Dooley inspires Big V revival - Herald Sun

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Dale61

Dooley inspires Big V revival - Herald Sun

Post by Dale61 »

17 June 2002
By Jon Ralph

AT HALFTIME in Saturday's VFL clash against the SANFL, Paul Dooley faced a critical, game-turning decision.

The Williamstown ruckman had copped a savage knock on his troublesome right knee, and could either play on and risk worsening the injury, or sit on the bench and preserve himself for the rest of the season.

Dooley made the selfless decision to throw himself back in the fray and played a significant role in Victoria's seven-goal third quarter, dominating the SANFL ruck duo of Paul Lindsay and Ryan O'Connor.

Dooley, who retired injured to the bench once a winning lead was established, was rewarded with the Frank Johnson Medal for best afield after a courageous display on debut for Victoria.

The 26-year-old yesterday received further good news, with his knee cleared of serious damage.

Dooley said he had scarcely considered sitting out the rest of the game.

"At that point in time, my biggest concern was for Victoria to win," he said.

"I didn't care if I had done (my knee) or not, I was going to keep going out there, because a Victorian win meant the world to me, coming from the old VFA, and that is one of the biggest things I wanted to do.

"I don't want to sound bad, but I wasn't thinking about Williamstown at that stage, it was only Victoria."

Dooley's domination was mirrored across the field. Victoria won in almost every position in a 56-point victory at Adelaide Oval.

Dooley said the players were ecstatic to have finally beaten the SANFL after repeated failures, and also to have robbed it of its arrogance.

"It was just the fact that the SANFL didn't really rate the VFL as a competition. It sort of irks you a bit," he said. "A few of the boys were very happy to finally get over them and not just get over them, but win convincingly."

Debut coach Gerard Fitzgerald said Victoria's win was a tremendous boost for the VFL's reputation as a breeding ground for young talent.

"They have been the yardstick, but we can emphatically say that players can now be developed in Victorian football. There is no need to go interstate," he said. "It was just a great boost for Victorian footy."

Six of Victoria's losing team last year were drafted by AFL clubs, compared with none in the SANFL, further evidence of the VFL's re-emergence.

"Racetracks are for racing, roads are for getting there."