Round 18 - Reserves only.

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Dale61

Round 18 - Reserves only.

Post by Dale61 »

With the seniors having the bye, the reserves travelled across the West Gate to play Port Melbourne.

Scores:
Will: 4.2.26 ~ 10.6.66 ~ 15.9.99 ~ 19.10.124
Port: 3.2.20 ~ 7.3.45 ~ 10.5.65 ~ 13.6.84

Goals: Dukes 5, Knight 5, Ramsay 2, Hollow 2, Uhi 2, Butler, Palmer, Neeson.

Best: Hollow, Sheehan, Knight, McKenzie, Pearce, Cape, Davies.

Todays win moves the reserves into third place, on percentage ahead of North Ballarat, on the ladder, but two games behind the top two (Port Melbourne and Sandringham).
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
PenshurstPie

Post by PenshurstPie »

Ther usual query on this board, Dale61. Did any Pies rookies or players take the field, and how did they go? I guess we are all especially anxious for Hall to show something.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Penshurst, I didn't go to the game so can't answer any questions this week. I'm hoping that someone from Nick's saw the game and can post a match report.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
President Ted Parker

Post by President Ted Parker »

Wouldn't surprise with the seniors now out of contention for a spot in the 8 the Willi reserves will now win their 3rd flag in row under the guidance of coach and Collingwood runner Anthony Eames.
I should have never been sacked as the president of the Collingwood Football Club.
brodie_rocks!

Post by brodie_rocks! »

Hey, I went to the game yday. Not sure on the names of half the players as we didnt' have a record but from who we did know:

Zane Leonard was let loose on the wing in the first quarter playing on the quick #20 from Port Melb. Zane was tagged pretty bad but managed to shake him about 10 mins in and get into the play a bit. Missed a goal himself but set-up about 2 and had his hands on the ball most times it went down forward. Second quarter, he had a new opponent who ran him away from the ball so he wasn't in the play much which was showed by his dragging about the 20 min mark. Third and forth q's he was well held too, opponent kept running him away from the play which meant we were left with no choice but to go down the middle on most occasions. He got put in the midfield midway through the 3rd and got a few touches which was pleasing to see. Jumps well for a little guy and backs himself in a contest - pretty gutsy and tough. Pretty impressed given it's only his third run back.

Ramsey played really well too. Down in the goal square with Dukes, between the 2 of them, they managed to outplay the PM backmen on almost every occasion. Let a good chance slip early in the forth but made up for that with some excellent shepharding to assist each other later.

Leigh Sheehan was fantastic. Was benched about 2 times only because I think the poor guy was physically stuffed. Worked hard all afternoon. The whole team did well, got off to a slowish start but came home like a train at the end of the 1st and kept coming back at any PM revival. Completely outran the PM players, particularly in the midfield as it seemed our boys adapted to the wet muddy conditions better than them. Won most hardball gets and took some fantastic marks out on the 50 that were then passed off almost every time to leads by Ramsey or Dukes.
Rizzo32

Post by Rizzo32 »

Hay Dale who the heck is Davies??
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

No idea! I wasn't at the game.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Rizzo32

Post by Rizzo32 »

Thought he may have been an addition to the playing list that I wasn't aware of. Wouldn't have thought we'd need top up players this week with the seniors having the bye and many of them playing 2's .
PenshurstPie

Post by PenshurstPie »

Dale61,

What is to stop Willy playing their best team in the ressies when their ones have the bye. When the AFL had a bye, I was in Melbourne and watched Collingwood's ressies play Hawthorn. Kelly, Crosisca and seveal other first team players were playing that day, and the poor old Hawks got a drubbing.

Could Willy do the same? If Collingwood pressured them to play ALL the Collingwood players in the twos, could it happen?
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Theoretically, there is no reason why Williamstown can't play the likes of Lloyd, West, Cranage, etc in the reserves when the seniors have a bye, but these players are the ultimate team players and would prefer to give the lesser lights their chance to play.

All the Collingwood players in the reserves? Could it happen? Yes, it could, but it wont happen, mainly for the same reason as given above - giving the lesser lights the chance to play.

With that, I'm not fully up to speed with the VFL regulations on who can play where, but as several senior regulars (Pearce, Sheehan to name but two) have had injury interrupted seasons, the extra run would do them good. CFC players in Benson and Hall have been season long reserves players, and Leonard's coming back after a serious injury, so these players are 'eligible' to play for the reserves.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
PenshurstPie

Post by PenshurstPie »

Thanks. And not JUST foir the reply. Your reports are a fabulous part of this website.
Dale61 wrote:Theoretically, there is no reason why Williamstown can't play the likes of Lloyd, West, Cranage, etc in the reserves when the seniors have a bye, but these players are the ultimate team players and would prefer to give the lesser lights their chance to play.

All the Collingwood players in the reserves? Could it happen? Yes, it could, but it wont happen, mainly for the same reason as given above - giving the lesser lights the chance to play.

With that, I'm not fully up to speed with the VFL regulations on who can play where, but as several senior regulars (Pearce, Sheehan to name but two) have had injury interrupted seasons, the extra run would do them good. CFC players in Benson and Hall have been season long reserves players, and Leonard's coming back after a serious injury, so these players are 'eligible' to play for the reserves.