Unimpressive victory

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Dale61

Unimpressive victory

Post by Dale61 »

Williamstown put in an uninspiring effort in defeating Bendigo this afternoon. The Diggers were nipping at the home sides heels all day, and at times it seemed an unlikely victory was on the cards. Although a win is a win, no matter the score, Bendigo can hold their heads high and be proud of their efforts, whilst Williamstown need to do some serious sole searching if they want to get close to the top sides, and after today's performance, a final's appearance is just not going to happen.

Scores:
Will: 5.5.35 ~ 8.10.58 ~ 13.12.90 ~ 14.15.99
Bend: 2.2.14 ~ 7.3.45 ~ 9.5.59 ~ 10.10.70

Goals: Davidson 3, Cummings 3, Pearce 2, Anderson, Lloyd, Steinfort, Richards, Podsiadly, Smoker.

Best: West, Steinfort, Podsiadly, Davidson, Dimattina, DeAngelis.

"Racetracks are for racing, roads are for getting there."

[This message has been edited by Dale61 (edited 24 June 2002).]
MargOZ

Post by MargOZ »

I was pretty surprised when I saw the scores! Well done to the Diggers and I think you're right Dale, Williamstown really need to pull their socks up if they want to play finals football. They've certainly shown us in earlier matches how well they can play.

How did Cummings play? Three goals isn't bad but I was actually expecting him to kick more against Bendigo.

GO PIES!
Marg
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

All played at an unusually sub-standard level. Cummings, although kicking three goals, didn't have a lot of clean delivery due to Bendigo shutting down the feed to him. However, what came his way was either cut off by bad disposal, or he plain dropped the ball. Several times he dropped what would normally be an easy mark, and he should have had at least 6 goals by half time.

The main problem seems to be their 'handball-at-all-costs' attitude. OK, keep the ball moving and play the game at your level, but when there is one handball too many, or a cheeky handball over the top gets smothered, or a chip kick gets cut off, the ball will generally be sent into the opposition forward undefended, and usually resulting in a goal. Players just dont seem to be accountable for themselves, and some of the experienced players just dont appear to be putting in 100%. There is too much being done by too few.

Now is the time to snap out of it. After Sunday's performance, nobody deserves to be promoted to the senior team. Williamstown are a far better team than they are at the moment, and unless something is done to halt the slide, then all concerned may as well book holidays for September now.

paulie

Post by paulie »

I noticed in the reserves report a shaw is mentioned as kicking four goals.I assume this is the racehorse did anyone see any of the willy reserves game wondering how he is going as i thought this would be his year to really break into the senior collingwood side in a big way with his pace as a crummer on the forward line.With the occassional run on the ball.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

I was there early enough tho watch the reserves, and a couple of players that could be worth watching.

Tristen Walker, at 18yo, is 194kgs and 93 kgs. He presented himself well to the contests, and made his huge presence felt on a number of occasions.

Rhyce Shaw returned from injury and kicked four goals, and did some excellent work. If he can continue to play like he did yesterday, maybe he can turn his career around. Most of what Rhyce did was due to his ability to become the loose man, and therefore, he fed off his team mates hard work. He did play well, however, but there were a few ahead of him in the best player list.

Mark Dubyna could be the tallish backman we'll need when Richo retires. He has good pace, sure hands and reads the play well.

Leith Teakle can run all day, but needs to learn to read the play a little better. He also needs to work a little on his tackling.

BTW, the reserves beat Northern Bullants 24.12.156 to 17.15.117