Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

SLORT
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 90 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player discussion

Post by SLORT »

Brisbane Lions post Matthews (2009-2018) had a 10 year run that resulted in 68 wins 151 losses. A lot of this was based upon hubris with list management, ie not planning well for the future post their champion players. There is a balance that needs to be maintained. Hopefully Fly and co. know this and are being thoughtful with their decisions. I mean in 2004 who would have thought it'd take Brisbane 20yrs to win another flag?

I personally would like to see us draft Armstrong or Whitlock, depending where our first draft pick lands. Though I guess if it (and not much more) could land us O.Lord ("won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz..."), and the club has done its "due diligence", then that'd be probably okay as well.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

I actually like Kane Cornes. Doesn't mean I agree with everything he says - but thats ok isnt it? I think his observations about our list and the need to rebuild are valid, and indeed expressed frequently by some on this forum. Clearly the coaching froup and management have a different view near term and given they are actually making the decisions thats the way we will go.

He doesn't trigger me in the slightest. He may be proven right, he may be proven wrong. Won't change my life one little bit.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
jonmac1954
Been liked: 19 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

piffdog wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:00 am I actually like Kane Cornes. Doesn't mean I agree with everything he says - but thats ok isnt it? I think his observations about our list and the need to rebuild are valid, and indeed expressed frequently by some on this forum. Clearly the coaching froup and management have a different view near term and given they are actually making the decisions thats the way we will go.

He doesn't trigger me in the slightest. He may be proven right, he may be proven wrong. Won't change my life one little bit.
Cornes is a ratbag, desperate to sensationalize any mis step by player or club to advance his own status.

Low life leech.
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mattdally »

I actually think McRae's point about not wanting to hit the draft is more of an internal view that the people doing the selecting at the table have no idea.
History would agree with that. He doesn't trust them to make the right call.

At least with evidence, you can see what you are getting at AFL level.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

The better the draft pick the higher the percentage of success. The statistics are out there.

We don't have a good draft hand, and YES, the draft is deep, but the best start we could hope for is pick 12, followed by 33..etc.

We could at best hope for a 50% success rate and even then we don't know what calibre of player we will have who manages 100 games.

I love young kids, who doesn't want a crack at the next Wayne Carey ? Given the state of our list, and IMO recent draft outcomes, is this the type of draft hand where our picks are better spent on known quantities?
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mattdally »

According to Cal Twoomey - Perryman has chosen Collingwood. Will be official on Friday when Free Agency opens.
Great get.
jonmac1954
Been liked: 19 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

SLORT wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 8:28 am Brisbane Lions post Matthews (2009-2018) had a 10 year run that resulted in 68 wins 151 losses. A lot of this was based upon hubris with list management, ie not planning well for the future post their champion players. There is a balance that needs to be maintained. Hopefully Fly and co. know this and are being thoughtful with their decisions. I mean in 2004 who would have thought it'd take Brisbane 20yrs to win another flag?

I personally would like to see us draft Armstrong or Whitlock, depending where our first draft pick lands. Though I guess if it (and not much more) could land us O.Lord ("won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz..."), and the club has done its "due diligence", then that'd be probably okay as well.
Who would have thought?

You only had to factor in the effect of losing the ridiculously high and obscenely long propping up from the AFL.
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

And still NSW and QLD have their entire states to share between 2 clubs as do WA and SA, but Vic clubs have to share between 10 clubs.
They whinge about travel all the time, but not this massive abnormality.
Jatsad - That is all
SLORT
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by SLORT »

^The top thirty players in this years draft ~

Allies (3):
Leonardo Lombard (11) – Suns Academy
Jobe Shanahan (16)
Sam Marshall (24) – Lions Academy

South Australia (2):
Sid Draper (5)
Alex Dodson (22)

Vic Country (12):
Finn O’Sullivan (3)
Sam Lalor (7)
Harvey Langford (10)
Xavier Lindsay (14)
Tobie Travaglia (15)
Joe Berry (17)
Alix Tauru (19)
Jack Whitlock (20)
Cooper Hynes (21)
Matt Whitlock (26)
Noah Mraz (29)
Lachie Jaques (30)

Vic Metro (12):
Jagga Smith (1)
Levi Ashcroft (2) – Brisbane F/S
Josh Smillie (4)
Murphy Reid (6)
Luke Trainor (8)
Taj Hotton (12)
Isaac Kako (13) – Essendon NGA
Harry Armstrong (18)
Christian Moraes (23)
Tom Gross (25)
Jesse Dattoli (27)
Harrison Oliver (28)

Western Australia (1):
Bo Allan (9)
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

Perryman —-then what other free angency players are in the plans
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Apparently Clayton Oliver may well be on the market again, and has been linked to Geelong.

If they land both Oliver and Bailey Smith, there needs to be a Royal Commission...
Presti35
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by Presti35 »

^ Hawkins, Rohan, and Tuohy coming off the books helps them.

The problem is where their trade chips are going to come from. If Smith is gonna be 2 first rounders, what are they giving up for Oliver??
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

^^

Even though we all heard the crap from Melbourne about “we love Clayton”, “claytons not going anywhere” - I suspect Geelong have been looking into a trade for 12 months. We also heard from Melbourne they have “the best culture anyone has ever been a part of in sports”. Where there is smoke there is fire. Suspect the vibe is toxic.

I also suspect Melbourne may be happy to see Oliver move for not much if Geelong take all his salary. Dont ask me how they can afford that…

If the start of season 2026 sees the Dees with no Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw and an ageing Gawn they have well and truly missed their window.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Did someone say S D K ???
( Sam DeKoning )
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
derkd
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by derkd »

^ I think that is a valid point, IF (bucket of salt here) if the Clayton Oliver scuttle is true...I think SDK will be on the move, he will be worth 2 first rounders, which would be the cost of Oliver....are Geelong really that silly? Give up a gun back man....for a midfielder with giant upside, also giant red warning sirens?
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.