Williamstown vs. Box Hill 02/04/05

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Williamstown vs. Box Hill 02/04/05

Post by Dark Beanie »

Final scores:

Box Hill 13.14.92 defeated Williamstown 10.10.70
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
gogulls

Post by gogulls »

A very disappointing effort by the Seagulls in Round 1. They were jumped at the start and never really recovered. Down by 20 points at quarter time they eventually went down by 22 points. There were not too many contributors.

King kicked 3 goals and could have kicked a couple more. Maxwell, J Cloke and Lokan battled manfully in defence before Lokan was thrown forward in the last quarter.

Going through the Collingwood players I would rate them as follows:

Egan - very patchy. Did a couple of good things. Looked ok out of the goal square
Maxwell - solid in defence and had a stint up forward
Lokan - see Maxwell. Looked confused in taking kick-ins
King - struggled early on-ball but looked dangerous in the second half. One of the better players.
Morrison - continues to disappoint. Can't take a contested mark. Thrown down back in the last quarter.
T Cloke - did some very impressive things. Had some time in the ruck but mostly up forward.
J Cloke - solid down back and was asked to be more accountable by Gotch.
B Shaw - very disappointing. Hardly touched it in the first half and gave away a 50 m penalty. Will be interesting to see if he keeps his spot.
H Shaw - did a couple of goods things - as he always seems to do. But needs to become more than a burst player.
Davies - showed a bit of promise.
Fanning - well beaten in the Ruck and doesn't mark around the ground.

That's about it. Except to say the the Reserves had a convincing victory by about 14 goals.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Final scores:

RESERVES

Will: 3.5.23 - 8.8.56 - 12.15.87 - 21.21.147
BH: 2.3.15 - 4.3.27 - 6.5.41 - 8.8.56

Goals: Rose 3, Rusling 3, Pearce 3, Barling 3, Galea 2, Langlands 2, McArdle, O'Dwyer, Proctor, Clifton, Stretton.

Best: Gowers, McArdle, Iacobucci, Barling, Rose, Picken.

SENIORS

Will: 3.2.20 - 3.3.21 - 5.7.37 - 10.10.70
BH: 6.4.40 - 8.10.58 - 10.13.73 - 13.14.92

Goals: King 3, Shelton 2, Tallis 2, T.Cloke, Cranage, Maxwell.

Best: Maxwell, Lawry, T.Cloke, King, Shelton, Lloyd.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
willl

Post by willl »

There's a couple of photos here from Getty Images from the Williamstown v Box Hill match.
rand corp

Post by rand corp »

Good to see Rusling kicked 3 and Booch get into the best players, hopefully they will break into the senior side which, by all (and I mean all) accounts was dreadful.

Pies take a couple more hidings playing the serial duds and MM will be forced to blood some kids, Trav and Egan looking like the only ones likely at this stage. Which does make you wonder what the hell we were doing during the past two or three drafts.
Rizzo32

Post by Rizzo32 »

Horrible game, only got some flow in the last term when it was already over (King had 6possesions 5 marks in the last), couldn't name a good player for Willi, only shining light was T.Cloke not so much for how good he was but just for howhe went about it and his attack on the ball/player.

Maggies stats
Egan 12k-3m-3h-0.2gls
Maxwell 8-6-2-1.1
Lokan 6-3-4-0.0
King 13-10-3-3.2
Morrison 2-2-2-0.0
T.Cloke 9-4-3-1.0
J.Cloke 10-4-1-0.0
B.Shaw 4-1-3-0.0
H.Shaw 11-4-5-0.0
Davies 5-2-1-0.0
Fanning 7-5-4-0.0
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

Maxwell was NOT solid at all.
He has beaten at contested marks all day & his 2nd efforts weren't anything to write home about.
H.Shaw. T.Cloke,Egan did some nice things & Davies bobbed up now & then, but the rest of the Collingwood players (listed) were terrible,just terrible.
So much for our depth.
Rizzo32

Post by Rizzo32 »

Anyone see the 2's did Hall or O'Brien play?

Or any of these fellas?
9 McKenzie, Kane
23 Dukes, Jeremy
46 Benson, Dean
26 Boyd, Murray
11 Chiu, Anthony
14 Crawford, Ryan
6 Dullard, Conor
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Rizzo, if you go to http://www.footballvic.com.au/ and click on 'TXU VFL results, this will take you to http://vfl.footballvic.com.au/?s=results

You then click on the drop down menu for VFL Reserves, and you'll find out who played for every club on any given weekend.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
WKB

Post by WKB »

We were very dissappointing. Outmarked on several occasions. Cloke was outmarked constantly for a quarter and a half. He is a senior player and was against one of the knew hawthorn recruits and looked stupid. Played better as the game wore on and was moved. That lewis he played on took 14 contested marks I read and I believe it.

maxwell finished better than he started but they all looked shaky early and loose players for BHill made it hard for the defenders.

Brayden was very dissappointing.

Fanning has taked a step backwards, he had two options, go back play a blinder and say to Mick "never drop me again" but he looked like he took the second and said "Geez they mustn't think much of me, so what's the point" The amount of times he dropped back into the whole only to do nothing when the ball came down.

Heath Shaw is alright but like someone said needs more than bursts

I thought Billy wasn't all that bad, he used his body a bit more but the delivery to the forwards was awful at best.

Trav Cloke could walk straight into the senior side the way the Pies are going. Took some good marks, lead to right spots, athletic, good at ground level and if the umpires had let him get both arms up and most occasions instead of letting the BHill players hold him, he would have had a lot more.

Kingy was good.

Rayden Tallis was poor to say the least, he is a coach down there and he didn't get many touches (or I don't remember many of them) and he provided no chatter on the field. He is a senior player and coach he should be encouraging, setting places that he sees out there and hopefully getting the pill (fletch was always doing this, pointing blokes to positions, chatting etc).

I liked young Egan. Spindly arms that he needs to have stronger in marks but he knows where to go to get the ball, reads the play fairly well. creates space for himself, wasn't the best on the day by a longshot but very encouraging signs, just needs to go at the ball with stronger arms, dropped a lot of easy marks.

22 points flattered us, but a bit in that last quarter showed we are capable of better, if we just move it on, and deliver better.
gogulls

Post by gogulls »

Rizzo32

Hall and O'Brien both played in the Reserves. Hall played most of the game in the ruck and O'Brien mostly at Half Back. Neither was named in the best players. Hall gave away a few free kicks with his ruck work and still looks a way off, but improved on last year I think.

Of the Willy players you named McKenzie, Dukes and Boyd played. Benson, Crawford, Chiu and Dullard all missed out. Shows the depth of the Club.

McKenzie was great again I reckon and his form through the pre-season must have him close to senior selection. Dukesy had a bit of an off day, but still battled hard as usual. Boyd was reliable at Full Back and rarely beaten one on one
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

how did yakka and rusling go?
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Big T »

Could Billy Morrison turn out to be the worst 1st round pick since Danny Roach? Or is it too early to tell.
Buon Giorno
Rizzo32

Post by Rizzo32 »

Thanks all.

Dale you've done it again, thanks for that just what I've been waiting for.
Gomez

Post by Gomez »

Billy Morrison = invisible man.
Does not want to get the ball.
Must be his last season.
Go home Billy, evidently you do not want to be here.