Springvale won't be in the VFL 2006

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Culprit
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 36 times

Springvale won't be in the VFL 2006

Post by Culprit »

Huge rumour going around that they are broke. All rumours point to Noble Park entering the VFL. They have the money and players. Currently dominating the EFL (won the last 2 flags).

I know it's nothing to do with Williamstown, but could have ramifications due to Springvale are aligned with St Kilda.
Johnson#26

Re: Springvale won't be in the VFL 2006

Post by Johnson#26 »

Culprit wrote:Huge rumour going around that they are broke. All rumours point to Noble Park entering the VFL. They have the money and players. Currently dominating the EFL (won the last 2 flags).

I know it's nothing to do with Williamstown, but could have ramifications due to Springvale are aligned with St Kilda.
They are probably the only side from the EFL that could do it. They have quite a few good players in their side, including fromer Magpie Craig Jacotine.

Could this be a reason that the Saints drafted a reletivly unknown Noble Parker in James Guwilts?
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Wont happen! Springvale are the prime target to move to the City of Casey and become the Casey Scorpions come 2006.

Not sure on exactly how a VFL / AFL alliance works, but surely part of the alliance would ensure that the VFL party would remain financially viable. Then again, St. Chunda could always look to Frankston.....
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Well if that's the case Dale, City of Casey best be prepared to put some cash into the club. It's no secret how far into the red Springvale are. This time next year we will know.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

From what I've read elsewhere (a VFL BB), the City of Casey approached Springvale FC to see if they would be prepared to move if a ground (and necessary infrastructure) was developed that would be suitable for VFL standard.

However, in saying that, I didn't know they were that bad off financially, but the level of player they have playing in their reserves (especially last season) would indicate that.

I hope for the sake of the VFL that Springvale are able to survive, but then again, a 12 team comp wouldn't be such a bad thing (no more bye). If another team is bought in, I would much prefer to see another regional team rather than some wannabe's.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

I agree it comes back to money and Noble Park have plenty of it. They are to strong for the EFL.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Does being too strong for the EFL equate to be competitive in the VFL? I'd hate to see a new club enter the comp and cop a hiding each and every week.

The same could be said if a new regional team entered the comp, but at least it will give the VFL exposure in another part of Victoria.

Seeing as though we have a Tassie team in the VFL, I'd even like to see a team from NSW given a go, but would rather see Springy remain as they already have the runs on the board.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Given their current list I would say they would be more competitive than Springvale. Do they have a salary cap in the VFL?
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Not sure re: VFL salary cap, but I would assume so otherwise what's stopping a club like Williamstown all the recently delisted ex-AFL players to big $$ contracts?

Springvale's problem has been the fact that their home ground was deemed unfit for use for most of the past two seasons, and have been playing home games at Shepley Oval in Dandenong. Not sure on whether they have to pay to use the ground, but if the crowds were any indication (I was at both their home games against Williamstown the past two seasons), they wouldn't have made any profit, if any, from their home games anyway.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

The Collingwood Turtle

Post by The Collingwood Turtle »

Easy solution to Springvale's debt crisis.

Do what Dandenong did, declare yourself banrupt and then reform under a similar name.
onslaught

Post by onslaught »

Dale61 wrote:From what I've read elsewhere (a VFL BB), the City of Casey approached Springvale FC to see if they would be prepared to move if a ground (and necessary infrastructure) was developed that would be suitable for VFL standard.

However, in saying that, I didn't know they were that bad off financially, but the level of player they have playing in their reserves (especially last season) would indicate that.

I hope for the sake of the VFL that Springvale are able to survive, but then again, a 12 team comp wouldn't be such a bad thing (no more bye). If another team is bought in, I would much prefer to see another regional team rather than some wannabe's.
They are supposed to be getting a cut of Pokies revenue out there, which angered some of the local clubs... made the news in their local papers. Same with Sth Melbourne Cricket Club who are also headed out to Casey Fields.

Also to answer another post in this thread, I believe the salary cap for a VFL club with an alignment is roughly $140K, non-aligned about $160K.
cheers,
onslaught
http://www.vflfooty.com