Trade Winds: Dan Houston

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 33 times

Post by think better »

Report in the Adelaide Advertiser that we are going after Dan Houston - things have stalled between Port and Carlton. The story goes we hopefully get pick 13 for Noble and use that to trade on - an arrangement with Richards going to Port is also in the mix so might be more trade swaps or another player in the mix.
I think therefore I think - I think
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 182 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^I do wonder if an S.A. lad in 2022 draft pick #28 Jaykob Ryan gets thrown into the mix. He's raw but certainly in the same mould as Houston.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
stui magpie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by stui magpie »

^
That's what I'm reading, but I'm not sold on Houston. He's a good player but at 186cm he's hardly a KPD.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Culprit
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Culprit »

stui magpie wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 6:57 am ^
That's what I'm reading, but I'm not sold on Houston. He's a good player but at 186cm he's hardly a KPD.
Same, despite the Hysteria.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 33 times

Post by think better »

I've been to a few Port games and he is a gun. He's definitely not a Key Position but can play a bit tall and small. One of the best kicks in the game and loves to take it on. Would really fit the McCrae mould
I think therefore I think - I think
RudeBoy
Been liked: 103 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Houston is an AA player. Nuff said.
Pies2016
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Agree he’s very good at what he does but my biggest concern will be what it would have cost us to trade in #13 and then give Port more again ( likely Richards ) in order to secure him. Nothing official yet of course but if the deal goes ahead, it will be very interesting to see the net outcome of that trade. That’s what worries me with any Houston trade.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
5:11pm
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Trade Winds: Dan Houston

Post by 5:11pm »

Noble and our future first to GC for pick 13, and a third round.
Pick 13 and Richards to Port for Houston and some later exchanges to be ironed out, is the word.
Presti35
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Presti35 »

^Wonder if Lord/Fiorini will end up in there somewhere?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by piffdog »

5:11pm wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:54 am Noble and our future first to GC for pick 13, and a third round.
Pick 13 and Richards to Port for Houston and some later exchanges to be ironed out, is the word.

You have succinctly put into words what I was imagining… I’d like to see Houston at our club, we won’t know whether we paid too much or too little for about 5 years tho. So we’d effectively be giving up Noble, Richards, and our future first offset slightly by the third rounder coming back. Let’s assume we can make a prelim in 25, so that first rounder would be ~#14, diluted to 20ish?

Noble, Richards and #20 for Houston sounds like a lot, but I think those fringe players always tend to get thrown in with little value recognition.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Out of interest, Dan Houston finished fifth in Ports B and F last night. He was only one vote behind Rozee who finished fourth. Houston also missed the last couple games due to suspension.
Not sure what that means in the scheme of things but I don’t see how Port could ask for any more than #13 in a great draft and Joe Richards.
stui magpie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by stui magpie »

No way would I agree to Noble and our FF1 for Pick 12-13. Lets not forget that Suns want Noble. How much are they prepared to pay for a contracted player? I know Noble isn't realistically worth Pick 12 on his own, but when you are trying to pry contracted players out of clubs, you have to pay overs.We can do some other pick swaps but not our FF1. Are we even allowed to trade that anyway? Isn't or wasn't there a rule about how many times you could trade out your first pick over a 3 or 4 year period?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Ohh dear Lord, kick 5 goals in the 2025 Coll Vs Carlton GF.

Kick the last goal to beat Carlton by 1 point in the dying seconds after great play from Heuston and Kennedy.

Then I'm ready to leave this earth. :-))
SLORT
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by SLORT »

Charlie Oneeye wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:22 pm Ohh dear Lord, kick 5 goals in the 2025 Coll Vs Carlton GF.

Kick the last goal to beat Carlton by 1 point in the dying seconds after great play from Heuston and Kennedy.

Then I'm ready to leave this earth. :-))
^I think you're already out there...
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

stui magpie wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:14 pm No way would I agree to Noble and our FF1 for Pick 12-13. Are we even allowed to trade that anyway? Isn't or wasn't there a rule about how many times you could trade out your first pick over a 3 or 4 year period?
I’d be confident we would get something extra from GCS, HOPEFULLY their current pick 29 or maybe what they secure for the Lukosuis trade.
One thing is for sure, they don’t need picks, so I don’t envisage feeling too hard done by when the dust settles on that trade.

I’m with you on holding onto our F1 and I posted elsewhere as to the reasons why we should hold it BUT securing Houston will be difficult without it.
For mine, the real question is, why are we investing so heavily in another HBF (as good as he is).

The rule you’re referring to is the “ two in four “ rule where you need to have selected a first round pick in any two of the last four rolling drafts.
We’re fine because both Allan and Dimattia were considered first round selections ( Harry at #25 ended up being the last pick of round one, which is ridiculous in itself ) Nick also falls in line with that rule too.
The other rule we need to keep an eye on is the restrictions regarding future trading ( this is the last year before change )
Once we trade out our F1, we can’t trade out any more selections from that next draft. i.e. should we trade out our F1, then we must hold onto an F2 and F3 in that upcoming draft ( although they can be pick swaps from other clubs )