water. What we’re doing is plugging holes after a year with a new coach who has recognized we’re deficient of height in both the forward and back halves of the ground and need a bit more pace through the midfield. Our improvement comes from another preseason under a second year coach and development of players like Harrison, Draper, MaCrae, Kelly and Murley Cooper.
glasseyevfx

Post by glasseyevfx »

Are there any out of our VFL side that might make AFL?
I caught the last game of the season and thought Sam Fowler had a real dip. He made some mistakes, I know, but he seemed to have some presence.
We shall set our course by the stars and not ships that pass in the night
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

glasseyevfx wrote:Are there any out of our VFL side that might make AFL?
I caught the last game of the season and thought Sam Fowler had a real dip. He made some mistakes, I know, but he seemed to have some presence.
Lauchie Tardrew is worth looking at. Has been a consistently performer.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

Sam Fowler is an interesting player. Very small in statue but in the VFL matches I've seen he has been the most likely and lively player in our forward line to kick a goal. Would he be a cheaper and justifiable alternative to Brayden Fiorini from the Suns?
I wouldn't mind seeing him added to the rookie list to give some reward for performance at the VFL level and to improve our small forward depth on the list.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

If we take Mitchell, rather than asking the Hawks to pay some of his salary we should take it all and ask them to throw in a pick.

He's only got 1 year of his contract remaining, we could easily restructure that by offering 2-3 years on less money.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by piedys »

I've gone off Brayden Fiorini; to me he's an older version of Bianco.

Bianco coming along nicely; Fiorini neither gets enough ball or has any pace to speak of.

Cannot see Fiorini demanding a spot in the team, when he can barely get a gig at the Suns.

Do not trade for; rookie list at best, sorry...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

So Officially what been said so far this Trade Period(Starts Monday) is Happening like this:

IN: Hill Frampton

OUT: Henry
I am Da Man
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Frampton for a future 3rd founder seems to be the discussion.
Beware the swooping Magpie.