Trade Winds: Matthew Kennedy

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

5:11pm wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:12 pm Perryman and Kennedy are on the way …
If we land both then we would have depth in the midfield like we haven’t had in ages
Interesting that Carlton are now sort of saying they didn’t tell Kennedy to look elsewhere they said he wouldn’t be getting the midfield minutes he wanted.
Sounds like a club now realising they can’t afford to keep Kennedy and land Houston but don’t want to let him walk cheaply
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Had a quick Skim re Kennedy, any idea on his worth and if we are a chance? Don’t see him having nominated a club and assuming there are no end of suitors…
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Haff wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:03 pm Had a quick Skim re Kennedy, any idea on his worth and if we are a chance? Don’t see him having nominated a club and assuming there are no end of suitors…
The Kennedy situation currently sits as a mutual stand off between club and player. He has a year to run on his contract and while Carlton don’t really want him going elsewhere, they also understand something needs to give if they are to improve their list over the off season.
If Kennedy can find a home and at a trade value that suits Carlton, then they will part ways. He’s probably worth a pick around forty odd but the issue then becomes is that enough incentive for Carlton to release him.

Apparently, he’s a ripping bloke and as a junior, he was a man child who played as a key forward in his local NSW team ( he’s also a surprising 190cm )
He’s always been a reliable shot on goal but his lack of pace goes against him as a forward in the modern game.
I think he’d be a very solid addition to our list and the Carlton people I’ve spoken to, don’t really want to lose him. We could do a lot worse than to make a serious enquiry about him.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
WaggaPie
Been liked: 5 times

Post by WaggaPie »

He is a ripper. Level headed and respectful and always affords his time when he’s back home.
The standoff at Carlton is Voss waiting for him to apologize for how he carried himself after being benched in the Elimination Final. Matty standing his ground which is great. The longer it goes the better the chances Harry brings him with him. I’d expect his output to lift playing alongside him and a coach who isn’t up himself and can actually coach.
Swans hahahahahahahahahahaha professional chokers
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Kennedy would be a big win for us.. When he is on song, can help win a match. And only costs a pick in the '40s ? ....BARGAIN.

Carlton will make it hard, but there's a chance. I wonder what to do with Mitchell.. Does it signal a Macrae move trade/door?
SLORT
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by SLORT »

^ Mitchell stays with Naicos, Kennedy plays centre, and De Goey goes back to being predominantly forward (did kick 48 goals from 21 games in 2018).

I could also see Carlton taking either AJ or Reef as a straight swap given Martin gone and Owies going.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

^no way JDG goes fwd. he’s one of the games most powerful mids.
Our midfield is short so happy to bring in more grunt.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
SLORT

Re: Trade Winds: Matthew Kennedy

Post by SLORT »

The season to look at is 2022, where he played more midfield. Disp - 24.5 (kick 12.4, hball 12.1) Marks 4.6, Tackles 4.1, Clearances 4.6. Effic 71.4%, Pressure Acts 18.8. Also elite for drawing free kicks, and very low on giving free kicks away. These numbers stack up well to say Tom Mitchell from last year.

As a player he's always stood out to me. For some reason Carlton have always been a bit "meh" on him, maybe because they're side by side comparing him to Cripps.

28 years old next April, at 188cm and 89kg he's a good size for helping to provide space for Nick. As long as we focus on keeping him in the square I think we'll get great value from him, particularly after Mitchell retires. His relationship with Perryman is the cherry on top. Here's hoping Carlton play ball...
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Would not mind him at all.

When he was Traded to Carlton I rated him higher then Tom Green
I am Da Man
Presti35
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Presti35 »

SLORT wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:03 amHere's hoping Carlton play ball...
And this is where the problem is for me. They're not going to just hand him over. Altho they dont have a Dodoro there do they?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
The likelihood of Kennedy playing elsewhere would increase if Houston declares his preference is to get to Carlton. They would receive both salary cap relief and an extra draft pick by releasing Kennedy and that’s something they are going to need if Carlton is to be Houston’s new home.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Just a a thought

Seems we are going for affordable players who are on a list, rather than unwanted delisted players in the hope of polishing a tur..d.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

Even if we don't come to a deal this year, he is an unrestricted free agent in 2026. So I think Carltown realise that moving him now gives them salary room (who knows, may have been brought over from GWS on a back-ended salary) for a bigger fish (Houston), and a draft pick that they'll possibly need for Camporeale. Interesting side note on the Camporeale twins ~ weren't they highly rated at the start of the season? Seems like they're not expected to be within the top 30 now...Hmm, smells a bit fishy. I mean, it's not like Carltown has a history of trying to game the system...
Presti35
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Presti35 »

Hmm, it feels like a lot will depend on Houston.

We've been ruled out for Dan. So it'll be North or Blues, however, talks between Port and Carlton have not started off well. Hopefully Dan doesnt get to the Blues, but also hoping it doesn't negitavly affect out chance at Kennedy.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!