Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Jamie is only 19
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by Jamie is only 19 »

@warburton lad We need to be getting game time into Smit rather than Preuss
Smells like Pies Spirit
SLORT
Has liked: 182 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by SLORT »

Pies2016 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 11:09 am From Dees perspective, given all their recent bad press, they really can’t afford to let Oliver go unless it was a really good trade outcome in return..
According SEN Oliver burnt another olive branch with his behavior at the Brownlow. May be the leadership group is taking a hand and shoving him out the door.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 70 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

trade rumours today have Garcia staying at the dogs as they think Richards is going to Port.
I still want Joe to stay but that could be an interesting trade now if it eventuates given all the media about Chris Davies, Ollie Lord and Dan Houston in the same arena with us pinching Perryman out from under their nose.
Can Joe Richards net a better draft pick than the one we used to pick him?
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Presti35
Has liked: 255 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Presti35 »

Peatling nominates the Crows.

Shame.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... orini.html

We came close to getting Fiorini at the end of the 2022 season. We got Tom Mitchell instead. He wanted to get to Collingwood, but I'm not sure how damaging he is as a player. Has been ok in patches. Is now 27. Has 1 year to go on his deal, but wants out.

No doubt the Suns will offer him in the Nobel deal.
stui magpie
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by stui magpie »

warburton lad wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:42 pm Ok-let's at least consider the possibility of offering Brayden Preuss 29 year old ruckman- 206cm and 114kg beast delisted by GWS-
Preuss has made a good income by going to clubs as the back up ruck and rarely ever performing at AFL level. Yeah he's a beast but he's never been able to get the No1 spot anywhere and rather than trying to go to a club where he could be No1 he's always been content to be a (very) well paid back up.

At best I'd rookie list him to play VFL mainly, protect Smit and Steene against the big bastard rucks in the VFL while they develop and be a break glass in case of emergency for the AFL side, provided he can actually get fit.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

warburton lad wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:42 pm Let's at least consider the possibility of offering Brayden Preuss 29 year old ruckman- 206cm and 114kg beast delisted by GWS- so can be picked up as a Delisted Free Agent next week- not draft capital required...
I've looked at Pruess. When I first saw this, I thought no way. I thought why bring in a guy that isnt going to play in the seniors. I did suggest Goldstein last year and even a few weeks ago before he re-signed with Essendon, but I thought at least Goldy can still perform at the top level if required, even at his age.

So can Pruess still perform at this level? If we look at that Fort has just done with the Lions, and that is just to compete in the ruck... well that went pretty well for him. So backup ruckman should not be shrugged off too quickly. But they need to be able to compete at the high level.
stui magpie wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 6:30 pm At best I'd rookie list him to play VFL mainly, protect Smit and Steene against the big bastard rucks in the VFL while they develop and be a break glass in case of emergency for the AFL side, provided he can actually get fit.
Is he going to stand in the way of their development though? Like is it any good to play him in the ruck while those two sit back and watch? I mean I suppose if we needed to bring in a ruckman because of injury, then we'd be better off bringing in someone that's ready to go, rather than a Smit or Steene that still need time. So it's a bit of a weird one. I've been to VFL games when there's been 4 ruckman playing, its odd. But he would be in front of those guys if a call-up was needed.

He's 29 and absolutely massive and still in shape. He used to be fast for a big guy, is that still the case? Is a backup ruckman something we need to address? If it is then this could be a good answer. Is there anyone else that could fill the role?
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Presti35 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 5:13 pm Peatling nominates the Crows.

Shame.
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... s/?cs=9465
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Presti35 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 5:29 pm https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... orini.html

We came close to getting Fiorini at the end of the 2022 season. We got Tom Mitchell instead. He wanted to get to Collingwood, but I'm not sure how damaging he is as a player. Has been ok in patches. Is now 27. Has 1 year to go on his deal, but wants out.

No doubt the Suns will offer him in the Nobel deal.
I wonder if the "uncertainty" comments from the Lachie Sullivan camp partly reflect that.
Perhaps the Suns have responded with a straight player swap. I'd need some convincing 2015 #20 draft pick, 187cm 82kg Fiorini makes us a better side, given to date he hasn't been able to force is way into a star-studded GCS engine room. We don't need another player caught in the AFL / VFL form revolving door. Macrae has that well and truly covered but I reckon Fiorini's still an upgrade there, as the one thing Fiorini has always been able to do is find the football and he has a lovely left foot.
He was more recently moved in his role with the GCS as a ball-hunter to a distributor, so maybe that's something we could explore. Supporters on the GC say the former Greensborough-VIC product is a good Club man.
Might he be considered an incumbent replacement for Sidebottom given Fiorini played both as an inside midfielder and on the wing and is a proven gut runner lending him to fill a role as a link player.
It would make sense until such time our recent crop of draftees develops, and we play out this so-called flag contention window?

Player Statistics Comparison
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... =S&fid2=S
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Post by warburton lad »

I agree with Mr Laurie Holden.

Brayden Fiorini (186cms and 82kgs) is better than: Bytel, Sullivan and Long and, yes, he could become a regular wingman for the Pies.

Similarly, Curtis Taylor (188cms and 80kgs) is better than Bytel, Sullivan and Long and could play as a wingman/utility.

One of the two above would be good additions and provide a better quality of senior depth..

I still think that the Magpies are after someone in this Delisted Free Agent/ Trade Period who has not been discussed as yet. Tim Membrey would be a solid addition and don't be shocked if Stringer was a last minute Trade get.

Pies fans seem to have forgotten that we acquired Iliro Smit 200cms and 80kgs in the Mid Season Draft- he would have gone Top Ten in this Draft...

A clean bill of health for our list and some new blood will see us back in contention for 2025- of that I am certain... Floreat Pica.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
RudeBoy
Been liked: 98 times

Post by RudeBoy »

The bottom line is we need to inject a minimum of 3 new senior players into our team, just to tread water.
In 2023 we added 4 players in Mitchell, Hill, Frampton and McStay, who ALL contributed to our Premiership victory.
This last year, however, we really only added Schultz as a regular senior player. The other newbies in Sullivan, Bytel, Dean and Long, were all exposed as simply good VFL players imo.
Assuming Perryman becomes a regular senior player (and on close to $900,000 pa he'll surely be that???), we require a minimum of 2 other senior additions to our team.
I'm unsure who they might be, but to be honest, none of the names floating around in the media fill me with much excitement. Hopefully, our club will pull a surprise or two.
jatsad
Been liked: 16 times

Post by jatsad »

@RudeBoy Think you're a bit premature on Dean. He should have another pre-season under his belt next year so have high hopes for him.
Wasn't best young player in the VFL a few years back for no reason.
Jatsad - That is all
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 125 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Battle went to Hawthorn from St Kilda as a UFA. Somehow, St Kilda has received first round compensation - presently pick eight. That's a bit startling for a bloke who is about to turn twenty-six, averaged under eighteen disposals per game, kicked only three goals and averaged a tackle a game. He's a "mobile defender" who did well in the B and F of a team that didn't make Finals. They need to do away with free agent compensation. GSWS is going to get two big picks for losing Perrryman and Cummins, by the looks of things.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

What do Nicksters think about the value of nabbing delisted Saint Riley Bonner as a backup defender? Is he worth a punt?
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 125 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Indeed, Perryman's move to us has netted GWS pick sixteen. The suggestion is that we had to offer six-year deal with a starting salary of around nine hundred-thousand dollars per year for their compensation to be that high.