Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Presti35 »

I'm expecting some backlash here and I guess we already have Hoskin-Elliott, but...

https://youtu.be/xnZjI2c7hP0?t=2

Is a free agent.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Dr Pie

Post by Dr Pie »

RudeBoy wrote:
Deja Vu wrote:I agree the list of incoming talent looks underwhelming. But the key to good recruiting and list management is finding the diamonds in the rough.

Poaching stars from other clubs takes big dollars and high draft picks. If there's no real stars available, I'd rather we speculate on players that have maybe fallen out of favour or just haven't had the opportunities.

Lipinski, Crisp, Cameron, Howe. These guys all came relatively cheap and have proven to be astute picks. Got to trust that we may find some solid players in the ones we've targeted this year
Of course everything you say is true DV, but there's also every chance we just end up with a Jessie White or Quentin Lynch. Recent history suggests that every few years a Premiership contending club needs to bring in a genuine star player. The Tigers recruited Lynch, the Cats recruited Cameron and it appears the Dees are about to recruit Grundy. I honestly can't remember the last time we brought in a genuine ready-made star.
Luke Ball and Darren Jolly in 2010, which is over a decade ago.
Born and raised in Black and White
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by Big T »

Presti35 wrote:I'm expecting some backlash here and I guess we already have Hoskin-Elliott, but...

Is a free agent.
Backlash started. Hell no!
Buon Giorno
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Presti35 wrote:I'm expecting some backlash here and I guess we already have Hoskin-Elliott, but...

Is a free agent.
On that highlight reel, he fits the team ethos very well...
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Speculation is fine but really McStay, Frampton, Hill, Mitchell all plug holes.
They’re all the right shaped plugs, remains to be seen if they are the right size.
Anything else is a bonus really.
Take our first rounder for Grundy (it won’t be more than that thanks to the salary dump) and we move on.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
slangman
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by slangman »

If we were to get Tom Mitchell at 500-600k pa and traded away Grundy and 200k of his salary, I think that we would be a far better clearance team and the money would be about the same net outcome.
If this occurred it would negate the McStay replacing Grundy argument as it would be Mitchel replacing Grundy from both a positional and salary perspective.
- Side By Side -
Culprit
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Culprit »

Logan McDonald was rumored a few months ago, missing out on the GF team may mean he becomes a possible target.
Pies2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by Pies2016 »

So let’s take a very speculative look at how our 2023 list may look when all the dust settles after the trade period and draft -

Out - Grundy, Poulter, Henry, 2 x Browns, McMahon and a couple more non consequential players yet to be announced.

In - McStay, Hill, Frampton, Fiorini and possibly Mitchell ( which I’m not overly fussed about) Also and not to be undervalued, is the possibility of a much improved single digit first round pick ( OR staying with two later first round selections )
If nothing else, we’ve certainly added some much needed depth and balance to our list profile, although I’m not convinced the additions suddenly make us a frightening proposition to any opposition. Obviously the club made great inroads in 2022 and did so with very limited input from the “ outs “ but that improvement was also on the back of many narrow wins and a supposed soft draw. Nothing that happened in 2022 is relevant to what will unfold in 2023.

We also shouldn’t understate our position in the upcoming draft. If we can bundle up a couple later first rounders for a pick inside the top ten, that will round out our draft night very nicely. Its likely the clubs aim but it needs two to tango to make that happen.

When I look at it, I’m ok with the likely ins versus the outs. It’s been well documented why specific changes needed to occur, so it’s all about making those adjustments and then going on to make the best of a bad situation.
Go Pies.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Everyone should have had their exit meetings by now. It’s unusually quiet! Guessing we’ll know more on Monday, probably because two of the teams we’re trading with are in the GF. I’ve got a hunch we’re doing something with Sydney.
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

McStay has officially told Brisbane he is leaving for Collingwood.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Johnno75 wrote:McStay has officially told Brisbane he is leaving for Collingwood.
Now that it's official that McStay is coming to us on a five year deal I really don't see an issue with his salary of around 600K a year. That's about 400K less a year than Grundy and two years less, being five years instead of seven. Does anybody know what Fiorini is getting paid at the Gold Coast because it appears we are going to carry his contract?
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Culprit wrote:Logan McDonald was rumored a few months ago, missing out on the GF team may mean he becomes a possible target.
Is signed until the end of 2024.

Was rumoured to have a lengthy contract put in front of him by Collingwood last year, but rejected it to stay in Sydney.

He's only 20 and primed to take over from Buddy/Reid. Would be a sensational pick up, but I doubt will be leaving the Swans. Still may play in the GF anyway, if Reid doesnt come up or as sub.
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

I think I read somewhere that Fiorini was on $600k with 2 years to go but we could cover that by offering $400k x 3 years.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Big T wrote:

Is a free agent.
Backlash started. Hell no!
My thinking is, Grundy is about to become a Demon and we may end up with a low return in the deal. So does it weaken Melbourne if Hunt leaves? Is he in their best 22? If the answers are yes, then would Hunt be in our best 22? If that is a yes, then who does he replace?

Hunt is a free agent and at 27, has a few years left.

Does he get enough of the ball? No.

What's his disposal like? Its 74.5%.

Can he kick goals? Yes and no. He kicked 21 as a forward in 2019, and can sneak up every now and then. But he has been playing as a defender in the last couple of seasons.

What is his main attribute? Pace. He is very quick and is very good at tackling and running opponents down. They call him the speed demon and I think does add something to our list. WCE are interested.

187cm, speedy, straight kick, plays forward and back... I've heard worse ideas (usually from me :lol: )

And we could even give him his own theme song thanks to the 2000 Portland Trail Blazers: https://youtu.be/CcALIkbXwbs?t=2
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 53 times

Post by warburton lad »

Would like to see Jayden Hunt running off the half back line.

Line breaking speed is a great quality to have.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...