Round 17 vs Tasmania

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Dale61

Round 17 vs Tasmania

Post by Dale61 »

Williamstown vs Tasmania
Date/Time: Sunday August 1, 2:00pm start
Venue: Burbank Oval, Morris Street Williamstown (Melways Map 56 D12)

Reserves:
No game

This Sunday the Seagulls take on Tasmania at Burbank Oval. This is an opportune time for the Seagulls to win consecutive matches, a feat that the team are yet to achieve this season.

Tasmania, however will be looking to attune for last weeks shock home loss to Tasmania. With Ben Beams set to return from suspension, the Devils will be raring to go.

With the Seagulls desperate to cling on to their slight finals hopes, this game is set for an exciting outcome.

Round 17 team:

B:
Cranage ~ West ~ Theodore

HB:
Jarrad ~ McArdle ~ Nixon

C:
Mullins ~ Lloyd ~ H. Shaw

HF:
Swan ~ Lawry ~ Williams

F:
Kinnear ~ Morrison ~ Smoker

R:
Crow ~ B. Shaw ~ McGough

Inter:
Hollow ~ Knight ~ Leonard ~ McKenzie
Pearce ~ Ralph ~ Ramsay ~ Sheehan
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Canberra

Post by Canberra »

Interesting to see Leonard in the mix for a bench spot. I suppose it gets down to whether they think they can afford to play someone with limited game time in his legs. It would be great to see him get a run in short bursts to give us an idea of his skills in a higher level.
Do not adjust your mind. The fault is in reality.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

A narrow loss has ensured Williamstown's season is as good as over, now being one game, plus lots of percentage, out of the eight, with two games to play.

Final scores:
Will: 4.2.26 ~ 6.6.42 ~ 8.8.56 ~ 12.10.82
Tas: 2.7.19 ~ 5.8.38 ~ 9.11.65 ~ 14.14.98

Goals: H.Shaw 3, Knight 2, Sheehan, B.Shaw, Morrison, Smoker, Williams, Kinnear, Pearce
Best: Nixon, Lloyd, McGough, Kinnear, Swan, Crow.

Match pics.

Players warming up.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

More pics.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

More pics.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

The last lot.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
d9 tank

Post by d9 tank »

Dale, is Crow ready for his senior debut? Surely he should replace McKee now.

Also how was Leonard and did he get much game time?

Is Billy adjusting to the tempo a bit better now?

Thanks mate, great pictures again.
Canberra

Post by Canberra »

Great stuff as usual Dale61. I too am interested in your opinion of Leonard.
Do not adjust your mind. The fault is in reality.
Rizzo32

Post by Rizzo32 »

Yep same here want to hear about Leonard. Did Mullins play? Was Nixon really our best?

Who played out of:
35 Lawry, Heath
20 Hollow, Brendan
9 McKenzie, Kane
17 Ramsay, Aaron

Top pics great work as always. thanks Dale
Rizzo32

Post by Rizzo32 »

or 3 Ralph, Scott
WKB

Post by WKB »

A dissappointing game to say the least, boys didn't seem on yesterday, then in patches they moved the ball quickly ran hard got it in forward quick and looked the goods. Fair to say we were our own worst enemies (perhaps just behind the umpiring, 3rd straight week we have had some of the worst umpiring I've seen at VFL level)

Crow could and should get a game just to see him at the highest level, I"m sure he'd handle it well but don't now until you try.

I usually don't get down to see much of the reserves games so when Zane Leonard has played I've not seen him. But yesterday I vowed to wear the number 44 on my back, that kid is as hard at it as any bloke at the club, his tackling and general harrassment was superb, kept his feet and second efforts were superb, still a kid and stats probably show he didn't get a tonne of touches but good lord he definitely stood out. Without putting pressure on him it's fair to say he could be the next Scotty Burns, that sort of toughness about him. Stupidly big wrap for only one game but you couldn't help but be impressed with his attack at the pill.

Billy continues to impress, sometimes it's hard to remember he's only 17, big lad, leads all day (often unrewarded) and often had to contend with 2 defenders but is getting better at using his bulk to make sure there is a contest when this happens and that if he doesn't get it that the ball spills to ground to create that second contest. Heath Shaw continues to impress me.
Melsa5

Post by Melsa5 »

Great Photos Dale ..again I should say!

I was thinking that with Andrew Williams still playing in the 2nds and all of the forwards out in the 1sts, you would have to say that his days are up?

It is looking promising for the next few years!
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Rizzo, of that group, Heath Lawry was the only one to play.

WKB, you've summed up Leonard perfectly. He was rotated on and off the ground a lot, but when he was on, he always seemed to be where the ball was. An exciting prospect worth waiting for.

Billy let his frustrations known during the third quarter. At one stage, when we received a rare free kick (Heath Lawry), he found himself one-on-one and made a strong lead up the guts. Rather than kick long, a handpass was dished out which soon resulted in a turnover. Billy then ran to CHF and told his team mates to kick the f**king ball and to stop f**king around with it. (Apologies for the language).

This has been a major concern for Williamstown all year. To play on at all costs can be a major weapon, but when you tend to fumble (and often) they let themselves down and it has usually resulted in a turnover and generally an opposition goal. It wouldn't surprise me if Williamstown lead the comp in turnovers, that's how bad it is.

Still, the boys didn't give up but just couldn't breach the gap kicking against the wind.

WKB, if you look at the pic of Willo, is that you in the background?
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
President Ted Parker

Post by President Ted Parker »

Willy tried hard but were simply outclassed by a better football team. The crowd whinged all day at the umpires but it appeared to me that someone needs to get down to Williamstown and teach the players how to tackle correctly. Some of the crude attempts at grabbiing an opposition player around the head or throat or clumsily falling into their back was annoying to watch.

Zane leonard looks to be a good mover but you can't make a real judgement on him until he gets more game time. Now that willy's season is basically over lets hope the match committee can at least give him a full quarter at a time to get a feeling for the game.

Crow is a real work horse but needs to improve his disposal.

I would Like to see Billy play a little bit more a CHF even if it is just in short bursts. Kinnear is finished so let the kid have a bit of crack in that position in the last 2 games.

Both the Shaw boys show plenty.
I should have never been sacked as the president of the Collingwood Football Club.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Before anyone asks about McG, although he got another truck load of possessions, his disposal, by foot, was a disgrace. He seemed to have trouble finding a Williamstown player, but no trouble whatsoever in finding a Tassie player.

Hmm, maybe his favorite color is green!
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked