Brownlow Count.

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 235 times

Re: Brownlow Count.

Post by Jezza »

Final tally:

1. Patrick Cripps (Carl) = 45
2. Nick Daicos (Coll) = 38
3. Zak Butters (PA) = 29
4. Caleb Serong (Freo) = 28
5. Isaac Heeney (Syd) = 28 (ineligible)
6. Tom Green (GWS) = 27
7. Adam Treloar (WB) = 26
8. Errol Gulden (Syd) = 25
9. Matt Rowell (GC) = 25
10. Jai Newcombe (Haw) = 24
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
SLORT
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by SLORT »

I haven't liked the Downlow medal since it became the Umpires Pet midfielder award with no one winning it that was not under the umpire's nose the whole game. I despise the voting system, how it's run, the night itself, and the disconnect from the all-Australian team. It's only real purpose seems to be another excuse for a bet and that's the main reason they'll never fix it. Another corrupt money spinner for those "running" the racket...err, I mean game.
jonmac1954
Been liked: 19 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Time for change, not just with the Brownlow. The AFL has become blatantly corrupt and self serving. Umpiring has been corrupted by the very same body which is charged by supporters with keeping the game clean and consistent.

But it won't happen, the puppet strings are held by the even more corrupt media and the betting shops.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Forgetting the obvious stupidity of how Cripps constantly polled votes in a side when it loses
How doesn’t Darcy Cameron earn a single vote the entire season
I get it’s a midfielders medal really but 11 other clubs ruckmen polled votes during the season and Gawn Marshall both polled double digits and 5 others polled in more than 1 game
The fix was in when Heeney went down the media jumped on the Cripps bandwagon and had him polling votes in all bar 1 of his last 9 games.
Nick polled a single vote when we win while the opposition poll the 2&3
Honestly when I did a predictor I had Nick on 35 votes and Cripps on 32 votes. But I didn’t have him polling in almost ever lose Carlton had

Here’s a solution
Get a retired player who has no affiliation with either club playing. Pay them $1000 a game plus a free ticket in and get them to cast the votes
They understand the game

Oh well maybe next year
On a side note congratulations to Adam Treloar on finishing top 7 and topping the bulldogs votes
woodys_world69
Been liked: 25 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

the Darcy Cameron complete shutout confirms the umpires have no idea or spend no time after a game doing votes
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Undoubtedly for the modern day it's simply become an onballers medal, because 95% of the time, the best player is an on-baller.
The vast majority of the best player voting systems reflect that.
Pick any award, it's the same https://www.draftguru.com.au/

It reflects the draft. The top player is 95% of the time an on-baller.

With Ch7 involvement and the media it generates, the Brownlow is anchored as the Premier event in the calendar. If you want something else to reflect and on balance the best player, consider the Leigh Matthews Trophy.
The Brownlow Medal awards votes on a game-by-game basis, while Leigh Matthews Trophy awards a single vote based on the entire season. This has meant that key-position players have been more likely to win this award than the Brownlow Medal. For example, Wayne Carey, generally regarded as one of the league's all-time great key-position players, never won the Brownlow Medal, but he won this honour twice.

The supporters with a b&w scarf (foil) wrapped around their head will always think there's an anti-Collingwood bias. If I was a player, the Leigh Matthews Trophy would be the individual award I'd be hanging my hat on.
The All-Australian Team perhaps is where the 'Brownlow' best player might be selected, but it'll still be largely awarded to midfielders.

But ask any player, it's the Premiership medal that trumps all, and we've got a list full of them. Go Pies.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
pieboy
Been liked: 2 times

Post by pieboy »

Cripps had 266 kicks and 426 handballs for the season. The other top players actually kick the ball. The game is called football for a reason - and this was voted the best season ever by anyone with 45 votes?
Culprit
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Culprit »

I don't watch the count these days it's just scripted BS. Even the betting agencies are on the money. Cripps is 6ft 5" and a solid unit, you can't miss him. He is in the umpires faces most games hence he gets the votes. It's the umpires voting for him, no one else. Nick won't win a Brownlow until he plays midfield for 120 minutes a game.
SLORT
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by SLORT »

Why not just, as an alternative, break up the brownlow in to 4 categories? One for midfield, forward, defender, and ruck? And give each medal the name of the last player to win a brownlow in the other positions? (No idea what defender last one a brownlow...)

- Just looked it up, G Wanganeen 1993 with 18 votes. The Wanganeen medallion, yeah, AFL should like that.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by shawthing »

woodys_world69 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 6:21 am the Darcy Cameron complete shutout confirms the umpires have no idea or spend no time after a game doing votes
You're right there. The umpires do NOT deserve to vote. Period. It challenges the very integrity of the game to have officials voting. Anyone with half a brain knows that. And the results are in the pudding. Last night was a joke!

Darcy Cameron was the second best ruckman in the league this year according to the AA committee.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Cripps looked embarrassed and a little guilty.

How tf does Darcy Cameron not poll a single vote?!

Did Nick break the record for the most 1 votes in Brownlow history? Almost like the umps were hyper aware he’d be a run away winner if they gave him 2 or 3 (no issue doing it for Cripps though).

There’s been no fallout for the other umpires involved in the 2022 betting scandal. AFL buried the biggest sporting scandal in Australia or even the world. Major football identities called for a major voting overhaul last year, but again the AFL brushed it off.

Game is corrupt, don’t think for a second it’s a fair level playing field. No one will stand up for fear of losing their AFL privileges.

I am not saying Naicos should have won, but that the whole voting system is compromised.
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

pieboy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:49 am Cripps had 266 kicks and 426 handballs for the season. The other top players actually kick the ball. The game is called football for a reason - and this was voted the best season ever by anyone with 45 votes?
@pieboy How do you objectively assess his or any other players performance without watching them play? How many games did you see Cripps play as opposed to Naicos?
On your metrics, Pendlebury should hand back 2010, as he handballed more than he kicked.

After 1930, the winner was the player who had the most 3-vote games; then, if still tied, the most 2-vote games. Should we go back to that?
Cripps polled 12 three-vote games out of the 24 rounds,
Daicos polled 3 votes on 7 occasions.

The Wheelo Ratings projection system tipped Cripps for 33 votes - that was around the mark of most computer models - meaning he polled 12 more votes than expected.
Look, it could have been closer, but Cripps would have more than likely still won. Look at some of these head-scratchers -

Using their numbers, this is where he polled the extras...
- Round 3, projected to poll 1.3 votes and polled 3 votes
No massive problem here. Harry McKay was very good with five goals, but Cripps had 28 disposals and nine clearances.

- Round 4, projected to poll 0.2 votes and polled 2 votes
He was the fourth-best player on the ground per the AFL Player Ratings and the second-best Blue, and they won, so this isn’t completely ridiculous. Though he did only have 20 disposals.

- Round 9, projected to poll 1.7 votes and polled 3 votes
Hard to go past Christian Petracca, who had 21 disposals and five goals, but Cripps was second-best on the ground at worst.

- Round 12, projected to poll 1.7 votes and polled 3 votes
Sam Walsh was picked ahead of Cripps in the coaches votes, after grabbing 34 touches to Cripps’ 22, but he was in the mix for two at worst.

- Round 13, projected to poll 0.1 votes and polled 2 votes
Now we’re getting silly. Cripps was the 11th-best player on the ground per the Player Ratings, and that overstates his case, as he went at 14 per cent kicking efficiency from 19 disposals. He should not have polled these votes.

That’s eight of his extra votes, while the rest of his incredible total was gained through complete consistency.

Unfortunately for Naicos, for the second straight year, one of his rivals seriously over-achieved on what was expected and it has cost him a Brownlow.
2023 AFL Premiers
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

What matters is the Copeland, and how the players are valued inside the club. **** the umpires, they’re all Collingwood-hating cheats.
derkd
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by derkd »

Well done to P.Cripps, he does not choose the votes. By votes, the greatest season by a player, 45 votes? I think D.Martin and G.Abeltt Jr would argue otherwise (just to name a few of the modern era...let alone those of yesteryear).

One massive change, thast i have to say i really don't like on the umpire voteing. No one has in the media discussed this. Umpires now, don't see players stats before making the votes. I think it is an absurd change the AFL made last year. Make your votes from the best of your memory. I have to do it from local footy level and it is hard work, I would hate to be an AFL level umpire coming off the ground from two hours of menetally and physically draining work, to then have to tap your memery for who did what.

I am not making this arguement because Nick didn't win, he still had by votes one of the best seasons on record by votes, just not enough to win.

What i will say is that it has lead to some very strange votes, last year Lachie Neale voted three votes (late in the count) in a game he didnt even really play that well in, he was good, but not BOG.

This year you had Cripps scoreing two votes in games where he was okay, but wasnt the match winner. it only happped in a couple of games, and i don't think it means Crippes did not deserve the win....clearly he won by a big margin.

my arguement is, what if next year say, the diffrence is 1 vote, and lets say the Bont comes second to Heeny, Heeny scores one vote for a game where he was only a bit player? I am betting a penny to a pound the media will be talking about the voteing then.
Last edited by derkd on Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

Maybe stats aren’t everything?

2023 AFL Premiers