#11 Daniel McStay

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

Dan just kicked VFL Pies 1st goal from a mark in front of goal
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Played around half of the game. Kicked the first goal for Collingwood. Involved in plenty of packs and tackles, so the knee received a decent work out. Moved well and kicked 1 .1 in his comeback game. Maybe a full game in the VFL next week and then all being well, a return to the big league against Tigers.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
stui magpie
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

From what I watched he played about half of each of the 1st 3 quarters. Understandably looked short of a gallop but competed well and did a few nice things. No signs of being tentative with the knee, he went into every contest full tilt.

I'd give him a full VFL game next week if I was in charge just to knock a bit more rust off.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

VFL lost I assume?
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

McStay got through the VFL unscathed.
Hopefully he can play a full game next week.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but a great little interview with him after the game: https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/ ... 0855120001

Well done on putting the rehab yards in to accelerate the process, lad. You can't ask more than that from a player.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

If he’s breathing, he’s in!

C’mon big boy!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 85 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm with you TP. 8)
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 51 times

Post by warburton lad »

Whether McStay plays against Hawthorn next week depends on a number of factors:

1) Do we continue with a small forward line set up against the Hawks relying on Krueger as, essentially, the only tall?

2) Will any of Cox, Mitchell, McCreery, Mihocek, Steene, Eyre be available (totally unlikely due to injury...)

3) Is he 'ready' after just a half of footy in the VFL? (despite the incredible block of work he has done to get back, nothing replaces time on the field in actual matches)

4) How McStay has pulled up after the time on ground yesterday...

In terms of the VFL losing ten games in a row, quite simply, there has been a dearth of key position/rucks in the team. Consider the injuries to the following: McStay,Murphy,Eyre, Begg, Steene, Cox, Mihocek,Krueger and Dean, all guys missing for extended periods from either our AFL or VFL programme.

This has had a deleterious effect on the composition of both our AFL and VFL teams. If we had the injury profile of 2023 rather than this year, we would be firmly entrenched in the AFL eight and the VFL finals...

Keep the faith folks. Our Club has the motto 'Side-By-Side' for a reason.

Let's get around the AFL and VFL team whilst our First 23 season has a pulse...

Floreat Pica.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

If we are to salvage our season , DMac is gunna be a big part of it.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Play the big fella, the Dawks match is our last shot in the locker to keep our season alive, lose and its all over, win and its game on. Play him.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

dp
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Play the big fella, the Dawks match is our last shot in the locker to keep our season alive, lose and its all over, win and its game on. Play him.

KenH

Post by KenH »

Hopefully we win the next two without him and then bring him back to make a run to the finals!
Cheers big ears
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Piesnchess wrote:Play the big fella, the Dawks match is our last shot in the locker to keep our season alive, lose and its all over, win and its game on. Play him.
Yep he has to play against the Dawks, it’s all or nothing. Nothing to be gained by playing him in the seconds when he’s desperately needed in the seniors. I must be the optimists’ optimist but I still believe that we can make the finals and have just about the best team in (unless we get more bloody serious injuries in the next few weeks), and scare the living daylights out of whoever we play. Admit that everything has to fall into place perfectly for this to happen but I don’t think it’s beyond the realm of possibility. In fact I’ll put it in the probable category. We can turn ourselves around but we have to play our very best football and apply enormous amounts of manic, unrelenting pressure. Need to treat the games as finals and go all out. Yes, we can
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️