Trade Winds: Dan Houston

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Presti35 »

Just reading about Dan Houston, who was expected to go to the Dees. But with all thats going on there, that move could now be off. Again, our lack of picks is an issue, but could we step in and go for him?

Were there any other players roumered to go to the Dees, I think Waterman from WCE was another. Or are there any other Dees players that are looking to get out? Wouldnt mind Van Rooyen, Rivers or Pickett :twisted: .
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

^ We'll just have to take Dan Houston.
SLORT
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 102 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by SLORT »

Presti35 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:07 am ^ We'll just have to take Dan Houston.
Fun fact ~ just watching SEN talking about Dan Houston being the #1 rated kick in the AFL, and the 3rd highest ranked player overall. Yeah, straight swap would be nice.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by piffdog »

I would have thought Houston is going to cost more than a pick in the 20s.

I’d rather we offload Joe for some near-term currency than keep a guy who yes has some talent but is about 6th in line to make one of this positions his own in about 3 years time. The fact we are keeping all the “oldies” tells me we are here to win another flag asap (sadly not in 2024…). So we continue the trend of selling the future for the present. I don’t know if it’s right or wrong (that’s a matter of opinion), but I don’t like the idea of a “rebuild” so I guess the option is constant renovations.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Magpies join chase for Port Adelaide’s Dan Houston. The Age, September 3, 2024
Collingwood have joined Carlton and St Kilda in an effort to convince All-Australian defender Dan Houston to leave Port Adelaide at season’s end despite the likelihood of a trade remaining small. The suspended Houston told South Australian radio last Friday he would be at Port Adelaide next year after speaking to the Magpies and the Blues while in Melbourne for the AFL awards night last week. Houston is aware that he is most likely to be retained by Port Adelaide, where he is happy. “I love the place. I love the football club and the football club has been good to me, so I am committed to Port Adelaide,” Houston told 5AA.

Port Adelaide were after two first-round selections for the dual All-Australian, which looked possible when Melbourne were interested, however Houston cooled on that plan as the Demons endured the turmoil relating to Christian Petracca’s strong stance that the club needed to address ongoing issues. Port Adelaide don’t want to lose Houston but saw the chance to get into a deep draft and fill his position with unrestricted free agent Harry Perryman if Houston was determined to return to Victoria.

The Magpies traded out their 2024 first-round selection for Lachie Schultz last year but will negotiate with Gold Coast after defender John Noble requested a trade, making it difficult for them to come up with a package suitable for Port Adelaide. Collingwood’s Joe Richards is weighing up an offer from Port Adelaide, which could form part of a Magpies offer to the Power.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Culprit
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Culprit »

Dan Houston is the first name that has me interested and in saying that we are at the back of that far queue in grabbing him. We are 40m behind the starting blocks at the Stawel Gift. We pick up Dan it will be a miracle.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

But if Dan says "Collingwood", then we can get it done. However, Joe and next years first could be the best we can offer.
Take_a_Screamer

This is how we get Dan Houston
Ash Johnson...you beauty
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by shawthing »

Piesnchess wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 1:25 pm Houston, a tough, dour backman,
He's more than that. He's an AA attacking backman. Nothing dour about him at all.

But I suspect we'll miss out on everyone important, because Collingwood sadly doesn't do well in the trade period. Clubs don't want to deal with us.
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by piedys »

shawthing wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:21 pm If we can get Dan Houston as well that would make a great trade period. At the very least we MUST do something.
The guy would have rocks in his head to want to remain at Port Powder Puffs after tonight's abomination.
Many walk-outs at three-quarter time again. Straight sets coming up for these finals frauds.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Jen2310
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Jen2310 »

Forget Houston
Get in the ear of Bergman.
Take_a_Screamer

BazBoy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:46 am Saw some where Leppitsch had asked Suns for pick 12 in exchange for John Noble

Is that correct & is there any movement??
Yes pick 12...
Magpies’ reported asking price for John Noble could unlock monster trade. "Port Adelaide star Dan Houston's desire to return to Victoria has been widely documented, with links to both St Kilda and Carlton... but could the Pies swoop in?"
https://www.zerohanger.com/magpies-aski ... de-154992/

Four Victorian clubs that have met with Houston amid wish to return home:-
  • Carlton, Collingwood, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs
  • the quartet of clubs met with the two-time All-Australian on the same day in recent weeks
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/09/11/ ... turn-home/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 182 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

North Melbourne has reportedly placed their first-round selection for the 2025 AFL Draft on the table in a bid to lure contracted Port Adelaide defender Dan Houston to Arden Street.

Sauce:
https://www.zerohanger.com/
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Take_a_Screamer

"The Saints are believed to have pulled away from the Dan Houston race, leaving Carlton, Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs in the hunt. "North Melbourne, too, has held interest in Houston and put forward its 2025 first-round pick for him, but the Roos weren't part of the clubs he spoke with recently."

Victorian club “cools” on AA star: AFL trade news
https://www.zerohanger.com/victorian-cl ... ws-155065/
LaurieHolden wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:45 pm North Melbourne has reportedly placed their first-round selection for the 2025 AFL Draft on the table in a bid to lure contracted Port Adelaide defender Dan Houston to Arden Street.
Re Roos interest:
https://www.zerohanger.com/roos-reporte ... ws-155014/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 182 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

According to Gettable, we're still up to our guts in Houston.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/7a9SzK ... 1f21f748f7

They suggest it certainly involves getting pick#12 out of GCS for John Noble.
Port is still interested in Joe Richards.
Peatling has 6 Clubs chasing his signature, including us.
We've come hard late for Perryman.

No doubt this trade period will be complicated, and we'll need to cross the streams. I've no idea, but I'll play list manager for a moment ~
I suspect Port who have chased Lukosius for 4 years might need to get us involved in order to satisfy the GCS.
So here goes ~

Collingwood: trade Richards to Port for pick#37 (483 points) >
Collingwood: trade Future 1st & pick#33 (563 points) to Port (if it was this year, it would be 1395+563 = equivalent 1958 points = top 10 points value) >
Collingwood: trade Noble to Suns + pick #37 (483 points - received from Port) >
Suns: trade pick #12 (1268 points) to Collingwood >
Suns: trade Lukosius to Port >
Suns: receive Port pick #33 (563 points) + Port pick #55 (207 points) + Noble >
Port: receive Lukosius + Richards + Collingwood Future 1st >
Port: trade Houston to Collingwood >
Collingwood: receive Houston + Suns pick #12.

Everyone gets their man, and no-one is left shortchanged in draft currency. Simples... :roll:
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers