Round 14 vs Port Melbourne

All things Williamstown - once Collingwood's VFL partner.

Moderator: bbmods

Dale61

Round 14 vs Port Melbourne

Post by Dale61 »

Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

B:
King ~ West ~ Lokan

HB:
Lloyd ~ Walker ~ Jarrad

C:
Smoker ~ Mullins ~ Cranage

HF:
R. Shaw ~ Morrison ~ Williams

F:
H. Shaw ~ Kinnear ~ Nixon

R:
Crow ~ McGough ~ Shackleton

Inter:
Lawry ~ McArdle ~ McKenzie ~ Pearce
Rippon ~ B. Shaw ~ Sheehan ~ Theodore
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
onslaught

Post by onslaught »

Always love Port v Willy games... fiercely contested games.. and this should be no different. Williamstown must win to keep their finals hopes alive. For Port, its a chance to avenge last years Preliminary final defeat.

Lets hope the weather keeps out of this one :)
cheers,
onslaught
http://www.vflfooty.com
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

What an absolute pasting.

Williamstown did the unthinkable and gave Port a mother of all hidings to the tune of 62 points (considering their relative positions on the ladder).

However, the reserves were on the receiving end of a 63 point belting.

You win some, you lose some.

Final scores:
Williamstown: 8.3.51 ~ 12.7.79 ~ 21.9.135 ~ 24.14.158
Port Melbourne: 4.1.25 ~ 10.8.68 ~ 11.9.75 ~ 14.12.96

Goals: Lloyd 4, King 4, Cranage 2, Kinnear 2, Mullins 2, B.Shaw 2, H.Shaw 2, Jarrad, Smoker, R.Shaw, Lokan, Shackleton, Walker.
My Best: West, Lloyd, Cranage, McGough, Shackleton, King (plus plenty more).
Official Best: Crow, Lloyd, McGough, R.Shaw, Williams, Shackleton, B.Shaw.

Reserves:
Williamstown: 1.3.9 ~ 2.7.19 ~ 3.13.31 ~ 5.17.47
Port Melbourne: 4.4.28 ~ 8.6.54 ~ 14.10.94 ~ 16.14.110

Goals: Rippon 2, Hollow, Dukes, Palmer.

Best: Lee, Hall, Sheehan, Rippon.
Last edited by Dale61 on Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Cannibal

Post by Cannibal »

Dale, how did Tex play?

You've named MCG and Shacks in your best. What are their chances of a place in the seniors this Saturday against Brisbane to replace Dids?
Glory Glory Good Old Collingwood, Glory Glory Hallelujah,
Collingwood's The Greatest Team The World Has Ever Seen,
And The 'Pies Go Marching On (in Black and White Stripes Forever!).
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

24 Goals kicked and none For Billy. How did he play Dale?
Also do u know if B.Hall made he's return in the reserves?
Thanx.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

Also where did Kingy play?
4 goals sounds like a great effort.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Have just received the list of best players, and how I missed on giving Crow maximim votes is beyond me. Justin rucked all day, against David Hale and Corey McKernan, and soundly beat both.

Have edited my match results post to indicate official best players.

All other questions will be answered once I have finished editing todays pics, so please be patient.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Canberra

Post by Canberra »

Your usual excellent summary D61. Good to see Crow continuing the good form. It may be time for Stunner to retire to Willy and give Justin some game time with the big boys. It certainly didn't do Limo any harm and we may unearth another ruckman.
Do not adjust your mind. The fault is in reality.
d9 tank

Post by d9 tank »

Crow is still a rookie though isn't he?

Can he be promoted at this stage and would it be worth it? (I think it costs a decent ammount to promote a rookie)
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Just a quick match summary;

Against the odds, Williamstown gave Port a lesson on how to play Burbank Oval by handing out a proverbial flogging.

Considering the relative ladder positions, Port went in to the game short priced favorites, but Williamstown came out full of running to slam on eight first quarter goals, albeit with a 4-5 goal breeze at their backs. The first break saw the home side freshen up with a 26 point buffer.

Port hit back in the second with six goals of their own, but four goals to Williamstown had the Gulls in front by 11 points at the long break.

The breeze seemed to have died a touch come the start of the third, but long kicking from Williamstown (something they haven't done for quite some time) saw them kick an impressive 9-2 to a miserly 1-1 and literally have the game in the bag with a 10 goal lead at the last change.

The breeze then picked up as the western skies darkened, and rain would do Port's chances no good at all, but both defences tightened up as both sides managed to kick three goals apiece.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes D9, Justin is still on the rookie list, and after his performances over the past month, he deserves to be promoted, but whether he will is another question.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Dale,

I saw Billy Morrison named at CHF. Did he play there, and how did he go?
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

OK, I'll try to answer everyone's questions before I start posting todays game pics.

Cannibal wrote:
how did Tex play?
Tex played really well, and often drifted forward to help keep the ball in our scoring zone. Kicked a goal from the 50 metre line. Might be worth a look at CHF instead of C1.

The choice of McG or Shacks to play against The Cheats is a tough one for me to answer, but I'd go for Shacks as his body-on-body work (read: crunching tackles) might put a few of them off their game.

scoobydoo wrote:
24 Goals kicked and none For Billy. How did he play Dale?
Billy will always make a contest, and it was Billy's work whilst on the ground that helped us kick 24 goals. Playing at full forward, he was busting open the packs and bringing the ball to ground, and was always making himself a target, but Port played the Roo's type defence by having players drift in to defence and blocking Billy's runs.

scoobydoo wrote:
Also do u know if B.Hall made he's return in the reserves?
Brent played, and was amongst the best in a badly beaten team. Spent a lot of time at full back and was difficult to get past.

scoobydoo wrote:
Also where did Kingy play?
From where I was sitting, Kingy was playing across half forward. His performance today answered a lot of critics and maybe he could get a recall for Didak, playing as a forward.

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
I saw Billy Morrison named at CHF. Did he play there, and how did he go?
Billy played at full forward, with BK moving down the ground to CHF. BK is better suited at CHF at this level due to his mobility, and to be honest, has played some good football in the past few weeks.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Cannibal

Post by Cannibal »

Thanks, Dale.

It's good to hear about Crow. I have him "tagged" to be elevated to the senior list if Dids is to be treated with caution and doesn't play again this season. I'd prefer to see him in the seniors than McKee.

If Tex comes into the side between now and the end of the season, I'd prefer him to replace Wakelin, 30 in August and a candidate for delisting in my opinion. I see Tex and Clokey as backline starters next season.

Agree with Shacks to step up in Dids place next week. I like his playing style and he's put the runs on the board over an extended period. If a player is in consistently good form at Willi, he should be first in line to be considered for a place in the seniors.

Nice to hear your opinion about BK. I think we need a third tall to replace Cam Cloke and if he's playing well, then should be considered.

We'll see what eventuates during the week.
Glory Glory Good Old Collingwood, Glory Glory Hallelujah,
Collingwood's The Greatest Team The World Has Ever Seen,
And The 'Pies Go Marching On (in Black and White Stripes Forever!).
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Pics from the reserves game.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked