Brownlow Count.

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Arch@M32
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Brownlow Count.

Post by Arch@M32 »

Nick does now have the best career Votes per game average.
This count put him in front of Haydn Bunton who averaged 1.04 votes per eligible game.
Nick averages 1.10 across all games or 1.18 when finals are removed.
77 votes, 70 games total, 65 home and away games.
Arch@M32
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Arch@M32 »

pieboy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:49 am The other top players actually kick the ball. The game is called football for a reason
And that reason is because it's played on foot and not on horseback. Not because of how the players move the ball.
jonmac1954
Been liked: 19 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

@LaurieHolden mate - not specifically for the Brownlow medal - but there has always been a Collingwood bias since the 1930's generated by that 4pete and other flags close to it. In other competitions this would have run it's course and gradually faded away. Not so with our competition.

Because the media has assiduously kept the fires stoked and will never relent now - there is too much revenue to be made by fostering it.

My first live match was when I was 10 years old in 1964 which makes it 60 years I have been supporting my Pies and 6 decades of enduring the smarmy backhanded compliments and outright slanderous statements of first the printed and now the all powerful media moguls leaves ZERO doubt in my mind.

Collingwood always has been and always will be the despised but very necessary cash cow, to be used up and despised at the same time.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Player vote tallies for our club. Some very notable omissions — Darcy Cameron had some big games, Sidebottom should have polled in at least one game, many others. It’s our story — even in winning games, opposition players get the votes.

Nick Daicos - 38
Jordan De Goey - 8
Jack Crisp - 5
Patrick Lipinski - 5
Josh Daicos - 3
Jamie Elliott - 3
John Noble - 3
Scott Pendlebury - 2
Beau McCreery - 1

You know what? Naicos is a competitive beast, this is absolutely going to fire him up for a big preseason and he’ll be breathing fire 2025. I think a few players are going to feel a bit insulted at the lack of umpire respect to our club and I hope they too use it as fuel over the summer.
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

^Agreed re Sidey and Darc but I believe Nick is a different beast.

Aside from his dad the strongest influence in his footy career has been Pendles a vastly underrated player despite universal respect league wide. Nick IS a competitive beast, but his main competitor is his previous performances - like his mentor he is focused on self-improvement I would certainly not be surprised if he isn't devastated about the Chaz.
BBHS
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by BBHS »

One of the most unwatchable counts of all time. Painful I would describe it as.
Presti35
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Presti35 »

Nick could easily have 2 brownlows at this point. Which is crazy to think. But he does have a premiership, thats the main thing.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Fantastic effort by our Nick , bloody marvelous. He is young, not even at his peak yet, his turn will come, make NO mistake. Just on Cripps, one fact, not sure if pointed out here, or elsewhere, he played FOUR games v pissweak Norf and the Eagles, 4 games, must have got 12 votes BOG in each surely ? Nick, however, or us, only played Norf an Eagles, once each, two less than Cripps. So Nick could only have got 3 votes from each game, tops thats just 6 votes. Just saying.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

AS pointed out by the scribes, in 97 other Brownlow medal years, Nick would have bolted in. But, his time will come.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Judds Blues spirit was at the count, absolutely.

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^@Piesnchess
R4 North - 3 votes
R16 Richmond - 3 votes
R19 North - 3 votes
R24 WCE - 3 votes

https://www.afl.com.au/brownlow-medal/l ... rRound=NaN
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

jonmac1954 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:20 am Collingwood always has been and always will be the despised but very necessary cash cow, to be used up and despised at the same time.
I’m also around your vintage and totally agree with your comments but I have really felt angry and annoyed that the club did not use this position to their advantage on a few occasions. We have always played ball when it was disadvantageous to do so. We have had to accept some crazy decisions and changes due to our dominance that we accepted without a challenge. We have been too weak at times to press home our advantage as the AFL’s strongest and best supported club.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Lone Ranger
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Lone Ranger »

I had Nick on 39 votes so pretty close. Who would have thought that wouldnt be enough to win.
I didnt manage to find any votes for Cameron or Sidebottom.
jonmac1954

Post by jonmac1954 »

Agreed Lazza at times the club reminds me of a friend of mine in secondary school. We started off the same year and I was a little fella as I always have been but at 12 years old he was already 5 foot 11 inches in the old measurement and habitually walked around stooped like he was afraid of intimidating those of us more vertically challenged.
Now this is 1960 so 5 foot 11 inches was taller than many adult men.

Dad always said ' Don't hide your assets and accomplishments for fear you will create envy, but don't shove them down other peoples throats either.

Collingwood have been trying to appease the un-appeasable for far too many years.

It sickens me too mate.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by shawthing »

Anyone else hear 360 tonight playing an interview with Andrew Dillon's wife? She was asked who she thought would win Charlie. She said she liked Bontempelli but was told he wasn't in the picture. Dillon looked sheepish beside her. Don't tell me the AFL doesn't know who is winning and by how much. The whole count is rigged.