Williamstown smash Frankston

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Dale61

Williamstown smash Frankston

Post by Dale61 »

Will: 5.5.35 8.9.57 14.14.98 22.19.151
Frank: 2.2.14 5.4.34 7.7.49 12.7.79

Goals: Lovett-Murray 4, Steinfort 4, Fletcher 3, Anderson 2, Kinnear 2, Adkins, Scotland, Swan, A.R.Hill, Podsiadly, Richardson, Rippon.

Best: Steinfort, Anderson, Didak, Dimattina, Dooley, Scotland.

(For those interested, Williamstown reserves beat Sandringham 23.18.156 to 10.8.68. Several Collingwood listed and rookie players performed well, with Tom Davidson kicking 3 goals, and Justin Crow amongst the best players. Mark Dubyna and Leith Teakle also played well.)

An early setback when Troy West left the ground inside the first five minutes with a possible broken jaw threw the Williamstown defence into disarray. Alan Didak made the trip home from S.A. in time to take his place in the line-up, and with Donny DeAngelis (replacing West at full back), Andrew Dimattina (back to his aggressive best), Mark Richardson (starting at CHB) and Damien Adkins (another blinder) repelled a spirited Frankston midfield.

The forward line, led by Ben Kinnear (just about ready for a senior call-up), Craig Anderson (2 goals and always dangerous) and Dane Swan (quiet but effective) saw Williamstown go into the first break with a handy lead.

Nathan Lovett-Murray (on last year's Collingwood rookie list) and Richard Cole (back after injury) saw their first action of the game, and both made an immediate impact. Adrian Fletcher was again controlling the mid field, and with runners Carl Steinfort, Heath Scotland, Brad Lloyd (brother of Matthew) and Craig Smoker (sometimes too aggressive) everywhere, a big score was looking good.

Frankston kept up the pressure, to their credit, and at half time the scoreboard had them still in with a sniff, albeit only faint.

It was after the main break that Williamstown tore the heart out of Frankston. Richard Cole started to show why Collingwood took him in the first round of this years draft, and Lovett-Murray (3 goals) and Steinfort (2) had the Mustangs defence in tatters. "Chipper" Adkins was in everything and using his pace to best effect, Fletcher kicked two of his three goals thanks to his ability to crumb off the packs, and Kinnear was standing strong in attack and making a contest of everything that came his way, allowing the small men to gather possessions at will. The stand-out of an excellent quarter was Lovett-Murray.

A 49 point lead at the last change allowed Coach Brad Gotch to move his players around, and Richard Cole's quarter whilst in defence was the best football that I have seen him play. He was unstoppable and nothing got by him.

Previous weeks have seen Williamstown run out of legs, but an eight goal quarter saw them extend the margin to a 72 point victory, and a boost in their percentage.

Didak chipped in with a lot of possessions in the last quarter after being well held for the middle part of the game, Paul Dooley and Guy Richards won the ruck duels with ease, always giving the mid fielders first use of the pill. Andrew R. Hill pulled in a couple of screamers in the last, and showed that he is back from injury, whilst A.J.Hill (Wang) was not his usual lively self on the last line of defence. However, DeAngelis, filling in for the injured West, was playing like a man possessed and kept gun full forward Nick Sautner to 7 (maybe 8) goals, which out of a total of 12 is a fair effort by Sautner.

Next week sees the Seagulls head across the West Gate to TEAC Oval to face Port Melbourne, and the back line is hoping that 'Plugger' gets a call from the Swans, but with the midfield running rampant, supply to the 'Big Fella' is bound to come up short.

"Racetracks are for racing, roads are for getting there."

[This message has been edited by Dale61 (edited 26 May 2002).]

Danzy Rocks!!!

Post by Danzy Rocks!!! »

It's really sad about Frankston. They used to be such a strong side.
Anyway, well done Willy!

danny.... i will never forget you. :(
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

They can't even find enough players to field a reserves side. The reserves score I gave was Williamstown v Sandringham.

NICK THE PIE MAN

Post by NICK THE PIE MAN »

I am a interstate fan and unfortuantly never get to see Willy play and see our maturing young guns in action, but thanks to you Dale, I stay well informed with things at Williamstown.

Thanks alot for the great report as usual Dale,
its greatly appreciated.

KILL FOR COLLINGWOOD
MagpieMad

Post by MagpieMad »

Dale I have been reading your reports for a couple of weeks now and have meant to thank you for the effort you put in for us every week. thanks m8, job well done Image

how far is Damien Adkins from a call up to the seniors?
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Hope this doesn't sound like a smartarse response, but if I knew that answer, magpiemad, I'd be on the selection committee.

On recent performances, Adkins, Steinfort, Scotland, Kinnear and Dimattina would be close to a senior recall, whilst Didak seems to rely on a late withdrawal, or late injury, to get a senior game.

Of the others, Richard Cole needs to stay fit and injury free, Rhyce Shaw, who must be injured as he didn't play on the weekend, needs to work on his disposal selection (seems to always overlook the first option), Guy Richards still needs work before he advances to the next level, Mark Richardson needs match fitness, whilst all the rookies need to keep working as they all look as though they will be good players.

Hope that helps you to keep up to date with the listed players.

ramjet21

Post by ramjet21 »

thanks for another good report dale. great to hear the kids are pushing hard for selection. just about give adkins a run in the seniors this week i reckon. think MCG might just need a breather in the magoos for a week. personally i dont think shaw or dimma should ever(!) be entitled to play another senior game for the pies but good to know dimma is playing ok.
Greg J

Post by Greg J »

Dale61, which midfielder would who rate the most likely to be promoted, if a position became available? Has Adkins overhauled Steinfort in the past two weeks? Has Cole done enough to be considered? What was his injury, it kept him out for two weeks didn't it?

Lovett-Murray has to be a chance of being drafted this year, by some club, if he remains injury free and he continues to improve.

Rule 1. Barrack for Collingwood
Rule 2. See rule 1.
Rule 3. There is no rule 3.

CARN DE PIES!
Greg J
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Greg, from what I've been able to determine from where I sit, Chipper and Steiny are changing with each other at half back flank, but if I had to choose, Steinfort would get my nod due to his better body-on-body work.

Have no idea what injury Richard Cole had, nor do I know what Rhyce Shaw is suffering from, as I am not officially with the club, so nobody can/will tell me. Richard could still be a couple of weeks away from a senior call-up.

Nathan Lovett-Murray was a Collingwood listed rookie last year, but as he decided to stay with Williamstown as opposed to returning to North Ballarat, I wouldn't be surprised if he is once again on Collingwoods rookie list next year. He looks a totally different player this year as his overall skill level has improved.