Round 15 vs Northern Bullants

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Dale61

Round 15 vs Northern Bullants

Post by Dale61 »

http://williamstown.footballvictoria.co ... leid=29032

Williamstown vs Northern Bullants
Date/Time: Sunday July 18, 2:00pm start
Venue: Preston City Oval, Cramer Street, Preston

Reserves:
Williamstown vs Northern Bullants
Date/Time: Sunday July 18, 11:10am start
Venue: Preston City Oval

After pulling off one of the upsets of the year last week with a 62 piont victory over arch rival Port Melbourne, Williamstown have a chance to slip into the top 8 when they travel to Cramer Street to take on the Northern Bullants.

The Seagulls were fantastic against the Borough and will be looking to make it two wins in a row, a feat the team has been unable to achieve all year.

However, the Bullants proved with their stirring away victory over Werribee that they cannot be taken lightly.

Everything will be on the line next Sunday as the loser will find it difficult to make the finals. It will make for a great game of football.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

B:
King ~ West ~ Butler

HB:
Jarrad ~ Walker ~ B. Shaw

C:
Cranage ~ Mullins ~ Theodore

HF:
McGough ~ Lawry ~ Williams

F:
Kinnear ~ Morrison ~ Smoker

R:
Crow ~ Shackleton ~ Lloyd

Inter:
Ashton ~ Hollow ~ McArdle ~ McKenzie
Nixon ~ Pearce ~ H. Shaw ~ Sheehan
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Final scores - Seniors:

Will: 3.0.18 ~ 7.6.48 ~ 7.9.51 ~ 11.16.82
NB: 6.1.37 ~ 10.4.64 ~ 15.8.98 ~ 15.10.100

Goals: King 3, Pearce 2, Morrison 2, Sheehan, Lloyd, Lawry, B.Shaw.
Best: Theodore, Lloyd, Cranage, Williams, Jarrad, Crow.

Final scores - Reserves:

Will: 5.6.36 ~ 7.8.50 ~ 13.11.83 ~ 18.16.124
NB: 1.1.7 ~ 4.3.27 ~ 7.4.46 ~ 7.4.46

Goals: Ramsay 3, Benson 3, Hollow 2, Dukes 2, Knight 2, McArdle, Proctor, Rippon, Uhi, Hall, Cape.
Best: Ralph, Hollow, Proctor, Ramsay, McKenzie, Rippon, Neeson.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Pics from todays games.

These from the reserves.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Pics from senior game.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

More pics from the senior game.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Matty

Post by Matty »

Good stuff Dale...

Just a couple of quick questions if you have the time.

Crow has been named in the best the last few weeks. That's mainly been playing as a ruck, though he has played down back a bit. Do you think he's much of a chance to be promoted in the absence of Wakelin, or think Walker is more likely to get the gig?

Also, Morrison, finally kicked a couple of goals. Did he look more likely this week? or just happen to slot a couple.

Did you catch the ressies? interested in the form of Hall.

Any info greatly appreciated, as are the stats/pics etc.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Matty, I'll answer your queries as best as I can.
Crow has been named in the best the last few weeks. That's mainly been playing as a ruck, though he has played down back a bit. Do you think he's much of a chance to be promoted in the absence of Wakelin, or think Walker is more likely to get the gig?
I'd stick with Walker. Considering he is still a 20 year old, he has years on his side, but he is now starting to realise what's needed from him as a key backman. I think he was played a little too early in his development and lost a lot of confidence.

Having said that, Justin could be a chance for promotion as we have lost a tall backman (Wakes), a ruckman (C2), who knows how long Taz will be out and Pebs is struggling with injury. McKee is a battler at best, so we would lose nothing in playing Crow in the senior 22.
Also, Morrison, finally kicked a couple of goals. Did he look more likely this week? or just happen to slot a couple.
Billy always presented with strong leads, but was ignored more often than not. His first goal came from a contested mark deep in the pocket, but his second came after a lead was accepted. When he leads, he leads from the square, so all he needs is to have the ball kicked to him and he will kick it from 50 (whether it's straight is another subject).
Did you catch the ressies? interested in the form of Hall.
Didn't realise Hall was playing until 3/4 time, but was more interested in seeing how David Fanning was playing on his return.

The last quarter dominance of Williamstown didn't allow the Bullants much of a chance inside the 50, and as Brent was playing at full back (I think), the only opportunity he had he took the mark and handpassed off to a running player.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Gomez

Post by Gomez »

D61,
Really appreciate the reports, pics & info.

Could I ask if you think there are any mid fielders or smaller players
coming through who could make a difference next year?
It seems to me we have plenty of big men to choose from, but we are getting beaten in the middle & around the packs.

Also, what about Jarred as a forward in the seniors?
Any chance next year?
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Midfielders and smaller players? Where do I start.

Mullins, Shack, B&H Shaw, King are racking up plenty of possessions, whereas McG is just too good at VFL level (even though he does have his bad days). McG consistently racks up 25+ disposals, but it is his disposal by foot that's really letting him down.

At this stage, I'd like to see Shack go up for O'Bree. Mullins seems to have a case of the fumbles and until he sorts that out, would be a liability. Kingy has been playing as a forward, and doing a good job, but I'd like to see him learn to play as a forward at Williamstown.

Luke Jarrad would be better suited on a wing, but he needs to be drafted first.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

Dale do u think there is any chance B.Hall could get a call up to the Willy Sen. with Maxwell & maybe Walker playing for Collingwood?

Whats Happened to Bo? is he going backwards? & do u think he's worth keeping next year with all the similar players we have?
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Hall might get a call-up before the season ends as he is now running out the whole game and is showing good form in defence. A bigger body than that of Tex, and quicker over the ground than Presti, he could become an excellent key position defender.

Bo is not playing to the same level as of late last season, or earlier this season. In fact, I think he has gone backwards in his progress.

Mullins is another that seems to have taken a step backwards in his progress. Yesterday, early in the game, he seemed to fumble the ball at every occasion, and thus, putting extra pressure on himself. Maybe it's a confidence thing, but whilst he is fumbling as much as he is, he wont get another senior game as he will be a liability.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
WKB

Post by WKB »

well summed up Dale, you are always spot on. Or at least agree with how I see the game.

a bitterly cold day at preston and I'm still undecided wether Im more dissappointed with the 2nd, 3rd or 4th quarters.

The second we should have kicked straighter and made more of an impact on the scoreboard. The 3rd was as bad as I've seen them play, not chasing, beaten to every contest. Or the 4th when the frustrated you by showing the way they can play and completely domintated the Bullants and for a couple of wayward (albiet tough) shots on goal they could have taken some points from the game.

Crow just continues to impress, a couple of time yesterday he was well and truly stuffed but he kept chasing and laid some great tackles.

The umpiring bordered on ridiculous. Most frustrating was no protection for the willy boys who had got to the ball first. there are a lot of ticky-touchwood holding the man etc that get you angry but the amount of times we had players with there head over the ball and cannoned into or players going up for a mark and getting smashed from behind was unbelievable and get's dangerous. The call on Dale's pic with the caption "The umpiring caused this" was spot on.
WKB

Post by WKB »

Dale where you sitting on the fence just on the fifty at the end that Willy kicked to in the last quarter next a stupid, over the top, loud, slightly angry, yet very passionate bloke and his mum, sister, her friend and baby niece? If so it was me and I'd like to apologise for my behaviour, I get a tad emotional at the footy. If not disregard.
WKB

Post by WKB »

Also your thoughts on Heath Shaw. Has been impressive. Strong hands for his size and has that mongrel about him. Some good skills and decent at ground level. Has continued to improve.