#8 Lachie Schultz

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: #8 Lachie Schultz

Post by K »

Big T wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:22 pm While I like Lachie I think the article is yet another political piece aimed to deflect from the loss of our first round top 10 pick in a super draft. They stuffed up, not Lachies fault, but they can’t change it and it is what it is.
Yeah, not his fault, but needs to do more. Much more. Ya don't win flags with just a few good-looking tackles.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I think the problem might be who’s top dog? Elliot, Hill, Schulz, Checkers? I’d like to see one of them put their hand up, say I’m on today fellas, and demand space in the forward line to lead etc. This year they regularly chipped it around despite marking it in the forward 50 — go back, take your shot at goal. I don’t want selfishness, but I don’t want them to be too unselfish either. Hill was the biggest culprit being too unselfish this year though.

I didn’t get to training much this year, is Schulz clicking with the other players? I hope it’s not an issue like with Grundy where he just wasn’t clicking with the mids and doing his own thing

Put your hand up son and say your Le top dog today and kick a bag.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Lochie will be much better next season, with a year under his belt. Thats my take.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
SLORT
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by SLORT »

So it's a case of watching who is drafted @ #10 and comparing games / accolades etc with whatever Schultz achieves during his time at Collingwood. Could be a fun exercise...
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Big T »

SLORT wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:10 am So it's a case of watching who is drafted @ #10 and comparing games / accolades etc with whatever Schultz achieves during his time at Collingwood. Could be a fun exercise...
We would never do that surely, it would get boring after 80 years or so
Buon Giorno
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ You might only have to wait 4 or 5 years - Sydney took Blakey at 10 in 2019 and GWS took Tom Green with that pick in 2018. Of course, pick 10 is one of those “could be anything” mid-range picks - our worst effort at 10 was Nathan Freeman in 2013 (but we also took Chris Egan at 10 in the prior decade). That said, Sheed went at 11 and Patrick Cripps at 12 that year, so there’s probably value around 10, if you know what you are doing. Adelaide, eg, plucked Phil Davis and Dangerfield in successive drafts at 10.

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter - at the end of the 2023 season, Collingwood didn’t place value on what someone might become by 2029 - they were recruiting to top up for a crack at back to back flags. They made the Schultz call and there’s not much merit revisiting it - we would all have made the call to top up on best available 25-28 year old talent at that time, in those circumstances. The same approach worked wonders in 2022.

I think it’s a pity they moved Ginnivan on but that’s a whole separate question - and given the fine collection of potatoes we have sprouting in the VFL, there was never a need to do that to bring Schultz into the list.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

@Pies4shaw While it's only part of the KPIs as to the value a player will bring to the team, if Schultz kicks more than Ginnivan next year, one of us will have to change their signature for 2026 to "I was wrong on Schultz"
Are you in?
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Culprit
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Culprit »

If Stringer lands at the Pies, there will be a competition for who's the most hated player in Black and White. :D

Shultz does the job the Coaches want not what Supporters want.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Culprit wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:14 am If Stringer lands at the Pies, there will be a competition for who's the most hated player in Black and White. :D
Why are people so unkind?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Stringer aint coming, Eddie made this VERY plain on Footy Classified.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

I've always thought Ginnivan was sunk at Collingwood before recruiting Schultz was even thought of. He wasn't getting games before that and that was because Bobby Hill had taken his place and proved far superior in that role. Between that and his poor attitude, Ginnivan was on borrowed time. Given that, comparisons between Ginnivan and Schultz arent that valid.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Culprit wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:14 am Shultz does the job the Coaches want not what Supporters want.
Exactly. Opinions differ but in my book opinions from the club count far more than those here. I also have a feeling that after the initial settling in period and a full pre-season, Shultz will have a much better season.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
eddiesmith
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Gerry Cooper wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 11:17 am I've always thought Ginnivan was sunk at Collingwood before recruiting Schultz was even thought of. He wasn't getting games before that and that was because Bobby Hill had taken his place and proved far superior in that role. Between that and his poor attitude, Ginnivan was on borrowed time. Given that, comparisons between Ginnivan and Schultz arent that valid.
It’s definitely a case of Ginnivan was out the door so we started looking at ready made replacements. Surely no one thinks we got rid of Ginnivan to recruit Schultz?

But in terms of goals per game this year, Schultz sits above Ginni, so not the massive failure made out by his detractors. Plus I don’t think Schultz will shit himself in a final like Ginni did every time he got tackled v Port…