Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Re: Thinking ahead to 2024 draft...(and beyond)

Post by Pies2016 »

Just another layer to add to our draft machinations is the strong showing of two Suns Academy players in the U17 Futures G F curtain raiser.
Given both their performances, I have no doubt the Suns would have considerable interest in our future first rounder during this trade period. Should Collingwood choose to trade out their F1, then I fully expect the Suns would have parted with their pick 12 as part of any exchange. Watch this space.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 51 times

Post by warburton lad »

Noble, future first and Pick 33 out in exchange for Gold Coast Picks 12, 20 and 37 In

If Joe Richards goes to Port, we get Pick 36.
Bundle Picks 48 & 51 for Brisbane's future 3rd
Trade Picks 36 & 37 to Carlton for Pick 31 and a future 3rd

This would give us a 2024 draft hand of 12,20,31 and 84

Draft Harry Armstrong and one of the Whitlock twins(would prefer Matt Whitlock- 199cm defender who can swing forward) with 12 & 20- and hope that Noah Mraz (198cm defender) or Christian Moraes (183cm wingman- slides to pick 31

Obtain Perryman (186cms & 84kgs) as Unrestricted Free Agent

Losses: Noble, Richards, Future First and Picks 33, 36,37,48, 51

Gains: Picks 12, 20, 31 and Future 3rds (Brisbane & Carlton)
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

If this eventuates, I would be very happy with this but given Fly's players over picks comments this week it would seem we'd be chasing Houston, Lord + others with one or more of those picks instead
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
SLORT
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by SLORT »

I want a DNA test of Armstrong. We may be able to get him under father-son...

Magpie Russ
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Port want Lukosius
Gold Coast want Noble
Collingwood want Houston

There is synergy there.

Current Picks:
Port Adelaide: 36, 54
GC: 6, 12, 20, 26, 38, 46, 74
Collingwood: 33, 48, 51

The Suns want a first-rounder for Jack Lukosius, the Power want that and more for Dan Houston.

Gold Coast’s willingness to pay part of Jack Lukosius’ contract will likely impact trade negotiations with Port Adelaide.

Can we pay some of Noble contract (contracted till 2026) to offset GCs contribution? Using salary cap to improve our bargaining position to get Pick 12 instead of giving up our Future 1st, in this deal anyway.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

If we get pick #12 we could land Taj Hotton...According to rookie central he's currently ranked at that number. Imagine picking at that old wound. Tony Shaw would have a stroke.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

I imagine at some point early in the trade period, we will end up with one only of the Suns pick 12 ( Noble + ?? ) OR pick 20 ( Noble as something close to a straight swap )
Either of those picks are significant in this draft. The club can then either trade on for a ready made quality footballer or take it to the draft in a strong pool of talent. Flys comments would have you believe we’d prefer to trade on but other than Houston, there’s no one who has publicly declared they are looking for a new home, who is worth departing with either of those picks ( the Lord talk has been driven by Collingwood supporters, not Lord )
Watch for the pick split where we trade in a “ needs “ player for either 12 or 20 and we then receive that player plus a later pick back in return ( maybe even a future, especially if we trade out our F1 )
In a draft where the “ experts “ are saying there’s more talent than usual in the thirties, it wouldn’t surprise if we load up with all our picks in the thirties and forties this year.
The good news is, if we don’t move on either 12 or 20, at least we will have something to get excited about on night one. This year pick 20 is set as the last pick of round one but will likely blow out to 24 or 25 on the night ( after bids and F A compensation )
Presti35
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Presti35 »

SLORT wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:08 am If we get pick #12 we could land Taj Hotton...According to rookie central he's currently ranked at that number. Imagine picking at that old wound. Tony Shaw would have a stroke.
Racking the brain here... the old man Trent came to training half pissed? And got the nickname Trent Hothead? Olli Hotton fell to pick 35, but was expected to be much higher? (We took Jakon Ryan at 28 and Ed Allan at 18). I'd be somewhat shocked if we drafted Taj.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

Presti35 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 2:46 pm Racking the brain here... the old man Trent came to training half pissed?
If I remember it rightly the rumor was that Trent, after getting the boot, sold out Tony's playbook. At the time we were doing a lot of set play type of ball movement and we were improving. Suddenly it all went sideways, the spoon, and badda-bing badda-boom Tony's gone. And to rub salt in the wound Hotton got another go a couple of years later with Carlton. Don't know how true it was, but they were the rumors and it seemed to explain a lot.
stui magpie
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

I recall the playbook rumours but the rumour was it wasn't alcohol he was under the influence of, allegedly more of a tablet type substance.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Culprit
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Culprit »

I remember Alan Richardson talking Trent into playing at East Burwood. Trent had a cracker of a year and helped win the Premiership and was picked up by the Blues. I catch up with Trent a few times a year at past player functions. He's never mentioned anything to me about the playbook. I will ask him when I next catch up with him. He's very calm these days and I feel his experience has helped his kids. I can't see us looking at Taj simply because he isn't 194cm plus.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Wouldn’t help that he’s currently recovering from an ACL. Taj has got some serious tricks but his knee injury will likely see him slide a few spots down the order though.