Trade Winds : Ollie Lord

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Rick
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by Rick »

Apparently the Pies are keeping an eye on Ollie Lord from Port.
5:11pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by 5:11pm »

Club spoke to Ollie Lord today.
Could be the young monster we need 🙏
Newelly
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Newelly »

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/playe ... statistics

Lord played more in 2023 than this season. Georgiades seems to be the first-choice key forward at Port with Dixon putting his battered body through 2 seasons too many and now retired.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by piffdog »

Lord a replacement for Cox? Straight swap for Joe Richards?
Lord has shown a bit as a young guy. Would be a little surprised if they let him go.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Podpicken

Post by Podpicken »

I'd be very happy if we landed Lord. Can remember watching a couple of his games and thought he showed a helluva lot of promise.
O Lord, our saviour... maybe. 22yo, hits his straps as a 23-24yo and we may have a powerful unit up forward for 10 years.
Billy Picken, the great No. 25 in the sky!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Trade Winds: Ollie Lord

Post by LaurieHolden »

If Port don't have room for the only forward that did this in the 2023 finals series, then I'd happily invite him down for a tour of the 'whatever we're calling it now centre'.
I can't imagine Port would be in any rush to let him go with Dixon retiring and Marshall having undergone a new brain scan as concerns mounted over his AFL future following a fifth concussion in three years.

Lord suffered a lacerated kidney during the 2023 off-season which caused him to lose 10 kgs of weight, then on return during a practice match he suffered high tibia bone bruising interrupting his pre-season which ultimately derailed his 2023 season.
He's contracted to Port until 2026, so they don't need to do a thing.

Romantic as it is, I do wonder why Geelong didn't pursue him as a project player in the 2020 National Draft. https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/ollie-lord/
His draft profile bio was appealing enough coupled with that he is a grandson of a 100 game Brownlow, Carji and Premiership medallist.
I'm left wondering what the knock on him was. Maybe another Covid anomaly?
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... _Lord.html
Geelong traded in Jeremy Cameron but then took another Geelong Grammar teammate of Lord's at pick #47.
Hawks went with #46 Tyler Brockman but then surprisingly signed a KPF in Jackson Callow during the MSD, who many of us including me wanted to get to the Club.
Port drafted him @ pick #49.

I always then get concerned about whether the prospect then failed character assessments, as you would expect a then 195cm / 84kg KP prospect with that pedigree presenting in the yearling yard goes before the 2nd round at a minimum. Maybe @Pies2016 has some insight here?
Something doesn't' add up. Then again, Nick Larkey went at pick #73 in 2016. :cry:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2020

"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
SLORT
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by SLORT »

piffdog wrote: ↑Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:53 am Lord a replacement for Cox? Straight swap for Joe Richards? Lord has shown a bit as a young guy. Would be a little surpriused if they let him go.
195cm, so yeah no, not for Cox. As to letting him go, they've struggled for genuine forwards. Rat has been tried and proved ordinary, and Dixon is on his last leg. So yeah, not really offering much.

Though he may be playing possum so he can get to the Cats as a castoff...

"He comes from good roots, with the Sandringham Dragons and Geelong Grammar product the grandson of Geelong’s 1962 Brownlow medallist and 1963 premiership star, Alistair Lord."
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Re: Trade Winds : Ollie Lord

Post by Mr Miyagi »

If Lord goes to Geelong, the rort is on. Apparently the AFL is looking into Geelong’s trading, but I’d say they’re only saying that and not actually doing anything about the “business interests” and property discounts. If we get Lord, it’ll be the second Ollie who complains it’s too far to see family in Geelong and requests a trade there after a year or two. We’d want to be 101% sure of his commitment to Collingwood.
Presti35
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Presti35 »

Thank you Mods for creating new threads for linked players. It is very helpful and much tidier. :)
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Presti35 »

This would be a great pick up. He is no superstar forward, but he is young, strong, can mark, kicks straight, and can average 1 or 2 per game. And 195cm KEY FORWARD!!

Georgiades is their #1 guy. But I do wonder about the retirement of Dixon. Wouldn't you think Lord could take over in that spot? Also his link to Geelong is a worry, but with Henry and Shannon Neale, is there room? The Dees have also shown interest and may have better trade options, but why would he want to go there?

Could this be a straight swap, Richards for Lord? If not, what could the trade look like??
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Jack Lukosius is coming in so there might be a chance to get Lord.

Day by day, dear Lord,
of thee three things I pray;
to draft a key forward, clearly,
to not pay, dearly,
to top the Coleman, nearly,
day by day.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Magpie Russ wrote: ↑Thu Sep 26, 2024 1:56 pm Jack Lukosius is coming in so there might be a chance to get Lord.
Good point, Jack Lukosius and Georgiades would be ahead of him & Marshall. There may be other options on Ports list?

Perhaps Lord is happy to move to Vic, maybe he was told he would be 4th banana?

A promising prospect, but he may well be gettable.

Port may feel Richards for Lord is a good deal for them too.
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Port Adelaide - Key Forwards
* Jeremy Finlayson 28yo 197cm
* Todd Marshall 24yo 198cm
* Mitch Georgiades 22yo 192cm
* Ollie Lord 22yo 197cm
* Thomas Scully 19yo 203cm
SLORT
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by SLORT »

Sam Weideman 197cm...Just saying, don't get your hopes up.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 29 times

Post by think better »

Lord would be a great pick up - I reckon he could develop into something pretty special if he remains uninjured. He's surprisingly agile for a bigger guy and can take a mark
I think therefore I think - I think