Trade Winds: Dan Houston

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

SLORT
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 102 times

Re: Trade Winds: Dan Houston

Post by SLORT »

stui magpie wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:52 pm
You get quality draft picks by bottoming out for a year or 2, which we don't want to do, so it seems we're going to try to defy gravity like Geelong.
Which means trading in AAA grade players like Danger and JC. We've tried, wo many times (Roos, Lockett, Judd, Stevens, Bailey Smith, etc) it just seems as though we never land any available big fish. It's why I'm wary of the Geelong model. We've done well with getting the most out of our money-ball role players but the keys to our success has always been built on finding future champions in the draft proper.
Haff
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Haff »

Personally I dont fear Carlton's lifting of their offer. They want to take their first rounder to the draft and next years first in a draft that isnt as strong isnt as tasty.

The battle is for GC's pick 13. Nobel and our future first is again a tastier offer (for mine) as they dont want picks, they want players. Houston for Nobel and a future first (when we get our man Mcguane anyway) is a good deal mine. I think we're in the box seat.

The only thing that will pip us is if he nominates Carlton.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Haff

Post by Haff »

GC list manager and I quote "We're keen to talk to the clubs we're chasing players from". Sounds like the box seat to me!
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Jezza
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 269 times

Post by Jezza »

Leppa sounded confident we can recruit him.

https://x.com/traderadio/status/1843086 ... -october-7

Check out what your club had to say below.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1241340

Hopefully this rings true.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Culprit
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Culprit »

Port want a first round pick. We won’t get a first rounder for Richard’s and Noble. The combined picks still won’t get a first rounder.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 182 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^yes, but Port also don't want any deal involving their priority player in Lukosius to fall over by stonewalling.
It'll happen, we just need to stand back from the deal and take a wider look at the trade board and what is required for the deals to be done so all parties are satisfied.

Carlton is over a barrel a bit as they can't compromise their father sons. They've reportedly tabled their future first and second-round picks up for grabs for the Gold Coast #13 selection. That'd allow them to get into the Houston mix.

We're still well positioned given Richards is a required player for Port. I could see us swapping picks #36 & #39 as part of the exchange to also include Houston + our F1st by the time the closing trade bell sounds. It'll be a photo finish either way.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Haff

Post by Haff »

Culprit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 12:52 pm Port want a first round pick. We won’t get a first rounder for Richard’s and Noble. The combined picks still won’t get a first rounder.
Yes we will. Basically we'll swap next years first for this years first and Noble. Perhaps get a second rounder back or something.
Richards and that first rounder for Houston. Done deal.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by piffdog »

So if you are Port, the question is whether Carlton's F1, F2 picks is more appealing than this year's F1 from GC and Richards... (have I got that right?). Remember Port and Carlton are also apparently butting heads...

I would have thought the certainty around our offer (in that circumstance) was more enticing?

The only thing I would like to see is a seconed or third round sweetener coming back our way. We stand to lose F1 pick, Noble, Richards and just get Houston in return... Seems like slightly overs unless we could get a little something back (perhaps from GC?) in exchange.

As an aside, I have no idea how Carlton could afford Houston anyway given their top liners on $1m (apparently). Still not sure what else Carlton throw in the mix. If they give away F1, F2, to get GC #13 this year - surely that by itself is not enough for Houston.

Separately, I wonder if Houston has a preference in mind, but has not yet made it known puiblicly pending the negotiations that are happening... I would almost guarantee that him and his manager have a preference, but it serves nobody to make that public until it looks like a deal can get done (imagine him saying "I want to go to Carlton and its only Collingwood left who can transact"). If we hear anything form his camp, thats probably a clue that its almost done
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

This morning I read a snippet on X ( I can't find the link), it said Dan toured the club for a second time on the weekend.
He had told Port that he is willing to stay with Port if a trade to vic can't be facilitated. This weekend's visit (if true) is important.

And BTW, just realised he is suspended for the first 5 games next season.
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by mattdally »

He only misses the first round.
He missed round 24 and Port's 3 finals
SLORT
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by SLORT »

On the positive side If North somehow get him, perhaps we can try to get one of those 1st round picks in a package deal with Richards? Would at least give us two rods in the fire, in case the Noble trade doesn't get 13.

Actually that seems highly unlikely. Reckon NM won't give up number 2, and even if they did PA wouldn't package that for Richards. So it'd be a future first which PA is already saying ain't gonna cut it from the Boohoos.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Jezza wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 12:15 pm Leppa sounded confident we can recruit him.
I like confidence but geez big words from a first time list manager! Hopefully there's no egg here and we can make it work. As someone said above this definitely has the sound of an all round win win mega trade with Noble to GC, Lukosius to PA, Richards to PA and pick swaps. Hopefully it comes off and we can get a bit more out of it in return.

And if we end up with GC's pick 13 but miss out on Houston, I'd target the KPF in Lord.

And if that doesn't come off, I'd sign up a clothing range sponsorship deal with Cotton On and trade P13 to the Dogs for Bailey Smith who are looking for that pick anyway as they have another target themselves.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Johnno75
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Jay Clark reporting that GC are dealing with us over pick 13 as they want Noble. If we get this pick Dan will be signed sealed and delivered. Port will take this with Richards, obviously there will be a swap of later picks to facilitate the 3 clubs
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 33 times

Post by think better »

FWIW Robbo has Houston as 23rd in his top fifty
I think therefore I think - I think
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Love to get Houston! Sad to see Joe go, but we matched his offer from Port and he still wants to go so farewell and good luck. TBH, I’m happy to see a player who’s played only 10 games but already asking big money get traded for a better player. Houston can take contested marks, we need that more.