Training 17/3/'99

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Neil Appleby

Training 17/3/'99

Post by Neil Appleby »

Attended training this afternoon and as it was the first time in a couple of seasons,
a few things really stood out.
The overwhelming impression I got from sitting near the dug-out with 27 others on this sensational, mild Autumn day, was the absolute professionalism that ran through every facet of the training.
Danny Frawley ran the session with 3 other skills coaches. The skills coaches called players one at a time for short sharp ball skills. Even Bucks was called to do one.
Tony Shaw attended but only called a few players aside for chats(Wasley/Rasso).
When a drinks time-out was called I was astonished to see the players file over take the drink from The Bench area and then line up to throw their cups into a bin.
Not one cup was left on the ground.
A very small detail I know but one that left a big impression...every facet of the day was drilled to perfection....behaviour on the track also.
I must say that the first 45 minutes or so was the quietest training session I've ever heard; it later warmed up with the usual suspects offering loud encouragement(Crossisca/Monky).
Luke Godden did full training but was hobbling a bit.
Sav did all training also but received treament to his right upper leg, the same leg which had a heavily bandaged knee.
Whoever told Sav that the Julius Ceasar
brush-cut,DIED JET BLACK,was a good look??
A few other interesting new hairstyles were noted; a couple of heavily preroxided heads and much gold "tipping" evident.
Lee Walker ran a few laps but didn't do much else.
A few players impressed;
37 -lightly built guy with nice skills.
47-there were actually 2 players wearing this number..can anyone help with names.
16-Wasley very sharp
Orchard, will be a good pickup if today was any guide.
Tyson Lane-very enthusiastic.
Anyone else attend?
Cheers.
Godden and Wild seem to have improved their foot skills; actually much emphasis was placed on kicking for accuracy and to me the skills looked much better.
I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

------------------
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Neil,
As mentioned in my previous email I was also there. I was sitting just on the other side of the race from Neil Balme and a few other blokes. It sounds like you stayed a bit longer than me but I agree it was conducted very professionally. It was also good to see Shane Morwood back on the field and helping out.
Damien.
Mike
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Mike »

Thanks Damien and Neil, you don't know how much it means to those of us 'over the water and far away' to get these reports. I like the pictures you paint - I can just about be there.

New Players this year:

2 - Mark Orchard
8 - Ricky Olarenshaw
9 - Glenn Freeborn
19 - Nick Davis
24 - Tarkyn Lockyer
25 - Cameron Venables
32 - Paul Licuria
33 - Tyson Lane
34 - Brad Oborne
37 - Jeremy Sharpen
38 - Craig Jacotine