Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by Big T »

Would love SDK at the Pies, massive upside and a competitive beast.
Buon Giorno
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 53 times

Post by warburton lad »

Ok-

Let's at least consider the possibility of offering Brayden Preuss 29 year old ruckman- 206cm and 114kg beast delisted by GWS- so can be picked up as a Delisted Free Agent next week- not draft capital required...

If he comes back fit and well, he gives us an authentic ruck back up to Cox and Cameron as Steene develops in the VFL.

Perryman and Preuss would both add qualities that the AFL team can utilise.

We simply need to get better by introducing talent either by draft or picking up 'freebies' who add something.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Jamie is only 19
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Jamie is only 19 »

warburton lad wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:42 pm Ok-

Let's at least consider the possibility of offering Brayden Preuss 29 year old ruckman- 206cm and 114kg beast delisted by GWS- so can be picked up as a Delisted Free Agent next week- not draft capital required...

If he comes back fit and well, he gives us an authentic ruck back up to Cox and Cameron as Steene develops in the VFL.

We simply need to get better by introducing talent either by draft or picking up 'freebies' who add something.
We need to be getting game time into Smit rather than Preuss
Smells like Pies Spirit
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by shawthing »

If the trade mail is correct most of the players requesting a trade want to go to Geelong. Why? Now Oliver wants to go there. Can someone explain to me how they fit all these players under their salary cap?
Pies2016
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Pies2016 »

shawthing wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:29 am If the trade mail is correct most of the players requesting a trade want to go to Geelong. Why? Now Oliver wants to go there. Can someone explain to me how they fit all these players under their salary cap?
Bailey Smiths Geelong contract will be offset by Cotton On. They are a major sponsor of Geelong and Smith is one of the faces of Cotton On. Geelong will simply establish an arrangement with Cotton On to increase Smiths C O “ exposure “ and C O will be the ones who pay a portion of his overall contract with Geelong. It’s not salary cap abuse, it’s just creative, so there’s nothing to see here with Smith.
As for Oliver, I don’t see how he gets to Geelong without them releasing a decent player from their list. They’ve also committed to Jack Martin, so there’s another new contract.
From Dees perspective, given all their recent bad press, they really can’t afford to let Oliver go unless it was a really good trade outcome in return and that’s another area the Cats fall short on. The Cats do it well but at some point, you can’t continue to squeeze blood out of a stone.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
SLORT
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by SLORT »

Pies2016 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 11:09 am From Dees perspective, given all their recent bad press, they really can’t afford to let Oliver go unless it was a really good trade outcome in return..
According SEN Oliver burnt another olive branch with his behavior at the Brownlow. May be the leadership group is taking a hand and shoving him out the door.
Presti35
Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Presti35 »

Peatling nominates the Crows.

Shame.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

RE: Smith/Cotton On, I thought this sort of thing was now banned after the Judd/Visy fiasco.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Pies2016 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 11:09 amBailey Smiths Geelong contract will be offset by Cotton On. They are a major sponsor of Geelong and Smith is one of the faces of Cotton On. Geelong will simply establish an arrangement with Cotton On to increase Smiths C O “ exposure “ and C O will be the ones who pay a portion of his overall contract with Geelong. It’s not salary cap abuse, it’s just creative, so there’s nothing to see here with Smith.
That doesn't really explain it though, coz if they can do it, so can every other club. It can't be a uniquely Geelong thing
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 5:16 pm
Pies2016 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 11:09 amBailey Smiths Geelong contract will be offset by Cotton On. They are a major sponsor of Geelong and Smith is one of the faces of Cotton On. Geelong will simply establish an arrangement with Cotton On to increase Smiths C O “ exposure “ and C O will be the ones who pay a portion of his overall contract with Geelong. It’s not salary cap abuse, it’s just creative, so there’s nothing to see here with Smith.
That doesn't really explain it though, coz if they can do it, so can every other club. It can't be a uniquely Geelong thing
Absolutely every club can do it but how often do we have a situation where a clubs prime trade target is also the face of their major sponsor. It’s a perfect fit and while there are plenty of ways to skin a cat, this is how Smiths salary will be “ complemented “ at Geelong.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... orini.html

We came close to getting Fiorini at the end of the 2022 season. We got Tom Mitchell instead. He wanted to get to Collingwood, but I'm not sure how damaging he is as a player. Has been ok in patches. Is now 27. Has 1 year to go on his deal, but wants out.

No doubt the Suns will offer him in the Nobel deal.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Presti35 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 5:14 pm RE: Smith/Cotton On, I thought this sort of thing was now banned after the Judd/Visy fiasco.
There’s nothing to really ban. Cotton On will give him more work and pay him accordingly but the “ deal “ to give him more work comes from Geelong. Potentially, the Cats simply give C O a bit more bang for their buck in the corporate boxes ( or whatever )
If I remember rightly, the difference was Judd did absolutely zero for his “ ambassadorial “ role, while Smith has been a face of C O for a number of years. All C O are doing, is stepping up his profile and using him more often.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

^That still isn't right. How can the AFL say it's ok for a player to go to a club if a clothing company offers him more cash if he plays for that club?
stui magpie
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by stui magpie »

warburton lad wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:42 pm Ok-

Preuss has made a good income by going to clubs as the back up ruck and rarely ever performing at AFL level. Yeah he's a beast but he's never been able to get the No1 spot anywhere and rather than trying to go to a club where he could be No1 he's always been content to be a (very) well paid back up.

At best I'd rookie list him to play VFL mainly, protect Smit and Steene against the big bastard rucks in the VFL while they develop and be a break glass in case of emergency for the AFL side, provided he can actually get fit.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Piesnchess »

shawthing wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:29 am If the trade mail is correct most of the players requesting a trade want to go to Geelong. Why? Now Oliver wants to go there. Can someone explain to me how they fit all these players under their salary cap?

yeh, and how the hell can they afford Oliver, Bailey smith, jack martin, bloody hell, dont handbaggers have a salary cap down at Sleepy Hollow, something not right there, they have to be fiddling the books, paying cash under the table, like Judd had with Visy yrs ago, I smell a big rort down there. ! :o :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.