Football media (press / radio / commentators et al)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 85 times

Post by RudeBoy »

We've always had to deal with the anti-Collingwood bias, which is in the DNA of most non-Collingwood people. There's nothing new about this. However, often, what we perceive as anti-Collingwood commentary, is actually the commentators encouraging and building up the team which is being beaten or coming back from behind. I suspect they are instructed to do this, to generate excitement in the game.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

RudeBoy wrote:...However, often, what we perceive as anti-Collingwood commentary, is actually the commentators encouraging and building up the team which is being beaten or coming back from behind. I suspect they are instructed to do this, to generate excitement in the game.
I agree. We are playing Freo on their home ground and the commentators are always going to build them up for the home audience watching the broadcast. They often do that.

What annoyed me was Hodge, Richo, and BT bemoaning the umpiring now versus the good old days and not calling the actual game. We had to put up with over five minutes worth of that in the third quarter (I think) and then more after "that" decision. I dont give a rats what their opinions are. I want to hear them calling the game!

I did like Jonathan Brown after the match with his comment about what that umpire might think about his decision "when he is alone and having a coffee". That was entertaining at least.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Simply_Brutal wrote:Hodge was passionately against the free on Sullivan and then advocating a 50 in favour of Collingwood.

Some of you lot are so sensitive. If anything the commentary was talking as if we had already won in the 2nd. You’re being ridiculous.
Hodge made 18 special comments of which 17 were Freo favourable and 1 anti umpires. The whingeing squib is still bitter about 2023 GF. Oh yeah, as for the financial advice ads Luke, you're about as credible as Ivan Milat giving tourism advice!
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
MagpiesTheGreat

Post by MagpiesTheGreat »

The commentary team - a bunch not-so-funny clowns
Presti35
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Presti35 »

"Luke Hodge STFU!"

We turned it on to commentary from "The Bev Show". Sadly, it was actually more entertaining than Ch7.
Hodge and Richo are just bad at the job. Yes they were good players, but their jobs should be going to professional callers.

I felt this way about Cameron Ling. He was an awful commentator/special comments person. Especially when Geelong were playing and he was pretending to be excited for the other team.

This is what I like about US sports. You can listen to the call from your own teams broadcast team. We need to do that here. Not "Press red for Ed". Just pro commentators approved to call for the clubs games.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times

Post by shawthing »

Presti35 wrote:^
Actually Carlton Radio on SEN is good value. It really is. It was especially good listening to that last quarter when we beat them. Geez they were flat when the siren went. :lol:
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

^Ditto the MONDAY BLUES, on Utube, take a peek. Six one eyed Arab (by their own admission) Bluescum fans, whingeing and carrying on, when they lose. They call us the filth, and come out with tired old jokes, like Pies fans are feral, have few teeth, and haunt Centrelink Offices daily. Total dickheads, but very hilarious. :lol: :lol:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Big article on role of umpiring and prognosis for teams to make finals...
"If you’ve ever struggled to understand how damaging an 0-3 start can be, just look at Collingwood."

AFL Rd 11 Talking Points: True problem with AFL’s umpiring furore exposed; Grand Finalist is officially done
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 7426b44c6d
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
i hate carlton
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by i hate carlton »

Jame Brayshaw is an awful commentator and ads nothing of value. BT i cannot stand. Roaming Brian should be shot into the sun.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
Presti35
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Presti35 »

JB is the best one of the Friday night crew.

But commentary can really make a moment even better.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times

Post by shawthing »

Gerard Whateley is easily the best commentator in Australian sport. Listen to his call of the last two minutes of the GF. Magical.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by doriswilgus »

I miss Dennis Cometti and Bruce Macavaney.Now they were decent commentators ,who didn’t try to make it all about themselves,like BT does today.
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

BT, Richo, Mung Hodge and the other Welfare barrickers were total ARSE again tonight
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

^^^^

Don’t they just love it when we lose? It’s party time, especially for BT the big turd. They are easily pleased in life if that’s all they need
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

[quote="lazzadesilva"]^^^^

Don’t they just love it when we lose? It’s party time, especially for BT the big turd. They are easily pleased in life if that’s all they need
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever